2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mclaren113
mclaren113

Re: 2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

What's the weather forecast for tomorrow?
Some website say it'll sunny, others say it'll be rainy

Pyrone89

mclaren113 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 18:52
Thunderstorms in the afternoon, sunny in the morning
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Pyrone89 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 19:06
mclaren113 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 18:52
Thunderstorms in the afternoon, sunny in the morning
Too bad "Haas lightning volt" is not participating. They'd have excelled under those conditions.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

grubschumi13 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 18:38
Artur Craft wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:44
grubschumi13 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 16:03
Mercedes is the fastest car no doubt this weekend. Mercedes 2 and 3 RBR 1 and 5. Max is making that RBR look competitive. What a driver.
Max is almost always putting RB where it doesn´t quite belong, isn´t he?!

LH, on the other hand, again being outqualified by Bottas on a dry Spielberg QLF. I can only remember him beating Bottas on the wet QLF last year. Not a good record at all. One of Hamilton´s biggest strengths, probably his biggest, is abnormal ability under braking and this track has very few of that which might explain his relative lack of speed
RBR average quali is 3 while Merc is 2.5 so Merc is on ave the better car. Max is an outlier putting it in pole. Gasly, Albon and now Perez are showing this car is not then best.

All this underdog talk by Hamilton to me sounds like he is getting his excuses in early or trying to set up and make it look like he stole a pole he had no right being on.
The average quali position says nothing about which is the best car. If Gasly, Albon and Perez cannot qualify better, it doesn’t necessarily mean the RBR is a worse car, it might as well mean that they are not quick enough to extract what the car is capable of. Bottas is a good qualifier and always has been, hence he is more likely to qualify closer to Lewis. Perez has not shown any real top pace in his career, and that only gets proven this year. Albon and Gasly were not given much of a chance (at least not compared to Bottas).

I think it’s quite clear that when everything comes together for Merc, they are there. But the RBR gets there much more often and independent of conditions. You can see by the onboards how good it is compared to the Merc this year. Merc is indeed the underdog, and they will most likely not be able to turn it around either because of the limited spending this year.

fritticaldi

Is Daniel Ricciardo over the hill ? Lacklustre performance from the Aussie driver.

Juzh

max vs ham q3 (open in yt)

lando q3 lap

the EDGE
the EDGE

Juzh wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 19:24

lando q3 lap
Great lap, so smooth, hardly any correction to the steering at all… even had time for ‘weight saving’ 🤣

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

fritticaldi wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 19:15
Is Daniel Ricciardo over the hill ? Lacklustre performance from the Aussie driver.
I think it was said by someone ( a former driver) that two years in the Renault didn’t do him in favors, at least RedBull he was forced to push it.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Norris matched that McLaren from race 1. He has never been slow in that car, didn’t expect because the matched Russel and Albon in F2

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

Tvetovnato wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 19:12
grubschumi13 wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:44

Max is almost always putting RB where it doesn´t quite belong, isn´t he?!

LH, on the other hand, again being outqualified by Bottas on a dry Spielberg QLF. I can only remember him beating Bottas on the wet QLF last year. Not a good record at all. One of Hamilton´s biggest strengths, probably his biggest, is abnormal ability under braking and this track has very few of that which might explain his relative lack of speed
RBR average quali is 3 while Merc is 2.5 so Merc is on ave the better car. Max is an outlier putting it in pole. Gasly, Albon and now Perez are showing this car is not then best.

All this underdog talk by Hamilton to me sounds like he is getting his excuses in early or trying to set up and make it look like he stole a pole he had no right being on.
The average quali position says nothing about which is the best car. If Gasly, Albon and Perez cannot qualify better, it doesn’t necessarily mean the RBR is a worse car, it might as well mean that they are not quick enough to extract what the car is capable of. Bottas is a good qualifier and always has been, hence he is more likely to qualify closer to Lewis. Perez has not shown any real top pace in his career, and that only gets proven this year. Albon and Gasly were not given much of a chance (at least not compared to Bottas).

I think it’s quite clear that when everything comes together for Merc, they are there. But the RBR gets there much more often and independent of conditions. You can see by the onboards how good it is compared to the Merc this year. Merc is indeed the underdog, and they will most likely not be able to turn it around either because of the limited spending this year.
No it proves Merc has been, still is the quicker package. Max is clearly doing more in lesser equipment.

DChemTech
DChemTech

fritticaldi wrote:
I wouldn't say that. Not every car suits every driver equally. We saw it with Vettel with nearly every car since the hybrid era, and now Ricciardo seems to be uncomfortable in the current McLaren. Perhaps with more input on the design, and different handling characteristics next year, he's fully back in action. We'll see.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

DChemTech wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 20:22
fritticaldi wrote:
I wouldn't say that. Not every car suits every driver equally. We saw it with Vettel with nearly every car since the hybrid era, and now Ricciardo seems to be uncomfortable in the current McLaren. Perhaps with more input on the design, and different handling characteristics next year, he's fully back in action. We'll see.
Exactly. Even if Daniel does this all year, I wouldn't read too much into it. If he is still on the back foot next year in the new cars, then maybe.

Pyrone89

grubschumi13 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 20:20
Tvetovnato wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 19:12
grubschumi13 wrote:

No it proves Merc has been, still is the quicker package. Max is clearly doing more in lesser equipment.
The way Max has been able to hang with Mercedes for years when we all know how dominant their cars were does support te theory that he is doing special performances
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

the EDGE
the EDGE

DChemTech wrote:
fritticaldi wrote:
It amazes me how quick some people are to judge & how quick they forget

We are talking about someone who in a car that finished 5th in the WCC last year, Daniel managed to finish 5th and best midfield driver in the WDC

Unless Daniel has a Time Machine and this is the version from 2030, I very much doubt he turned over the hill, over the winter
Last edited by the EDGE on 26 Jun 2021, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.

TimW
TimW

DChemTech wrote:
fritticaldi wrote:
When he switched from Red Bull to renault he also needed some time to get up to speed. Last year with renault his driving was very good. Just seems he is not the quickest to adapt. Maybe he does not like the car characteristics. But over the hill when he was good six months ago, no.