Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mantikos
mantikos

Re: Mercedes W13

thechainrule wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 19:37
organic wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 13:32

New front brake-duct outlet of the Mercedes W13 this weekend

Source: Tobi Greuner [@Tgruener] on Twitter

Looks like a 3D printed (plastic?) part?
Wow! Surely that is for mockup purposes only and not meant to be functional beyond a few laps. Based on the seam going up the left side, it looks like that was printed on and FDM printer! Low tech by F1 standards.

what you are assuming is a seam, is truly the opening and yes, this is track specific and not required beyond this race weekend

PlatinumZealot

Those ducts look like aluminum. Magnesium alloy can't be sintered can it?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 20:01
Those ducts look like aluminum. Magnesium alloy can't be sintered can it?
Are they allowed to use Magnesium? I thought it was on the banned list?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

thechainrule
thechainrule

mantikos wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 19:50
thechainrule wrote:
organic wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 13:32

New front brake-duct outlet of the Mercedes W13 this weekend

Source: Tobi Greuner [@Tgruener] on Twitter

Looks like a 3D printed (plastic?) part?
Wow! Surely that is for mockup purposes only and not meant to be functional beyond a few laps. Based on the seam going up the left side, it looks like that was printed on and FDM printer! Low tech by F1 standards.

what you are assuming is a seam, is truly the opening and yes, this is track specific and not required beyond this race weekend
The line going up this surface. FDM printers typically leave this behind when the nozzle changes to the next layer unless configured not to.

Let it be known that I am surprised to see this part here made from this technique so I wouldn't doubt it being something else. If it's meant to be functional I would expect this to be some form of SLS print (selective laser sintering) that is using a more durable and thermally appropriate material.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

cplchanb wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 19:03
Mchamilton wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 18:29
GrizzleBoy wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 16:13

Not going to bother arguing.

Let's just say there are no merc powered cars apart from merc that have zero pods.

Are there any notable gains in top speeds yet and if so are they higher than mercs?
No other team has had sidepods like Mercedes at any point
same with 2014 until now... no team had the merc nose until 2017... they did just fine... no team had zero rake until the pink mercedes.... they did just fine too...
Exactly

mantikos
mantikos

thechainrule wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 20:53
mantikos wrote:
thechainrule wrote:

The line going up this surface. FDM printers typically leave this behind when the nozzle changes to the next layer unless configured not to.

Let it be known that I am surprised to see this part here made from this technique so I wouldn't doubt it being something else. If it's meant to be functional I would expect this to be some form of SLS print (selective laser sintering) that is using a more durable and thermally appropriate material.

https://i.postimg.cc/4dksjfkQ/3dduct.png
Ah, I see, I didn't even notice that minor seam - but you are right, it is there, but its miniscule.

PhillipM
PhillipM

I don't think that's FDM'd at all, that seam is more likely just from a support or slight shift from a sintered part (there's a line on the back wall at the same height, for example).
No way I'd be making that part even in filled Ultem or similar that close to the brakes as an exhaust duct.

nico5

Any reason why the nose and FW weren't listed in the upgrade file?

EDIT: I'll answer myself: Because the FW isn't new (from old pics) and the nose probably either (grill change isn't considered an aero change probably)

djones
djones

There was hype about lots of changes. But it was always my understanding they (including PU) come at Spa, not France.

With no TD yet either, I think nothing more than a natural P5/P6 here is realistic.

Stu

thechainrule wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 20:53
mantikos wrote:
thechainrule wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/4dksjfkQ/3dduct.png
That is a shadow….
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Stu

nico5 wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 09:39
Any reason why the nose and FW weren't listed in the upgrade file?

EDIT: I'll answer myself: Because the FW isn't new (from old pics) and the nose probably either (grill change isn't considered an aero change probably)
I’m surprised that they had that much room to play with on the nostrils, the rules limit the size and state what the purpose of them is (only for driver cooling).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Andi76
Andi76

ringo wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 19:28
GrizzleBoy wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 16:38
Don't really want to argue the semantics, I'd just like to know whether the merc powered teams that have either moved away from the small sidepod concept or completely copied what is seen to be a much less draggy concept, have seen any large gains in their top speed deltas or not.

Given that mercs small side pods are blamed by some for making them draggier, it would just be nice to know whether the other merc powered teams have gone faster after enlarging theirs.
I dont think any other team have done what Mercedes have. Mercedes intepretation is very extreme and only they have experienced what works and doesnt work with it. The other merc powered teams have ordinary sidepods that were not as broad as redbull's and ferrari's. But aston martin have never had slim pods, and their perfromance is virtually unchanged even when using redbull's designs.
Williams are yet to find out what is gained from the redbull design. But they too did not have extreme pods like Mercedes.

What is telling is that Mercedes have never come out and said their sidepods were the
cause of any concern with drag or performance.

I think we will have to wait until the team comments on it.

From the data so far, it looks like the wings have a bigger role to play with the drag.
The floor downforce gives credit for them to make the wings smaller. But the winge more so than the sidepods are driving the bulk of the drag.
Its obviously not true that AM performance has not changed after their "copygate". F1.tv did an analysis about the developements of the teams yesterday and said their analysis showed that AM has indeed gained performance. It also gets very clear if you compare the performances before/after. They had the slowest car with Williams wirhout a doubt. Of course they do not have the fastest car suddenly, but since they changed their sidepods they definetely improved. Same with Williams. They are obviously more competitive than before.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Andi76 wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 12:06
ringo wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 16:38
Don't really want to argue the semantics, I'd just like to know whether the merc powered teams that have either moved away from the small sidepod concept or completely copied what is seen to be a much less draggy concept, have seen any large gains in their top speed deltas or not.

Given that mercs small side pods are blamed by some for making them draggier, it would just be nice to know whether the other merc powered teams have gone faster after enlarging theirs.
I dont think any other team have done what Mercedes have. Mercedes intepretation is very extreme and only they have experienced what works and doesnt work with it. The other merc powered teams have ordinary sidepods that were not as broad as redbull's and ferrari's. But aston martin have never had slim pods, and their perfromance is virtually unchanged even when using redbull's designs.
Williams are yet to find out what is gained from the redbull design. But they too did not have extreme pods like Mercedes.

What is telling is that Mercedes have never come out and said their sidepods were the

From the data so far, it looks like the wings have a bigger role to play with the drag.
The floor downforce gives credit for them to make the wings smaller. But the winge more so than the sidepods are driving the bulk of the drag.
Its obviously not true that AM performance has not changed after their "copygate". F1.tv did an analysis about the developements of the teams yesterday and said their analysis showed that AM has indeed gained performance. It also gets very clear if you compare the performances before/after. They had the slowest car with Williams wirhout a doubt. Of course they do not have the fastest car suddenly, but since they changed their sidepods they definetely improved. Same with Williams. They are obviously more competitive than before.
they changed a lot more than just the sidepods though, so its impossible to say for certain which parts have made the most differerence

Andi76
Andi76

Mchamilton wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 12:31
Andi76 wrote:
23 Jul 2022, 12:06
ringo wrote:

they changed a lot more than just the sidepods though, so its impossible to say for certain which parts have made the most differerence
Definetely impossible to say. But because its a big aero change - likely and for sure worth mentioning that both cars improved after changing their sidepod design. And definetely not right to say they did not improve after they changed their sidepod design. And i was refering to that comment.

pursue_one's

different rear wings