2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SiLo

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 01:19
SiLo wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 17:25
atanatizante wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 17:17

Soft tyres, in this case the C3 tyre, generally have a much lower operation window than H tyres, in our case C1.

So based on track conditions in the last 13 laps or so (26 degrees C track temp and a green track) your best option on both grip and working window point of view is (almost) always the S tyre.

In VER's case, he/the team had opted for the C1/H tyre due to overheating the C2/M tyres in the first stint when he was at full speed trying to keep pace with the Mercedes drivers in front, coz his car setup was towards to dry race and particularly towards the H tyre one, the main race tyre for a one-stop M-H strategy had it would have been a dry race. If he was on the pole on Sunday he would have run in clean air and thus could be able to manage better the C2/M tyre for sure not to overheat them ...
What a shame he didnt have the pace to take pole, or be fast enough on the medium tire in the first stint. The RB was easily the third fastest car at Silverstone.
Nico Rosberg, a straight shooter, disagrees with your conclusion.
The laptimes disagree with Nico Rosberg.
Felipe Baby!

basti313
basti313

SiLo wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 14:28
PlatinumZealot wrote:
SiLo wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 17:25

What a shame he didnt have the pace to take pole, or be fast enough on the medium tire in the first stint. The RB was easily the third fastest car at Silverstone.
Yes, but to what is this the answer?
The McLarens were set up for a wet track. Obviously most downforce, killer while they were with Slicks on the moist track. Bottled strategy and pitstop.
The Bull was set up for a dry (and grippy) track. And the setup was somehow bottled with a completely off front wing in the first stint.
Only Merc nailed the setup.

Sorry, but what does this mean? Every dog has his day?
Don`t russel the hamster!

SiLo

basti313 wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 14:54
SiLo wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 14:28
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Yes, but to what is this the answer?
The McLarens were set up for a wet track. Obviously most downforce, killer while they were with Slicks on the moist track. Bottled strategy and pitstop.
The Bull was set up for a dry (and grippy) track. And the setup was somehow bottled with a completely off front wing in the first stint.
Only Merc nailed the setup.

Sorry, but what does this mean? Every dog has his day?
It just means that the mercedes was the fastest car across the entire race. Hence, why it won.

It's not that deep.
Felipe Baby!

Lasssept

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

atanatizante wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 14:12
214270 wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 19:08

I don’t understand how anyone is claiming the bulls were faster.

https://postimages.org/

Can you see it now? It`s all about the last 10 laps of the race :D ...
That’s the hard tyre vs the soft tyre. The hard tyre was the superior tyre to be on in the end. With Norris and Hamilton on hards in the final stint, Max would make no gains.

Luscion
Luscion

Lewis expects Merc to be even stronger with the next upgrades and fighting at the front more consistently

https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/11/mer ... -hamilton/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mercedes identified the developing point which put George Russell out of the British Grand Prix early on in the race, the team’s trackside engineering director Andrew Shovlin confirmed. Russell started the race from pole position but lost the lead before being called in to retire.

“Unfortunately we knew that we had an issue relatively early in the race, so we were tracking this from the first stint,” said Shovlin in a video released by the team. “We didn’t know that it was going to be terminal, but it’s all linked to a leak that was in the water system that was causing the pressure to start to drift, and ultimately when we stopped the car, it was to protect the power unit.

“We knew that we were never going to finish the race. What you don’t want to do is finish the race and destroy the power unit, then you’ll be looking at a penalty possibly later in the year. So it was preventative, but there was no way that we were going to get to the chequered flag.”
Russell PU survives for another day.

https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/11/rac ... p-11-07-7/

PU issues must’ve come quite suddenly, first mention was Lap 32 - well into his Inter run, retiring 2 laps later.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

r85
r85

How well does the current W15 perform in hot conditions? At the moment it looks like it will be a very hot race which is (or was) exactly what the car doesn't like and I'm expecting a one-off Ferrari resurgence considering the track layout and temperatures

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

r85 wrote:
12 Jul 2024, 19:48
How well does the current W15 perform in hot conditions? At the moment it looks like it will be a very hot race which is (or was) exactly what the car doesn't like and I'm expecting a one-off Ferrari resurgence considering the track layout and temperatures
We have not seen the Mercedes tackle hot conditions with their new understanding of this car.

Last year, the biggest issue that Mercedes had in hot weather was cooling. In Hungary they had to turn down the PU because of how hot it was. I assume this has been corrected in the off season.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Jul 2024, 21:54
r85 wrote:
We have not seen the Mercedes tackle hot conditions with their new understanding of this car.

Last year, the biggest issue that Mercedes had in hot weather was cooling. In Hungary they had to turn down the PU because of how hot it was. I assume this has been corrected in the off season.
That depends on whether that would compromise the rest of the season. I doubt they have a specific cooling package for Hungary.

atanatizante

Tvetovnato wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 18:03
atanatizante wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 14:12
214270 wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 19:08

I don’t understand how anyone is claiming the bulls were faster.

https://postimages.org/

Can you see it now? It`s all about the last 10 laps of the race :D ...
That’s the hard tyre vs the soft tyre. The hard tyre was the superior tyre to be on in the end. With Norris and Hamilton on hards in the final stint, Max would make no gains.
Nope! The H tyre was just the optimum tyre at those track conditions and more so setup choice only for RB20, in order to enter into the tyre optimum working range, even though this tyre was almoast 1 sec/lap slower. They based their conclusion down to the first stint on M tyre when they overheat them and VER was slowing down just to decrease the thermal deg and wearing sooner hence the need for more stops. Had he opted for the S tyre he'd face a more drastically situation than NOR, coz his car was set up for the dry conditions and the H tyre ... Why it's so hard to comprehend those logical things for you?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Dunlay
Dunlay

PapayaFan481 wrote:
14 Jul 2024, 01:03
AR3-GP wrote:
r85 wrote:

That depends on whether that would compromise the rest of the season. I doubt they have a specific cooling package for Hungary.
The problem was more prevalent last season and if they have made fixes with the latest set of cooling configurations of the PUs that started the 2024 season, they can be optimistic. They don't need a seperate cooling package for Hungary. If the conditions are far more aggressive, then every team has to open vents on the engine covers and bigger openings around exhaust. Hopefully Hungary would baking hot and that should give them a good indicator of how the car behaves, both on engine side and on tyres. If they retain their pace, then that's a good sign for the rest of the year. Else, they would be threat only in ambient or less than ambient/cooler condition.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I forgot that Mercedes had cooling problems in Bahrain:

https://www.racefans.net/2024/03/07/mys ... Verstappen.

atanatizante

AR3-GP wrote:
r85 wrote:

In Spain, there were scorching temps and they managed well the race as we could see. That lift and coast periods were related mainly to fuel consumption and brake management rather than PU/ICE cooling. In addition, they had here a new engine cover louvers/openings targeted for these hot races which it seems worked quite well ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus