Flexiwings 2024

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bluechris

Re: Flexiwings 2024

dialtone wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 13:19
Luscion wrote:Mclaren has to make changes to its rear wing

FIA are just clowns
I dont get it, why they are clowns?

dialtone
dialtone

bluechris wrote:
dialtone wrote:
Luscion wrote:Mclaren has to make changes to its rear wing

FIA are just clowns
Because 2 days ago they said it was legal. Then a complaint points out rules they are breaking and now it’s not legal.

They are supposed to know the rules, not allow selectively breaking them.

bluechris

dialtone wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 13:24
bluechris wrote:
dialtone wrote:

FIA are just clowns
Because 2 days ago they said it was legal. Then a complaint points out rules they are breaking and now it’s not legal.

They are supposed to know the rules, not allow selectively breaking them.
Oh yeah, you are right on this.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

and what about Leclerc's win in Baku? Will this be redressed?

Sergej
Sergej

good for McLaren, they managed to steal a win :D

mwillems

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 13:28
and what about Leclerc's win in Baku? Will this be redressed?
No, it was legal then. Just not now.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

I read that Mclaren gained 3 km/h speed in the straights thanks to the tricky DRS. That would be at least 0.2 seconds advantage per lap, and now it's no more.

Sevach
Sevach

Thanks to free and spontaneous pressure.

Quantum

pantherxxx wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 14:34
I read that Mclaren gained 3 km/h speed in the straights thanks to the tricky DRS. That would be at least 0.2 seconds advantage per lap, and now it's no more.
RB had around 0.3 from their rear wing in 2021 according to Hamilton, which the FIA allowed for 3 further races.
"Interplay of triads"

Vanja #66

mwillems wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 09:39
The Mclaren's main plane is pretty static, as is the RW Structure. Even the front of the central DRS flap is pinned down so aside from the leading edges, it is still gathering air at the same angle. The only flexing part on the Mclaren is the DRS flap and supporting structure.

The RB Main Plan leans back. The entirety of the Top plane on the RB leans back including the leading edge, reducing drag further. The RW structure leans back. The amount of flex on the RB is much greater, covering more carbon, more drag inducing parts and leaning them in a way that offers more drag reduction than the Mclaren can because the entirety of the RW can be made flatter towards oncoming airflow.

Let's agree to disagree.

I do think the FiA are brushing it away, but I can't see this as an example of inconsistency because the two designs are too different in their scope and in the ultimate effect on the bodywork.
The discussion is fairly moot now, but if you look at better quality videos, you'll see Mclaren wing is also getting twisted like all others. I do agree that the entire flap structure is bending more than any other wing, but the main element is also twisting and getting under increasingly more negative angle. It's inevitable, both drag and downforce will contribute to twisting, while the single-element beam wing itself is not gonna be able to resist this flexure :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

peewon

Whats amazing to comprehend is that according to Marko, RB complained 3 times about the McL rear wing which I think they used in Spa and Monza as well. And FIA basically decided to not do anything. When it suddenly gains traction on social media, they decide to crack down on it. Its should be really concerning that FIA's rule enforcement is dictated by public perception rather than sporting principles put in place.

deadhead

peewon wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 15:26
Whats amazing to comprehend is that according to Marko, RB complained 3 times about the McL rear wing which I think they used in Spa and Monza as well. And FIA basically decided to not do anything. When it suddenly gains traction on social media, they decide to crack down on it. Its should be really concerning that FIA's rule enforcement is dictated by public perception rather than sporting principles put in place.
That makes no sense... why would they do anything about it on the 3rd time? Is it because we all saw the effects? Good thing LEC pushed PIA for 30+ laps otherwise I doubt they would've done anything about it.

Crazy.

mwillems

Vanja #66 wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 15:17
mwillems wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 09:39
The Mclaren's main plane is pretty static, as is the RW Structure. Even the front of the central DRS flap is pinned down so aside from the leading edges, it is still gathering air at the same angle. The only flexing part on the Mclaren is the DRS flap and supporting structure.

The RB Main Plan leans back. The entirety of the Top plane on the RB leans back including the leading edge, reducing drag further. The RW structure leans back. The amount of flex on the RB is much greater, covering more carbon, more drag inducing parts and leaning them in a way that offers more drag reduction than the Mclaren can because the entirety of the RW can be made flatter towards oncoming airflow.

Let's agree to disagree.

I do think the FiA are brushing it away, but I can't see this as an example of inconsistency because the two designs are too different in their scope and in the ultimate effect on the bodywork.
The discussion is fairly moot now, but if you look at better quality videos, you'll see Mclaren wing is also getting twisted like all others. I do agree that the entire flap structure is bending more than any other wing, but the main element is also twisting and getting under increasingly more negative angle. It's inevitable, both drag and downforce will contribute to twisting, while the single-element beam wing itself is not gonna be able to resist this flexure :)
I'm.only talking about current mclaren vs old red bull you posted.

I can see that the flap structure moves, but the pictures you posted of the old bull, the entire wing leans back.

With the clarification I think you'll only see the leading edges made more ridgid. The flap will still lean back a lot I imagine as I don't think that was commented on by the FIA, as far as I'm aware. If that is the case, mini DRS lives on.

Quite what effect the deforming corners had is, as far as I'm aware, unknown apart from a very small amount of drag reduction.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit