2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

MTudor wrote:
17 May 2024, 19:55
We are for a really good weekend because we never looked good on a friday,we usually come alive in FP3,so I'm optimistic for a back to back wins 👀👀👀
Yeah I think so to, but keep your optimism alongside a healthy dose of wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Plenty of times we've all seen it get turned on it's head from a Friday to a Saturday. Conditions change, wrong setup, wind in a different direction, others suddenly finding their time through setup, teams using atypical fuel loads or engine modes...

It could be a big dose of thread wide confirmation bias.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

mwillems wrote:
17 May 2024, 19:08
Tomsky wrote:
17 May 2024, 19:07
mwillems wrote:
17 May 2024, 19:04

Yes. Leclerc beat it by .06 of a second on his next quick lap and Lando was over 7 tenths up so I rounded it.
Leclerc then improved not by 0.06, but by almost 0.7.
I looked at the telemetry, I'm forgetting. Lando was 7 tenths faster than Leclercs fastest lap on softs at the time he went to the gravel. I did check before I posted, but then forgot that I checked.

https://i.ibb.co/q7F8B3r/Landov-Lec-Softs.png
While this is accurate ( i was looking at telemetry as well) keep in mind that the comparison was against LEC's MED lap and LEC himself improved his time by 7-tenths on his soft run right after. so it would have been close between NOR and LEC if NOR had completed his lap

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
17 May 2024, 20:03
mwillems wrote:
Tomsky wrote:
17 May 2024, 19:07

Leclerc then improved not by 0.06, but by almost 0.7.
I looked at the telemetry, I'm forgetting. Lando was 7 tenths faster than Leclercs fastest lap on softs at the time he went to the gravel. I did check before I posted, but then forgot that I checked.

While this is accurate ( i was looking at telemetry as well) keep in mind that the comparison was against LEC's MED lap and LEC himself improved his time by 7-tenths on his soft run right after. so it would have been close between NOR and LEC if NOR had completed his lap
No it is against Leclercs Soft lap... :D I did a direct comparison between Lando's lap before he aborted and the soft lap Leclerc completed moments later. The telemetry I posted for both drivers was from Lap 9. I just totally forgot that when Tomsky was talking about the gap. But it is understandable because we were 5 tenths up after S2 on the medium time. This is why I say that he did not need to go faster in Sector 3, he needed to ease off a little.

It was a mighty lap.
Last edited by mwillems on 17 May 2024, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

mwillems wrote:
17 May 2024, 19:35
Dunlay wrote:
17 May 2024, 19:27
Newey is heading to McLaren. Eddie Jordan slip of tongue!!!
He could always have just misspoke genuinely.
Jordan is Newey's manager, he's either genuinely let something slip or is trying to put the frighteners on Ferrari.
I was thinking that if we could sign him then we would. But £20m is a lot of money to find. But then he knows everything about how to make the car a title winner.
If say McLaren wants to get serious about winning Lemans then they'd hire Newey to work on a car for that, alongside F1. Allowing McLaren to split how they pay him, the FIA can't really complain if Newey produces a winning Lemans car for McLaren and a winning F1 car.

I think however Newey is probably Ferrari bound. But a return to McLaren wouldn't be too surprising, given Zak Brown's powers of persuasion.

_cerber1

mwillems

taperoo2k wrote:
17 May 2024, 20:12
mwillems wrote:
17 May 2024, 19:35
Dunlay wrote:
17 May 2024, 19:27
Newey is heading to McLaren. Eddie Jordan slip of tongue!!!
He could always have just misspoke genuinely.
Jordan is Newey's manager, he's either genuinely let something slip or is trying to put the frighteners on Ferrari.
I was thinking that if we could sign him then we would. But £20m is a lot of money to find. But then he knows everything about how to make the car a title winner.
If say McLaren wants to get serious about winning Lemans then they'd hire Newey to work on a car for that, alongside F1. Allowing McLaren to split how they pay him, the FIA can't really complain if Newey produces a winning Lemans car for McLaren and a winning F1 car.

I think however Newey is probably Ferrari bound. But a return to McLaren wouldn't be too surprising, given Zak Brown's powers of persuasion.
As I said from the start. Never say never. Mclaren is on the rise, income is up, we have drivers for the future and a great set of folks at base and we're the type of level headed team that avoids the drama if they can and we have Road Cars, F1, Lemans and other series to entertain him, and to top it off he is good friends with Zak. It's actually the kind of template that is made for Newey.

But time will tell what happens, who knows.

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

It was a joke.

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
17 May 2024, 20:17
It was a joke.
I have to say he seemed flustered briefly after he said that. It may be a mistake but I don't think he was joking.

-Bandit

Tomsky
Tomsky

Macklaren
Macklaren

Tomsky wrote:
17 May 2024, 20:17
It was a joke.
Is he talking about bicycles? Is that a joke related to the new bicycle range that McLaren announced yesterday? Anyone have a longer clip?

dialtone
dialtone

mwillems wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
17 May 2024, 20:03
mwillems wrote:

No it is against Leclercs Soft lap... :D I did a direct comparison between Lando's lap before he aborted and the soft lap Leclerc completed moments later. The telemetry I posted for both drivers was from Lap 9. I just totally forgot that when Tomsky was talking about the gap. But it is understandable because we were 5 tenths up after S2 on the medium time. This is why I say that he did not need to go faster in Sector 3, he needed to ease off a little.

It was a mighty lap.
Something is off in the telemetry I think.

Lando was 0.032 faster in S1, 0.133s faster in s2 taken right before t14. Then is t14-15 and rivazza.

So that’s 0.165 faster than lec up to t14, and by telemetry doesn’t lose much in gresini. Then it’s suddenly 0.7s off. Seems more of a timing artifact with the fact that he probably went in too hot and caused the little out.

He was faster though.

search

mwillems wrote:
17 May 2024, 20:05

https://i.ibb.co/RH3GQHF/Lap9-Softs.png

It was a mighty lap.
Not sure why, but the delta doesn't always seem to show up accurately, especially on aborted laps. It was a very good lap for sure, but I would think it's impossible that Norris gained 4 tenths under breaking in the penultimate corner, for example.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Newey and Zak are mates. Get hom involved in all things Mclaren and he may fancy it, over the ferrari fishbowl.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

For anyone watching it was obvious McLaren had serious pace. Norris looked great whenever he was out. He made his mistake on his fast lap and pitted, but they did that already earlier today when Norris was quick and dived into the pits.

I know it is only Friday but the car looks fast today and McLaren is usually team that looks better on Saturday/Sunday.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Quite surprising to see Eddie Jordan statement - I wouldn't be surprised if he faked the "slipup".

But who knows - maybe McLaren released Sanchez because they knew a bigger fish is coming? I doubt it, but it would be fun to see Newey support the team.