2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 21:45
Strange reply from RIC. Almost saying/implying it’s up to the team to build a car based on his strengths. Rather than really knuckling down and learning/perfecting a different way to drive the current car he’s got.

I love the guy but to me he has the hallmarks of someone purely relying on his talent and not willing to turn every leaf and stone. Maybe that rumour from the Renault engineers is right…
Mind sharing the rumour? Either I wasn't privy to it or missed it entirely?

Mclarensenna

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 21:45
Strange reply from RIC. Almost saying/implying it’s up to the team to build a car based on his strengths. Rather than really knuckling down and learning/perfecting a different way to drive the current car he’s got.

I love the guy but to me he has the hallmarks of someone purely relying on his talent and not willing to turn every leaf and stone. Maybe that rumour from the Renault engineers is right…
What rumour from the Renault engineers?
Ric is constantly being asked questions in every interview about this?
My guess is he wants to say the car drives like a piece of crap but knowing Ric he wants to be positive and not trash the team or complain and be negative.

It is not so easy to completely change driving styles and adapt to a car.

Also the team needs to build a car that not just plays to Rics strengths but to everybodys strengths.
The Torro Rosso Ric always went backwards every race basically. He struggled.
Once in the Redbull in the 2009, 2010, 2013 tests he was smashing lap records and instantly comfortable.
Not to mention 2014 he smashed Vettel.
Ric adapted to 4 different redbulls instantly whereas never fully adapted in 2 years driving the torro Rosso to the same degree. Ric always went backwards in the Torro rosso whereas in Redbull always forward.

Why? because the Redbull back then drove perfect. Even Algashuari, Vergne everybody who drove it instantly was on it smashing lap records where they always struggled in Torro Rosso's as they were poor cars.

Look at Russell 2 years and always going backwards in the Williams on sundays and im sure he hates everything about the Williams but also tries to stay positive.
He jumps into the Merc without fitting in it and instantly in 1 lap he going forward driving like Schumacher or Ham overtaking Bottas twice. Russell looked like a racing God in 1 lap.
Russell could not stop praising the 2020 Merc saying it was perfect in every single way. It does whatever i want the car to do, fully comfortable.

Of course he would go back to the Williams and want the car built to the exact same specification of the Merc and im sure he requested those exact changes.

The same way Ric would have always requested the Torro Rosso , Mclaren and Renault have the same changes.

It makes perfect sense for Ric to demand the car be changed to be exactly like the Redbull was and Russell demand changes for the car to be exactly like the Merc.

Lando will also benefit from these changes. Ric also has stated many times him and Max want the same things from the car so if Max was driving the Mclaren or Renault her would also request basically the same changes,. So Ric does not want some strange setup. We have always heard of Schumachers and Alonsos team mates complaining they want a strange hard to drive setup. we never heard this from any of Rics team mates as yes even Hulk stated he wants the same changes to the Renault so we can be sure the changes Ric is requesting will benefit both drivers and not just Ric. Ric just wants a fast car for both drivers.

Ric just wants a perfect handling car like the redbull and with that he can fight for the championship. So can Lando.
Rusell also wants a perfect handling car like the Merc and not the Williams crap he driving now.
If he did Rusell could fight for the championship. Latifi would pick up some podiums sure and love the car
But again you cant say Russell wanting the Williams to behave like the 2020 Merc a weakness or something that will only benefit him and not Latifi.
Latifi would benefit in this case and so would Norris.

All drivers after tasting a perfect race car like Russell and Ric have will request those changes and the entire team will always benefit from this if implemented.
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

djos

Good points, the simple fact is Daniel knows what makes a fast car as he's driven them. Take Monaco, he knows what makes a fast Pole sitting & Winning car around those mean streets - The MCL35M lacked the stability under braking and mechanical grip to allow him to put the car on pole.
"In downforce we trust"

sp8472
sp8472

Totally spot on. Lando has only ever known the Mclaren. He has adapted to drive it brilliantly. But I suspect put him in the Merc or Red Bull and he would feel very differently about how good the car is. It’s hard to know what a great car is until you drive one. I thought my Datsun 200B was awesome. Experience has now taught me otherwise.

Daniels experience driving and developing fast cars would be part of the reason he was seen as so valuable by McLaren. Look what he was able to do with the development of the Renault in two seasons. Let’s hope he can do the same with Mclaren. We seem to have a good fast car that is hidden under there. Let’s hope with his experience Daniel can help unearth it for the benefit of all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djos

Exactly, once Renault took Daniels recommendations on board, he bagged 2 podiums and a big haul of points in 2020.

Even in 2019 he bagged a ton of good points for Renault in the second half of the season.
"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

Team should surely attempt to get through on the Mediums in Q2, atleast on Lando's car, I'm sure there was certainly a pace advantage in that Ferrari, but that medium to hard certainly gave them quite a bit of extra pace

Mclarensenna

sp8472 wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 04:38
Totally spot on. Lando has only ever known the Mclaren. He has adapted to drive it brilliantly. But I suspect put him in the Merc or Red Bull and he would feel very differently about how good the car is. It’s hard to know what a great car is until you drive one. I thought my Datsun 200B was awesome. Experience has now taught me otherwise.

Daniels experience driving and developing fast cars would be part of the reason he was seen as so valuable by McLaren. Look what he was able to do with the development of the Renault in two seasons. Let’s hope he can do the same with Mclaren. We seem to have a good fast car that is hidden under there. Let’s hope with his experience Daniel can help unearth it for the benefit of all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said, and great analogy about your Datsun 200B hahahaha

Mclarensenna

djos wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 04:56
Exactly, once Renault took Daniels recommendations on board, he bagged 2 podiums and a big haul of points in 2020.

Even in 2019 he bagged a ton of good points for Renault in the second half of the season.
Exactly, people underestimate the effect Rics feedback had on the 2020 Renault.
The 2019 Renault Ric never drove or gave feedback prior and it was a piece of crap on a knife edge under braking and many other short comings. We saw Ric struggle and make so many stupid mistakes that year that we never saw in prior years.

The 2020 Renault designed and built with Rics feedback/input was a massive improvement with most of those short comings addressed/improved. Ric bagged 2 podiums, seemed very comfortable, no stupid mistakes, and even Ocon got his 1st podium. Something Ocon never managed even with the Racing point which itself was a decent car.

the EDGE
the EDGE

For someone having a bad year let’s not forget that Daniel is still in the top 10, with more points than both Alpine drivers combined

In less than 6 months the current generation of cars will be consigned to history for ever

What comes next will be different in every way possible, from tyres, wheels, suspension & brakes to aero, balance & weight

Until testing the cars will be a complete unknown to every team & driver on the grid & that in its self has the potential to shake-up the grid, who knows where it will end up leaving either Daniel or Lando, let alone the rest of the Grid, in respects to their ability to get the best from the package

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Good counter points and examples lads. Keep the faith!

trinidefender
trinidefender

So I went looking for the stated rumours and found this identifying the differences between Sainz and Ricciardo;
https://www.world-today-news.com/race-e ... and-sainz/

“(Sainz) was very involved in the adjustment and all mapping what we work with – the electronic side of the car is often used to adjust the balance – and tried to understand everything down to the last detail. So he was quickly on track when he joined us in America in 2017 and immediately finished seventh. Nobody expected that."

“For Daniel it is a bit more explaining: ‘we expect this change to do this’, but he is always confident in what we do. It is a bit less ‘technical’ with him, but you prepare yourself for that. At the beginning of 2019 it was therefore a bit more difficult with him, it took some adjustment. However, I also think it is more difficult to switch from a good car to a lesser one, like Daniel, while it was the other way around for Carlos. ”

“We immediately noticed with Daniel that he is less technical than Carlos, but he has a very good one feel for the car. Better than Carlos had with us in the beginning, I think. ”

djos

trinidefender wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 11:06
However, I also think it is more difficult to switch from a good car to a lesser one, like Daniel, while it was the other way around for Carlos. ”

“We immediately noticed with Daniel that he is less technical than Carlos, but he has a very good one feel for the car. Better than Carlos had with us in the beginning, I think. ”
Driver feel is basically natural talent, it doesn't matter how technical you are, talent can't be taught.
"In downforce we trust"

mclaren111

mclaren111

djos wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 23:47
I call BS on that. The car has a stability under braking issue that Lando is able to workaround. If the team want the car to get faster, they need to fix that issue and at the same time this will help Dan.

Such a pity... Last year they were up there with the best in this area... Assume it's the PU change ??

the EDGE
the EDGE

mclaren111 wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 13:03
djos wrote:
01 Jul 2021, 23:47
I call BS on that. The car has a stability under braking issue that Lando is able to workaround. If the team want the car to get faster, they need to fix that issue and at the same time this will help Dan.

Such a pity... Last year they were up there with the best in this area... Assume it's the PU change ??
Unlikely, IF true it would be more likely from the loss of rear downforce from the floor & brake duct rule changes