Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Tea

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

ESPImperium wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 22:59
Ive just thought of a theory, based partly on two things, my visual sightings at Monza in 2013 and 2015 when the DRS saw the Marussia in 2013, the Lotus in 2015 when the DRS was failed (The default position for DRS is in fact the fail position) the car noticeably moved downward on the rear.

Now with this, I am coming to an idea, an idea that is probably an area of grey in the regulations, and with the banning of the FRIC system i am thinking this may be coming back. Say, for talking sakes Ferrari still have a hydraulic front and rear suspension that are not connected in any way as per the regulations, but for talking sakes the DRS Actuation System, that is hydraulic right? If the Activation System is connected to the rear suspension, like the FRIC system used to be, less the F but a ASRIC say? A system that jacks the rear up once the Activation System is failed, the hydraulics then do the suspension a help, jack it up what looks to be 20-30mm, maybe its half than that, but it slams the front wing closer to the floor giving better ground effect, and also increases the volume at the diffuser at the rear, thus more rear downforce?

It may be my brain running wild, but could Ferrari have found a loophole to give the car a cornering advantage, especially when transitioning with DRS?
Is there any possible way the 'moving flap' of the DRS can, by changing its angle, or by redirecting the airstream, actually produce lift, to drop the front?

I know, it sounds far fetched, but as we are chewing it...
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon
roon

Influencing ride height directly with DRS hydraulics would contravene the active suspension bans.

matteosc
matteosc

ESPImperium wrote:
Ive just thought of a theory, based partly on two things, my visual sightings at Monza in 2013 and 2015 when the DRS saw the Marussia in 2013, the Lotus in 2015 when the DRS was failed (The default position for DRS is in fact the fail position) the car noticeably moved downward on the rear.

Now with this, I am coming to an idea, an idea that is probably an area of grey in the regulations, and with the banning of the FRIC system i am thinking this may be coming back. Say, for talking sakes Ferrari still have a hydraulic front and rear suspension that are not connected in any way as per the regulations, but for talking sakes the DRS Actuation System, that is hydraulic right? If the Activation System is connected to the rear suspension, like the FRIC system used to be, less the F but a ASRIC say? A system that jacks the rear up once the Activation System is failed, the hydraulics then do the suspension a help, jack it up what looks to be 20-30mm, maybe its half than that, but it slams the front wing closer to the floor giving better ground effect, and also increases the volume at the diffuser at the rear, thus more rear downforce?

It may be my brain running wild, but could Ferrari have found a loophole to give the car a cornering advantage, especially when transitioning with DRS?
The rules that state that suspension can only react to load on their axis would make this illegal (if I understood what you said).

Sevach
Sevach

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 12:28
In this clip nothing particularly interesting happens. Something that can be turned on and off? :?
https://media.giphy.com/media/YBILZlnFh ... /giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/45ddjFIej ... /giphy.gif
If it's the rear suspension all they need to do is give it a stiffer heave element.

henry

Big Tea wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 00:26
ESPImperium wrote:

Is there any possible way the 'moving flap' of the DRS can, by changing its angle, or by redirecting the airstream, actually produce lift, to drop the front?

I know, it sounds far fetched, but as we are chewing it...
What you are suggesting would reduce the load on the rear axle and as a result the rear ride height would increase. The front suspension ride height would be affected by the increase in rake caused by this and, by bringing the front wing closer to the ground at a slightly increased angle of attack might increase the front axle load and reduce ride height at the front.

I can’t see that this contravenes anything since this effect happens every time the DRS is opened.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

wuzak
wuzak

dankane24 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 00:12
ESPImperium wrote:

Doesn't Ferrari have an elaborate Drs actuator this year? Just thought I throw fuel on the fire!
I think this elaborate system is just about stabilising the flap to prevent issues like Renault's rear wing flap flying off the other day.

.poz
.poz

ESPImperium wrote:
If the Activation System is connected to the rear suspension, like the FRIC system used to be, less the F but a ASRIC say? A system that jacks the rear up once the Activation System is failed, the hydraulics then do the suspension a help, jack it up what looks to be 20-30mm, maybe its half than that, but it slams the front wing closer to the floor giving better ground effect, and also increases the volume at the diffuser at the rear, thus more rear downforce?
Totally against the rules, suspensions settings can't be changed during race time; DRS is activated by the driver so if in some way DRS activating change something in suspensions settings it would an direct action of the driver on suspensions settings.

if the objective is just to make the rear of the car go down while on straight you have to build a system that makes the rear suspension softer while the load is the same on left and right.

Something like this (?)

Blackout

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

Not sure how true this is but apparently Ferrari are having some issues with the paint they are using for the car. Dirt from the track is getting stuck to the car which wasn't an issue previously with the gloss paint which will be adding weight to the car and I imagine could effect the aero if there is enough of a build up.

The mechanics are also having a hard time cleaning the car, which could be an issue on race weekends between the track sessions.

Source: f1fanspageofficial (instagram)

Anyone heard anything about this from a more official source?

Unf

Clever way to be sure that car will be not too low on weight after the race :D

PhillipM
PhillipM

I think that would probably be just something someone made up assuming the matt paint won't be slippery like gloss - all the F1 teams use high-contact-angle surface coatings on the paint to reduce rubber/marble adhesion and for ease of cleaning, it won't be an issue, matte surface or not.

matteosc
matteosc

.poz wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 14:11
Totally against the rules, suspensions settings can't be changed during race time; DRS is activated by the driver so if in some way DRS activating change something in suspensions settings it would an direct action of the driver on suspensions settings.

if the objective is just to make the rear of the car go down while on straight you have to build a system that makes the rear suspension softer while the load is the same on left and right.

Something like this (?)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ch7htzhwahb29ae/susp.jpg?dl=1
Is that not the definition of a simple anti roll bar (whatever is the implementation)?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Yes, you'd just soften the heave spring :lol:

Kalsi
Kalsi

Seb Full lap (no onboard)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80RZvTKVxq0

No noticeable "squatting" so far in this footage

Mr.G

Kalsi wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 02:02
Seb Full lap (no onboard)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80RZvTKVxq0

No noticeable "squatting" so far in this footage
I think I saw it 3 times...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts