[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Team_Bart

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Congratulations to Variante for the win! The results are a bit worse than I expected. So, let's wait for the report to see what is going wrong. Also it suprised me the CoP is so far in the front, but that could be a positive twist to the characteristics of my car. Anyway, since I offered some other parts to move the cop to the front, it is a shame for this race...

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 19:34
machin wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 19:28
It will be interesting to see what Variante reveals about his front vortex generators when he publishes his Tech article.....
Let's try and guess: they improve cooling reducing flow separation inside the ducts?
I guess this is more a question for Andre... but how do the heat exchangers affect the flow pattern in the CFD computation? In real life I would expect the radiator vanes to straighten the flow... does that happen in our analysis?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 00:01
CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 19:34
machin wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 19:28
It will be interesting to see what Variante reveals about his front vortex generators when he publishes his Tech article.....
Let's try and guess: they improve cooling reducing flow separation inside the ducts?
I guess this is more a question for Andre... but how do the heat exchangers affect the flow pattern in the CFD computation? In real life I would expect the radiator vanes to straighten the flow... does that happen in our analysis?
Yes, the simulation uses a directional version of the porous media, with non homogeneous parameters.

TalnoRacing

Well done Variante!

I must be honest, I am very happy with the performance of my car (only 4 seconds off the winner) considering I was not able to run any CFD, and it is a new concept. The low drag concept paid off, but the car is lacking in downforce. Luckily I ran a very flat rear wing, so I should be able to balance the downforce easily without affecting overall aerodynamics too much.

JJR
JJR

Congratulations to Variante. Well done. Now we will have nice competition.
I overshoot it again this time at the back.I hope that at nex race I will shoot it at CoG. (At least my simulation was OK so I can trust it :?: )

LVDH

machin wrote:
Many, many questions. First of all congratulations to Variante. To me as well, as I said I would bet my money on him just after seeing only his car. It is well developed and deserves the victory.
There were actually issues with the simulation of his car. I only noticed late Friday and I knew they were to his disadvantage. As he won, I thought for the sake getting the results out, I left them as they were as he won anyways. Now that he stated thinking he would have been even faster, I am somewhat happy with my decision. I think though in order for me to not go crazy and to get things to a better quality, you guys will have to forget about the luxury of always getting the results the next weekend. I think for now, I will not challenge myself with this one week goal too much anymore and go to the two weeks as are announced on the calendar anyways. Maybe at some point, we will get some additional help for the MVRC staff. With the new teams there is much more additional work for me...

So back the the Machin question:
I guess it shows, it is a yes.

Now I will try to see what I can do for Talno...

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 09:39
machin wrote:
[...]
I don't like the example: that car works very badly, it would be much more interesting to see the cooling of a top team, not a decadent team

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 11:15
LVDH wrote:
machin wrote:
[...]
I don't like the example: that car works very badly, it would be much more interesting to see the cooling of a top team, not a decadent team
Maybe you like this one better:
Anyone interested to see how the settings for the additional source term used for the porous media that models the heat exchanger look like, should check out system/fvOptions in the case folder of one of your runs.
Looking at the image of this non-decadent team, maybe explains the picture I posted a while ago from that Jordan. Maybe someone wants to try and post their findings.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 11:49
CAEdevice wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 11:15
LVDH wrote:
Maybe you like this one better:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... RC_car.png
Anyone interested to see how the settings for the additional source term used for the porous media that models the heat exchanger look like, should check out system/fvOptions in the case folder of one of your runs.
Looking at the image of this non-decadent team, maybe explains the picture I posted a while ago from that Jordan. Maybe someone wants to try and post their findings.
:D Would it be the same with another layout? Ok, I stop complain, with a third slice the car would be completely revelaed :o

I think it would be better to use the intro car for such detailed pictures: not only from my point of view, but also for the other patecipants that can compare post processing and 3D models (available on the official website).

LVDH

You are funny. The first one was the intro car...

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:19
ok, good choice! The second one is a decadent team anyway :)

wpsiatwin
wpsiatwin

CAEdevice wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:22
LVDH wrote:
decadent?

CAEdevice

A15013950 wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 14:10
CAEdevice wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 12:22
LVDH wrote:
decadent?
Yes, I am terrified by the numbers that JJR and Variante showed in the latest race!

Ft5fTL

Congratz to Variante, JJR and CAEdevice for the podium. Seems like the competition is on fire for the 1st place. If only Idadox and TF were here. It's good to see that the new teams solving their problems and start gaining time.

By the way, i dont know it's an error or LVDH does some magic on the software for getting them, i don't have the surface lic type post proccessing that LVDH posted a couple of posts before this. Also that blue cp_tot looks cool.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

Team_Bart

LVDH wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 10:10
variante wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 15:31
Looks like Andre is not pulling out the promised car reviews ( :P ), so here is a teaser of a small tech article I will publish tomorrow (hopefully) about my car. I think I will open a dedicated page, as we used to do in the good old days.

https://i.imgur.com/ETysJ3l.jpg
I cannot wait to see this. My idea to to show some interesting aspects of the top three cars when I have time next week.
Also MVRC is still waiting for a CFD journalist to cover the championship. Please apply.

Last Friday, I was so happy to end the week, that I forgot to mention that the scrutineering results are out:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/scrutineer ... pang-2018/

Monday I will finally be able to look into the Talno issue myself, if nobody else can help him today.

Some three hours to go and we will see what happened in Sepang...
Hi, I was wondering why I got a warning, can't find it in the pictures (only the Tulip racing has my color).