2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bill
Bill

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Dunlay wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 06:13
Bill wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 22:04
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 19:35
Toto fears Kimi's star could dim if he doesn't keep up with Russell.

ttps://twitter.com/sportzfirst1/status/1819786834698031498?t=wzw2uWjZjaUBVkRkes-SPg&s=19
Russell is a good driver in a good car but lets not forget he didn't score a single point in a williams before joining mercedes.compare to lewis he still have problems with tire saving .spa was the exception.kimi is six in f2 if he is the next big thing he need to go for champion
Wrong facts. George scored points in Williams.
it took him three seasons thats why its easy to forget

Dunlay
Dunlay

Bill wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 09:30
Dunlay wrote:
Bill wrote:

Russell is a good driver in a good car but lets not forget he didn't score a single point in a williams before joining mercedes.compare to lewis he still have problems with tire saving .spa was the exception.kimi is six in f2 if he is the next big thing he need to go for champion
Ignoring basic facts to run down a driver that one doesn't like is normal.

Jurgen von Diaz

j_ste wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 21:47
Lol. Is he good enough for F1 or not?

The way some young F1 drivers are cherry picked and protected like boxers with undefeated records is BS imo.

Max was allowed to crash all over the place for years before he ever came good in a way no other Red Bull junior had the opportunity to.
Because elite talents get leash. Max showed an elite talent from day one. Everyone on the grid knew he was before he had even stepped foot in F1.

Kimi will struggle initially in F1. It’s a heavy workload but that’s the gift and curse. But Toto has invested a lot in him and will take care of his talent

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 12:16
Next season, a car like this would put George in championship contender number one. He really is an underrated driver on the grid, because he has a habit of crashing when the pressure kicks in. However, in Spa, he didn't crack at all, although he had really old tires and Lewis on his gearbox.Without the DSQ and DNF at Silverstone, he would have all the stats on him against Lewis. It reminds me of Alonso and Ocon in 2022 when Alonso had constant problems with his car, and Ocon "achieved" his victory over him.
George hasn’t had constant car problems. His main issue this year, in terms of points. Was a car that was illegal and got DSQ.
A DSQ that may have been in some way, self inflicted.
DSQ self-inflicted? George's job is to drive the car, not calculate the car's weight in the cockpit.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Bill wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
Bill wrote:

In the slowest car on the grid for most of those years. But don't let facts get in the way of your bias.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

j_ste
j_ste

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 11:45
j_ste wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 21:47
Lol. Is he good enough for F1 or not?

The way some young F1 drivers are cherry picked and protected like boxers with undefeated records is BS imo.

Max was allowed to crash all over the place for years before he ever came good in a way no other Red Bull junior had the opportunity to.
Because elite talents get leash. Max showed an elite talent from day one. Everyone on the grid knew he was before he had even stepped foot in F1.

Kimi will struggle initially in F1. It’s a heavy workload but that’s the gift and curse. But Toto has invested a lot in him and will take care of his talent

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 12:16
Next season, a car like this would put George in championship contender number one. He really is an underrated driver on the grid, because he has a habit of crashing when the pressure kicks in. However, in Spa, he didn't crack at all, although he had really old tires and Lewis on his gearbox.Without the DSQ and DNF at Silverstone, he would have all the stats on him against Lewis. It reminds me of Alonso and Ocon in 2022 when Alonso had constant problems with his car, and Ocon "achieved" his victory over him.
George hasn’t had constant car problems. His main issue this year, in terms of points. Was a car that was illegal and got DSQ.
DSQ self-inflicted? George's job is to drive the car, not calculate the car's weight in the cockpit.
If he stayed on the two stop…no DQ. If we are to believe the tyre wear theory. Eyes too big for his belly :wink:
What was it that some said about Lewis when he was messing with set ups? Just drive the car you’re given, the team know more than you.

Live and learn, I guess

langedweil

Sevach wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 06:17
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

F1 is put up or shut up, Alonso could've snuffed Hamilton's top flight career if he didn't start "swimming" right away.
Not quite this good, but Piastri needed to at least show promise vs Lando to keep his rep.

Kimi will need to do something along these lines.
You could've had Sainz if you wanted to bring Kimi in slowly Toto, now you have no choices left.
I would not be surprised if a Verstappen deal has already been made ...
Last edited by langedweil on 05 Aug 2024, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
HuggaWugga !

Bill
Bill

PapayaFan481 wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 16:32
Bill wrote:
Dunlay wrote:
In the slowest car on the grid for most of those years. But don't let facts get in the way of your bias.
yuki and albon had the slowest car at one point in there career and did something with it.the point i am raising is that its easy to look like a hero in a quick car.russell is good on one lap though.

Jurgen von Diaz

j_ste wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
j_ste wrote: Because elite talents get leash. Max showed an elite talent from day one. Everyone on the grid knew he was before he had even stepped foot in F1.

If he stayed on the two stop…no DQ. If we are to believe the tyre wear theory. Eyes too big for his belly :wink:
What was it that some said about Lewis when he was messing with set ups? Just drive the car you’re given, the team know more than you.

Live and learn, I guess
How strange parable. When Lewis was messing with setups, you know you are going to take a risk in performance, as did George with the tires. The tires did indeed last to the end successfully, but it's the team's job to manage the risks associated with the car's weight. They should have stated that a one-stopper couldn't be done because of the weight, but who would have thought that when the rest of the one-stoppers did meet the weight requirement.

Last edited by Jurgen von Diaz on 05 Aug 2024, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Bill wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 19:25
PapayaFan481 wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 16:32
Bill wrote:

yuki and albon had the slowest car at one point in there career and did something with it.the point i am raising is that its easy to look like a hero in a quick car.russell is good on one lap though.
Neither Yuki, nor Albon ever had a slower car than a Williams.
Albon in 2019 had 5 points scoring finishes before he was moved to Red Bull. In the same duration, Kvyat had 6 points scoring finishes with one podium. You don't do that with back marker cars! In the same year, on average, the Williams was around 2 seconds slower than Toro Rosso in qualifying.

I can go on to burst those baseless claims. But the sample stats are enough. Some basic research before posting on the topic would add some value.
Last edited by Dunlay on 06 Aug 2024, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.

les arcs
les arcs

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 20:12
j_ste wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

Live and learn, I guess
How strange a parable. When Lewis was messing with setups, you know you are going to take a risk in performance, as did George with the tires. The tires did indeed last to the end successfully, but it's the team's job to manage the risks associated with the car's weight. They should have stated that a one-stopper couldn't be done because of the weight, but who would have thought that when the rest of the one-stoppers did meet the weight requirement.
How strange a parable? The rest of the one stoppers weren’t in a Mercedes, perhaps they can’t get to the minimum weight….

Jurgen von Diaz

les arcs wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
j_ste wrote: If he stayed on the two stop…no DQ. If we are to believe the tyre wear theory. Eyes too big for his belly :wink:

Live and learn, I guess
How strange a parable. When Lewis was messing with setups, you know you are going to take a risk in performance, as did George with the tires. The tires did indeed last to the end successfully, but it's the team's job to manage the risks associated with the car's weight. They should have stated that a one-stopper couldn't be done because of the weight, but who would have thought that when the rest of the one-stoppers did meet the weight requirement.
How strange a parable? The rest of the one stoppers weren’t in a Mercedes, perhaps they can’t get to the minimum weight….
If I recall correctly, they weighed the top10 and one stopper Alonso passed the weigh-in.

les arcs
les arcs

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 21:05
les arcs wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

If I recall correctly, they weighed the top10 and one stopper Alonso passed the weigh-in.
It’s not complicated, Alonso was in an Aston Martin, not a Mercedes, perhaps Aston aren’t on the minimum weight limit?

Mosin123
Mosin123

les arcs wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 21:37
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
les arcs wrote:
It’s not complicated, Alonso was in an Aston Martin, not a Mercedes, perhaps Aston aren’t on the minimum weight limit?
They are right on min weight...... https://www.astonmartinf1.com/en-GB/AMR24

Jurgen von Diaz

les arcs wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
les arcs wrote: How strange a parable? The rest of the one stoppers weren’t in a Mercedes, perhaps they can’t get to the minimum weight….
That is correct; Aston Martin was above the minimum weight limit. Aston Martin did a better job than Mercedes in managing the car's weight.

Chuckjr

langedweil wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 17:54
Sevach wrote:
05 Aug 2024, 06:17
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:

F1 is put up or shut up, Alonso could've snuffed Hamilton's top flight career if he didn't start "swimming" right away.
Not quite this good, but Piastri needed to at least show promise vs Lando to keep his rep.

Kimi will need to do something along these lines.
You could've had Sainz if you wanted to bring Kimi in slowly Toto, now you have no choices left.
I would not be surprised if a Verstappen deal has already been made ...
Quite possible.
Imo it would be unwise to put Kimi in the Merc next year. Competition will likely be incredibly tough and the series doesn’t need the mistakes rookies make to mess up the championships with DNF’s from his learning curve. Let him learn in a slower team further back. If he’s special, he will be special anywhere he goes, and it would only up his marketability/contract. If he takes a couple years crashing or just getting to speed, it won’t put his F1 career in jeopardy. I’m not doubting him, I’m saying it doesn’t hurt to ease him in and is likely the wiser path.
Watching F1 since 1986.