2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
cooken
cooken

Re: 2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

Mezger wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 12:47

I just don't get them and their ideas.
Their ideas may be largely understood by reading the forum rules.

Will be very interesting to see what tires everyone starts on. Presumably medium is the default, but wonder if Hamilton might actually start on hard. Play it safe through T1/T2 and go long to get track position. Lots of unknowns regarding tyre drop-off though, so a soft start to try and move up asap and switch to 2 stop given all the new sets might be equally likely.

NathanOlder

Karun saying a fairly standard 1 stop today.

Also most drivers using the soft on the way to the grid. Hamilton was on mediums
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

search

looking forward to see how it unfolds at the start. Normally Russell should be in a great position to take the lead into turn 1, but often his starts don't tend to be particularly good

edit: the "dirty" side looks better than expected as well.
Last edited by search on 26 Sep 2021, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

Spacepace

Right side of the grid has almost deliberate amounts of rubber put down. Same as Spanish GP

Mogster

cooken wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 13:01
Mezger wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 12:47

I just don't get them and their ideas.
Their ideas may be largely understood by reading the forum rules.

Will be very interesting to see what tires everyone starts on. Presumably medium is the default, but wonder if Hamilton might actually start on hard. Play it safe through T1/T2 and go long to get track position. Lots of unknowns regarding tyre drop-off though, so a soft start to try and move up asap and switch to 2 stop given all the new sets might be equally likely.
Sky saying Hamilton was on mediums for the drive to the grid, most on softs.

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

If HAM started on softs and went for an undercut, he'd likely face VER on track. Smart to avoid that. Also going long is HAMs specialty, so good move, imo.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

El Scorchio wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 12:12
One of those things where if RBR do it, everyone is purring about a tactical master stroke and if Mercedes do it everyone whinges about it.

It’s smart thinking in a team game. Bottas can’t do anything to impact the race from where he qualified. He can starting in the bottom few cars. He also has more engine power now for the race when Hamilton starts from the back, which he will need to try and limit Verstappen’s points. It’s racing as a team for one driver’s benefit which is what red bull have done all season and for the last 3 at least. Nothing to see here at all.
I’d have a problem with it regardless of team

NathanOlder

Max running low downforce today according to Karun.

Merc running higher DF.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Michelangelo
Michelangelo

It will be great to see a wheel to wheel battle at the opening laps between future teammates Hamilton and Russell.

atanatizante

cooken wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 13:01

Presumably medium is the default, but wonder if Hamilton might actually start on hard. Play it safe through T1/T2 and go long to get track position. Lots of unknowns regarding tyre drop-off though, so a soft start to try and move up asap and switch to 2 stop given all the new sets might be equally likely.
I also think so ... something like he did at Monza ...
There are some other arguments in favour of this move:
- a longer first stint
- an SC phase
- flexibility regarding the second set of tyres
- a much more rubbered line than the right/faster one

Then it also gets some disadvantages:
- poor off the line
- track temperature is low hence a longer warm up phase
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

El Scorchio

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 13:47
El Scorchio wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 12:12
One of those things where if RBR do it, everyone is purring about a tactical master stroke and if Mercedes do it everyone whinges about it.

It’s smart thinking in a team game. Bottas can’t do anything to impact the race from where he qualified. He can starting in the bottom few cars. He also has more engine power now for the race when Hamilton starts from the back, which he will need to try and limit Verstappen’s points. It’s racing as a team for one driver’s benefit which is what red bull have done all season and for the last 3 at least. Nothing to see here at all.
I’d have a problem with it regardless of team
Which is fair. I’m the other way really. I don’t particularly have a problem with anyone doing it as long as it’s not against any rules. Everyone is trying to win.

Tim.Wright

Verstappen and Mazepin did not reach the 107% cutoff for qualifying classification. What's the deal here?
Not the engineer at Force India

Mogster

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 13:42
If HAM started on softs and went for an undercut, he'd likely face VER on track. Smart to avoid that. Also going long is HAMs specialty, so good move, imo.
I do wonder if the teams are actively trying to keep them apart as much as possible. Horner’s response to the Monza incident was interesting in that respect, he shouldn’t have been there or similar.

Gillian
Gillian

Tim.Wright wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 13:51
Verstappen and Mazepin did not reach the 107% cutoff for qualifying classification. What's the deal here?
That rule does not apply for a wet qualifying.

And then other then that dispensation is probable for the leader in the WDC...

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Mogster wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 13:52
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 13:42
I do wonder if the teams are actively trying to keep them apart as much as possible. Horner’s response to the Monza incident was interesting in that respect, he shouldn’t have been there or similar.
I'd think so. Makes sense to avoid the risk if there is an alternative. Especially if you're trailing on points.