[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

jjn9128 wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:49
CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:41
Thanks, I'll give it a go, see if my computer can handle it.
8gb of RAM and 2 free cores should be enough (I leave 2 more free cores to improve stability and services/backup because I use Windows), but 4 free cores and 16gb would be perfect.

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 13:23
LVDH wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 12:24
Congratulations to CAEdevice, he took victory and is once more leading the championship. This might get boring you guys have to keep up.
Thanks!

Why boring? You forgot that about a year passed from my latest victory and that last year both Variante and JJR were much stronger then me and they both beat CAEdevice in the final classification.

Variante car is impressive considering how complicated it is and that is has been designed from scratch in a few weeks. On the contrary I am a bit disappointed by WWInc and GGB ;)
I actually totally forgot that Variante won last year... #-o
This morning I was a bit distracted, the numbers on the page should be correct now.

CAEdevice

I know most of you are too young to appreciate this, but here is my livery for the race in Japan (where it all started almost 40 years ago).

variante

CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:08
What I am not mastering yet (like Variante can do on the contrary) are vortices.
Maybe last year... This year, instead, everything is a bit randomic for me: if there are vortices, they aren't really wanted. My car is still very simple despite how it might appear. I've made good airfoils, given good flow to the radiators and limited upwash, but everything is a bit disharmonic, and the rear end is still far from a winning performance.

Yes, i think everyone should focus on securing a solid cooling performance first. That's easy laptime gain.

LVDH wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 15:21
All those sleepless nights for nothing... :lol:

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 15:47
LVDH wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 15:21
All those sleepless nights for nothing... :lol:
"Everything is written in the Blockchain, protected by an energy shield called proof of work" Satoshi, the wise, said once.

machin

Ft5fTL wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 18:49
What was the reason of the penalty?

edit: nvm i saw it. I design the hx like last season. What is wrong with the design?
Hi... Compare the direction of the extrusion of your heat exchanger (pure-x-axis) to the one shown below from my car ('normal' /90 degrees, from the front face) :-

(Also note that the rear part of the gearbox part should not be covered with bodywork...)
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Ft5fTL

Okay i will pm you about this as soon as i got a new design. No need to flood here with hx posts.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

Ashwinv16

I might have gone overboard with my floor design (The 2020 f1 regulations don't allow the floor to have strakes like this). Any feedback will be helpful, trying to join as a proper entry team before the Japanese GP but highly unlikely. I am slightly confused on the requirements for the high res files, can i just save the entire floor, instead of individual strakes same fore the barge boards. (Excluding the given floor).

Last edited by Ashwinv16 on 24 Sep 2019, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
Halo not as bad as we thought

jjn9128

Ashwinv16 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 11:16
I might have gone overboard with my floor design (The 2020 f1 regulations don't allow the floor to have strakes like this). Any feedback will be helpful, trying to join as a proper entry team before the Japanese GP but highly unlikely. I am slightly confused on the requirements for the high res files, can i just save the entire floor, instead of individual strakes same fore the barge boards. (Excluding the given floor).

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/ZN1L3 ... 20-h902-rw
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/f1yqB ... 20-h902-rw
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/D9l_F ... 20-h902-rw
Images haven't loaded
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Ashwinv16

jjn9128 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 11:53
Ashwinv16 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 11:16

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/ZN1L3 ... 20-h902-rw
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/f1yqB ... 20-h902-rw
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/D9l_F ... 20-h902-rw
Images haven't loaded
Sorry fixed it

Halo not as bad as we thought

machin

Ashwinv16 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 12:25
..... can i just save the entire floor, instead of individual strakes same fore the barge boards. (Excluding the given floor).
I think not... Andre (LVDH) will have to confirm, but I think that if you put the whole floor into the Hi Res folder it will probably really increase the CPU loading... From the first two rounds it seems that most of us are struggling to produce a basic car with 100% power... so even though I think your floor detail looks really cool it might be a little too detailed for your first entry...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

jjn9128

Ashwinv16 wrote:

Looks pretty good to me. Whether it works is the key thing though.

AFAIK the whole floor cannot be in the high res surfaces directory. I think the result on the mesh scale would make running the cases for the race too arduous. Personally I export a single STL of all the diffuser strakes so you've not got 8 individual files. Again this is me but I split the car into top body/ floor/ front wing/ rear wing/ diffuser strakes/ bargeboards/ upper bodywork vanes. So my high resolution surfaces would be the last 5 files.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:42
From the first two rounds it seems that most of us are struggling to produce a basic car with 100% power... so even though I think your floor detail looks really cool it might be a little too detailed for your first entry...
=D>

I agree... take a look to OKRacing simple (and winning) car

CAEdevice

Hi, I have a question for the next race.

If I could not submit a car (I don't have free time these days), could I chose one of the previous submitted cars (specifically CAEdevice_Race02Submission02, that had no warings nor penalties) even if the brageborads are not separated from the car body in order to put them in the "High Resolution" folder?

My impression is that, with the present wording, the rules say that to put into the HR folder the bargeborards is mandatory.

LVDH

machin wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:42
Ashwinv16 wrote:
..... can i just save the entire floor, instead of individual strakes same fore the barge boards. (Excluding the given floor).
I think not... Andre (LVDH) will have to confirm, but I think that if you put the whole floor into the Hi Res folder it will probably really increase the CPU loading... From the first two rounds it seems that most of us are struggling to produce a basic car with 100% power... so even though I think your floor detail looks really cool it might be a little too detailed for your first entry...
Yes, separate the floor and strakes to separate closed parts. Only the strakes will be high_res. As the others pointed out, this keeps the CFD simulation times reasonable. It also makes it easier for you to play around with these parts. If you are not happy with the performance just move them around or try a different design. Designing a set of strakes and just switching the geometry around is much easier than having multiple floors just to test the strake design.

CAEdevice wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 15:08
Hi, I have a question for the next race.

If I could not submit a car (I don't have free time these days), could I chose one of the previous submitted cars (specifically CAEdevice_Race02Submission02, that had no warings nor penalties) even if the brageborads are not separated from the car body in order to put them in the "High Resolution" folder?

My impression is that, with the present wording, the rules say that to put into the HR folder the bargeborards is mandatory.
Sure, no problem. But I have a feeling I will see one or two submissions from you before the deadline.

In other news, Richard and I removed the "draft" from the rules 3.0. Nothing major changed to Sunday, they are just an additional bit clearer.
Also I repackaged the Linux Version of the latest MFlow version. So those running Linux and experiencing issues, should try it out.