2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

dialtone wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 19:20

Ferrari has taken out a dangerous rival from competition. And F1 brands aren't football teams, they have products to sell and marketing to run. Lewis has been a Ferrari customer for decades, is a driver, in fact potentially the GOAT depending on the next few years, Ferrari would be absolutely mad to not take the whole package, including engineers, that are coming with Lewis and use it for the next decade+ of marketing initiatives having the GOAT driving for you. $100mil/yr is a drop in the bucket.

I bet nobody in Ferrari management could believe what they were witnessing as this was unfolding. For how much they are clowned in memes, Vasseur has been an absolute sniper.
Agreed, Ferrari now has a 7-time champ on their team, not only does he bring skill to the team but a wealth of knowledge, including what he knows from Merc, they have defanged Merc somewhat, arguably will now have the strongest driver pairing for 2025 and if they can produce a car that can at least challenge the red bull, will have a chance to end their WCC drought. The amount of merch sales they will do between Charles and Lewis with tons more of fans now supporting them will be huge(it will be odd to see Silverstone and Interlagos filled with red) along with Lewis and italian/Ferrari fashion wear and probably their car sales going up a bit. He's worth the $100mil to them, and like you said whatever other engineers jump ship with Lewis to Ferrari. Elkann wouldnt have thrown heaps of cash at him if they didnt think their return on investment would be worth it.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 19:28

I honestly always thought Hamilton wouldn't really want to go to Ferrari just so he could later take a position as one of the very few greats that never went to drive for Ferrari and keep all his success within UK(-based) teams.
Not that there's anything wrong with UK teams, but being proud to only race for UK teams seems weird to me. I don't see how it would be a point of pride for Hamilton to "never drive for a foreign team".

Hamilton not arriving at Ferrari until now comes down to opportunity. There's never been a time in his career that fit until now.
A lion must kill its prey.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 20:31
Not that there's anything wrong with UK teams, but being proud to only race for UK teams seems weird to me. I don't see how it would be a point of pride for Hamilton to "never drive for a foreign team".

Hamilton not arriving at Ferrari until now comes down to opportunity. There's never been a time in his career that fit until now.
It was a very different time when he started in McLaren and he was a thoroughly British Racing Prodigy, especially with the treatment from Dennis. At that time, people who were running the show changed the rules a lot, starting in 1999, to prevent Ferrari from winning, let alone winning so much. Which ultimately did work in 05 but still left a very bitter British crowd and more importantly, British show runners.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Luscion wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 19:33
dialtone wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 19:20

Ferrari has taken out a dangerous rival from competition. And F1 brands aren't football teams, they have products to sell and marketing to run. Lewis has been a Ferrari customer for decades, is a driver, in fact potentially the GOAT depending on the next few years, Ferrari would be absolutely mad to not take the whole package, including engineers, that are coming with Lewis and use it for the next decade+ of marketing initiatives having the GOAT driving for you. $100mil/yr is a drop in the bucket.

I bet nobody in Ferrari management could believe what they were witnessing as this was unfolding. For how much they are clowned in memes, Vasseur has been an absolute sniper.
Agreed, Ferrari now has a 7-time champ on their team, not only does he bring skill to the team but a wealth of knowledge, including what he knows from Merc, they have defanged Merc somewhat, arguably will now have the strongest driver pairing for 2025 and if they can produce a car that can at least challenge the red bull, will have a chance to end their WCC drought. The amount of merch sales they will do between Charles and Lewis with tons more of fans now supporting them will be huge(it will be odd to see Silverstone and Interlagos filled with red) along with Lewis and italian/Ferrari fashion wear and probably their car sales going up a bit. He's worth the $100mil to them, and like you said whatever other engineers jump ship with Lewis to Ferrari. Elkann wouldnt have thrown heaps of cash at him if they didnt think their return on investment would be worth it.
Ferrari management must have been surprised by Toto/Merc decision honestly. They couldn't resist to making a better offer to Lewis

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

And according to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Mercedes would be wise to brace for further departures, the publication claiming it is ‘very likely’ that the exits of Serra and Hamilton will prompt some Mercedes colleagues to follow.

One figure in particular which the outlet homed in on is Musconi, claiming Mercedes’ head of trackside performance could conceivably slot into the same role at Ferrari and lead in-season development with a keen eye on 2026 when new chassis and power unit regulations will sweep through Formula 1.

Should Musconi, born in Imola, just down the road from Maranello, decide to also swap Mercedes for Ferrari, then this is described as the ‘turning point’ which could open the floodgates from Mercedes to Ferrari.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... ari-report
A lion must kill its prey.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 22:24
And according to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Mercedes would be wise to brace for further departures, the publication claiming it is ‘very likely’ that the exits of Serra and Hamilton will prompt some Mercedes colleagues to follow.

One figure in particular which the outlet homed in on is Musconi, claiming Mercedes’ head of trackside performance could conceivably slot into the same role at Ferrari and lead in-season development with a keen eye on 2026 when new chassis and power unit regulations will sweep through Formula 1.

Should Musconi, born in Imola, just down the road from Maranello, decide to also swap Mercedes for Ferrari, then this is described as the ‘turning point’ which could open the floodgates from Mercedes to Ferrari.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... ari-report
It's not looking great. I think Toto is regretting his gamble with the 1 + 1 right now

DGP123
DGP123

Hardly the floodgates. Serra was already gone, and Musconi is Italian. No surprise La Gazzetta are going to try and disrupt and stir up all kinds of stories regarding Mercedes employees, in an attempt to destabilise them even further.

Matt2725
Matt2725

I don't know.

I know they got the scoop on Hamilton to Ferrari, but it does sound like the Italian press are going overboard again and throwing out speculation as real possibilities, without any basis.

organic

Matt2725 wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 22:59
I don't know.

I know they got the scoop on Hamilton to Ferrari, but it does sound like the Italian press are going overboard again and throwing out speculation as real possibilities, without any basis.
Only formu1auno got the scoop on Ham->Ferrari. Gazzetta, Corriere etc are just speculating/generating clicks IMO

italian tierlist is Formu1a uno, then Motorsport italy, then Nunges, then the others

organic

Mark Hughes is confident Merc take the risk with antonelli

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 00:09
Mark Hughes is confident Merc take the risk with antonelli

He looks very convinced.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 16:39
DGP123 wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 16:24
Agree. Some are just stirring for Merc’s downfall, and expecting an implosion. Even that Allison to Aston garbage gets traction on here, when it’s total nonsense. Shame we live in times whereby everything is believed. Even the majority of LH’s departure and his contract with Ferrari is just rumour and hearsay. You will never know the real reasoning behind it, or the actual figures.

As for Merc, the team finished second in the constructors and this years car is Allison’s baby. This season seems written off by many before testing which is absurd. Let’s wait and see. That’s what the real fans will be doing, and indeed Alonso. Until we get a clearer picture that isn’t muddled with crap from journalists and nonsense said on podcasts, everything is still an unknown and all to play for.

Here’s to a successful 2024 for Mercedes. I fully expect the team to remain professional and help both drivers extract the maximum out of this season.
This is your post from yesterday in this thread:
DGP123 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 10:21
Completely agree. Some people still regard Merc as front runners with an aura, Those days are gone. Hamilton’s leaving, the brain drain has occurred, and now Merc face the possibility of the doldrums with George, who is not anywhere near world championship material.

Lando annoyed at re-signing for McLaren and missing out on Lewis’ seat. 😂 You must be joking. McLaren are on an upward trajectory, recruited well, and will go into this season as RB’s most likely closest rivals.
Lol 😂 i thought he was feeling differently before.

CHT
CHT

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 17:43
CHT wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 15:55
Perhaps my speculation that Merc selling the team may become a reality soon
Merc is only a part-owner. They can sell their stake, but it's only 33% iirc.
Merc selling its stake in Merc AMG will be significant as being a works team always has advantage

f1jcw
f1jcw

Hey mods, lot of speculation and --- throwing in this thread.
This is nothing to do with the team.

CHT
CHT

f1jcw wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 04:25
Hey mods, lot of speculation and --- throwing in this thread.
This is nothing to do with the team.
all that past speculation about Lewis Hamilton leaving for Ferrari has now been confirmed..