Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Honda Power Unit

The engine and chassis work in harmony. A 0.5 second gain on the engine could unlock 0.5 seconds in the chassis because of the down-force that you can now use. At least that is the optimistic side of it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

GoranF1
GoranF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:The engine and chassis work in harmony. A 0.5 second gain on the engine could unlock 0.5 seconds in the chassis because of the down-force that you can now use. At least that is the optimistic side of it.
In the article it says focus will now be on termal efficienty, does that mean TJI?
(dont kill me, i am not techinical..;) )
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

godlameroso

Means getting more power out of the heat? Or converting more heat energy into mechanical and electrical energy? You can't increase heat without increasing engine stress, so you either strengthen the engine or you make a more efficient combustion process, you can't do both. At least not with the token limitation, next year they can do both.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

GoranF1 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:The engine and chassis work in harmony. A 0.5 second gain on the engine could unlock 0.5 seconds in the chassis because of the down-force that you can now use. At least that is the optimistic side of it.
In the article it says focus will now be on termal efficienty, does that mean TJI?
They are hinting at it i feel. The same 0.5 seconds was also touted by renault for their engine upgrade in monaco but it is still unconfirmed if the upgrade was TJI; though most assume so..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
They are hinting at it i feel. The same 0.5 seconds was also touted by renault for their engine upgrade in monaco but it is still unconfirmed if the upgrade was TJI; though most assume so..
TJI is certainly one way to do it, we don't know for certain what the others are exactly doing, it's all more or less the same effect they're trying to create however. A faster more complete burn, I'm sure they're straddling the line between deflagration and detonation.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
GoranF1 wrote: In the article it says focus will now be on termal efficienty, does that mean TJI?
TJI is certainly one way to do it, we don't know for certain what the others are exactly doing, it's all more or less the same effect they're trying to create however. A faster more complete burn, I'm sure they're straddling the line between deflagration and detonation.
I always found it strange that they released a PU upgrade on a low power track. They probably didn't introduce everything there or it was detuned or something.

godlameroso

Silverstone needs good aero but it needs good power as well. The DRS straight, after Luffield, and Hangar straight, plus coming out of club all need good power. Particularly in the 120-290km/h range, even with a better exit out of those corners you will gain more down the straights. The parts where you really need aero is turns 1 & 2, copse, the esses, and stowe, coming out of veil club and luffield requires good mechanical grip, or more efficient aero, since you're fighting for grip more power through those turns may not help, but will immediately after.
Saishū kōnā

Logie
Logie

Honda to hold fire on next F1 engine update for McLaren

"We still keep trying our efforts to improving our engine, the ICE area," he told Autosport.

"We have seen some good numbers, we just need to prepare.

"Not in a couple of races but in four or five races we aim to introduce it."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ine-update

PABLOEING
PABLOEING

¿Belgian GP for the big upgrade in Honda?

godlameroso

Spa is 3 races from now, then Monza, then it's Singapore then Sepang a week later. Looks like they want to be ready for Suzuka, get at least a race under their belt with the new upgrades. If they introduce it it'll likely be for Monza, best way to test engine upgrades is at a power track anyway.
Saishū kōnā

mclaren111

Good pictures of the changes they made.

trinidefender
trinidefender

In the first picture above, what are those carbon fibre pipes coming out the side of the plenum? They can't be part of the trumpets can they? Seems like the wrong spot....

ctdrftna
ctdrftna

Absolutely looks like intake runners.

loner

does the JTI has a factor in qualy ?
alonso time is better than mercedes qualy time 2015 in silverstone by half a second and that without JTI while mercedes used it in 2015
para bellum.

godlameroso

Probably down to tires. Honda is definitely improving, lets see if they can squeeze out some more performance from the power unit this weekend.
Saishū kōnā