Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
OO7
OO7

Re: Mercedes W11

Diesel wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 11:15
OO7 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 02:45
It's difficult to see how airflow close to the wheel in this region is clean up compared to the area close the crash structure which is far more open as this McLaren image demonstrates:
https://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp- ... ca0012.jpg
I literally just posted this on the previous page :wtf:
And I reposted it?

NtsParadize
NtsParadize

10.2.2 Any powered device which is capable of altering the configuration or affecting the performance of any part of any suspension system is forbidden.

Unc1eM0nty

The more I watch the footage the more cleaver and simple the design seems, you have to admire the natural way it operates, I bet they don’t even have to think about it.

As they break into a corner their weight goes forward, as they brace against the steering wheel this is forced forwards, then as they accelerate pressure is released and the wheel springs back.

geraldix
geraldix

I can't understand all this fuss about DAS legality...

It's pretty OBVIOUS Mercedes that has just spent a bunch of months, human resources and millions of dollars developing, building and testing a system that's completely ILLEGAL. Maybe for fun, maybe because they are just ignorant. After all, what do they know about building an F1 car? :roll: /s

Holm86

Mercedes’ James Allison says the team are confident that their new DAS steering system on the W11 is fully legal, and the FIA are aware of it.
https://formulaspy.com/f1/mercedes-conf ... lity-67941

SiLo

To put it it in the simplest terms possible (and why it's legal IMO):

When you turn the steering wheel radially, the toe changes, both front wheels are affected but are inversely related (toe increases one side and decreases the other side).

All Mercedes have done is add a longitudinal movement that changes exactly the same thing, except this time it is directly related (toe increase or decreases the same relative to each other on each side).

That's it. They have simply added another axis for steering.

Personally I think it's genius and will be copied by other teams quite quickly. Whilst it may sounds complex, they will figure out their own version rapidly, the real issue will likely be packaging, rather than how it actually works.
Last edited by SiLo on 20 Feb 2020, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
Felipe Baby!

bauc

geraldix wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 15:30
I can't understand all this fuss about DAS legality...

It's pretty OBVIOUS Mercedes that has just spent a bunch of months, human resources and millions of dollars developing, building and testing a system that's completely ILLEGAL. Maybe for fun, maybe because they are just ignorant. After all, what do they know about building an F1 car? :roll: /s
The ''problem'' here is the different understanding/interpretation of the wording of the rules .... so it opens door for people to question some parts legality due to the same reason. I can assure you that there will be people who will put a legit argument why this is not legal and vice versa.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

zioture
zioture

AMG.Tzan

jh199 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 14:06
AMG.Tzan wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 14:01
Where did we get the information that it changes the toe angle??
You can see the angle change as Hamilton pushes and pulls the steering wheel. There were videos a few pages back but here's another video showing it.
Nice thanks...didn't watch carefully!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

yelistener

Am I just not familar with the words or what? Pushing the steering wheel creates "negative toe in, or toe out", right? That you see less area of the inner side of the tyres.

Last edited by yelistener on 20 Feb 2020, 15:44, edited 3 times in total.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

It MAY get copied quickly but it depends whether the nose section will need to undergo another crash test as it’s part of the structural box

Holm86

SiLo wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 15:33
To put it it in the simplest terms possible (and why it's legal IMO):

When you turn the steering wheel radially, the toe changes, both front wheels are affected but are inversely related (toe increases one side and decreases the other side).

All Mercedes have done is add a lateral movement that changes exactly the same thing, except this time it is directly related (toe increase or decreases the same relative to each other on each side).

That's it. They have simply added another axis for steering.

Personally I think it's genius and will be copied by other teams quite quickly. Whilst it may sounds complex, they will figure out their own version rapidly, the real issue will likely be packaging, rather than how it actually works.
Totally agree, theres nothing in the regulations that says the steering wheel cant move laterally, and wheel geometry can only be changed by imput from the steering wheel, which this does

turbof1

So both Allison and Hamilton said the FIA is ok with it. Interesting indeed. Teams can still protest of course.
#AeroFrodo

Holm86

turbof1 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 15:42
So both Allison and Hamilton said the FIA is ok with it. Interesting indeed. Teams can still protest of course.
ofc, but I doubt they can find any good argument why this is illegal.
Nothing says the wheels should rotate the same way when the steering wheel is moved

PhillipM
PhillipM

It's easy to copy, but far more difficult for another team to implement because packaging in that area is trick to start with given the pedal box/steering rack/dampers/rockers/reservours, etc, all in there.