2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
j_ste
j_ste

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

12th to 15th to 14th ( Albon DSQ ). Not the biggest of deal, I guess.

chrisc90

Well it’s 11th to 14th in reality. Still 3 places in terms of the penalty. But only 2 spots once you move Albon to the back of the grid

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 19:27
Hammerfist wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 19:11
So is Lewis going to be penalized for impeding checo?

Looked to me checo bailed out too early. He had room to take the corner and the fact he let off makes it seem it was impeding.
I think Checo is right. Hamilton looked like he didn't see him and that he will enter the racing line. You only need that to happen once and you have a massive crash.

Hamilton could have stopped outside the racing line or used throttle to go over it quickly before Perez appears.

But I don't think it will be a penalty.
It turned out to be a penalty.

But ham was not on the racing line on corner entry. You can clearly tell he was not going to take the apex and he knew checo was there. Why did checo back out is beyond me. Bad call by the stewards and checo showing how under pressure he really is imo.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Hammerfist wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 20:33
FittingMechanics wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 19:11
So is Lewis going to be penalized for impeding checo?

Looked to me checo bailed out too early. He had room to take the corner and the fact he let off makes it seem it was impeding.
I think Checo is right. Hamilton looked like he didn't see him and that he will enter the racing line. You only need that to happen once and you have a massive crash.

Hamilton could have stopped outside the racing line or used throttle to go over it quickly before Perez appears.

But ham was not on the racing line on corner entry. You can clearly tell he was not going to take the apex and he knew checo was there. Why did checo back out is beyond me. Bad call by the stewards and checo showing how under pressure he really is imo.
I disagree and it seems stewards do as well. If you look at it at speed it looks like Hamilton will enter the racing line (and he does).

Usually drivers slow down or even stop until the driver on the hot lap goes through.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Hammerfist wrote:

He was on the racing line. There is no discussion here.

Perez:

Verstappen:

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 20:47
Hammerfist wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

I disagree and it seems stewards do as well. If you look at it at speed it looks like Hamilton will enter the racing line (and he does).

Usually drivers slow down or even stop until the driver on the hot lap goes through.
Nah… sam collins sees it like i do.

You peeps just aren’t familiar with the track. Perez backs off way before the entry of the corne. Hamilton probably planned to give him room to enter the corner then file behind him but perez slowed down so much on entry that they met at the exit. If perez takes the corner normally hamilton would be nowhere near him. Learn the track if youre going to argue this hard about a simply bad call.
Last edited by Hammerfist on 24 Aug 2024, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 20:48
Hammerfist wrote:

He was on the racing line. There is no discussion here.

Perez:
https://i.postimg.cc/pLMQxxRr/Perez-Ham ... g-Line.gif

Verstappen:
https://i.postimg.cc/t4d34f45/Verstappe ... g-Line.gif
I said on entry. Of course hes on the racing line on exit because perez backed off too early.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Hammerfist wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 21:10

You peeps just aren’t familiar with the track. Perez backs off way before the entry of the corne. Hamilton probably planned to give him room to enter the corner then file behind him but perez slowed down so much on entry that they met at the exit. If perez takes the corner normally hamilton would be nowhere near him. Learn the track if youre going to argue this hard about a simply bad call.
We are fully aware of the track. It is insulting to talk like you did here. You can do better.

Stewards seem to agree that Hamilton impeded. In my opinion, it was not clear that Hamilton was aware Perez was coming through, he was constant speed going toward the racing line and Perez didn't feel like risking it.

In many races if you watch the qualifying you can see that the drivers wait, almost stop sometimes when they know someone is coming, you can't just go onto the racing line (at the exit), you have to stay off the racing line until the driver on the hot lap goes through.

It is completely ridiculous that Sam Collins brings that where was Hamilton supposed to go. Hamilton could have easily braked and then waited until Perez is through or he could have given a little bit more throttle and go through the corner before Perez shows up. Coulthard had the same reaction in the race, he said there is the fast pedal - you can move out of the way.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Hammerfist wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 20:47
Hammerfist wrote:

You are correct

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 23:00
Hammerfist wrote:

We are fully aware of the track. It is insulting to talk like you did here. You can do better.

Stewards seem to agree that Hamilton impeded. In my opinion, it was not clear that Hamilton was aware Perez was coming through, he was constant speed going toward the racing line and Perez didn't feel like risking it.

In many races if you watch the qualifying you can see that the drivers wait, almost stop sometimes when they know someone is coming, you can't just go onto the racing line (at the exit), you have to stay off the racing line until the driver on the hot lap goes through.

It is completely ridiculous that Sam Collins brings that where was Hamilton supposed to go. Hamilton could have easily braked and then waited until Perez is through or he could have given a little bit more throttle and go through the corner before Perez shows up. Coulthard had the same reaction in the race, he said there is the fast pedal - you can move out of the way.
+1. The view of Sam Collins is narrow-minded but it's framed for one audience so this is not unexpected.
The bigger picture problem if you can get past the deception of Sam Collins is that Hamilton's in-lap was too slow. If he sped up, he never would have crossed paths with Perez. That is why he was penalized. It doesn't matter if he "had nowhere to go" because the real reason that they crossed paths is because he chose to take the risk of driving a SLOW in-lap. It is a choice. He was punished accordingly. Every second that you are out on the race track and not at full speed, you have to take responsibility for any impeding situation. Hamilton did own up to it and didn't seem to bothered about it. It happens. It was not deliberate.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 25 Aug 2024, 00:45, edited 2 times in total.

Big Tea

The penalty is not for intentionally impeding, just for doing it. As I see it Hamilton had little option, defiantly not intentional, but it did mess up Checo's lap.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SKYnRacing24

Poor from Hamilton, You come back after a summer break and produce that. Im not even surprised by his one lack of pace under these regs and cheese tyres i don't expect it to get better in Ferrari red next year. Hopefully Russell can sneak a podium some how.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Luscion
Luscion

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
25 Aug 2024, 03:19
Poor from Hamilton, You come back after a summer break and produce that. Im not even surprised by his one lack of pace under these regs and cheese tyres i don't expect it to get better in Ferrari red next year. Hopefully Russell can sneak a podium some how.
These Pirelli tires are flimsy but it seems to be an issue affecting Merc more than anyone else, i dont usually see RB or Ferrari complaining about tire temp issues nearly as often and Mclaren rarely does, if at all. Shov and Allison both talked about their issues with the rear tires still overheating before the summer break and that their working on giving Lewis a car he can attack with

Dunlay
Dunlay

Now that Lewis is starting so far behind, would he make an inspiring call on strategy (more like taking his own call in the race) and make it work? Rather than complaining. I don't think George's supporters would put a fire on the Internet if that happens. So let's see.

atanatizante

Luscion wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 17:21
atanatizante wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 17:09
Did they use the SPA upgrades in qualy after all? I mean the situation resembles the SPA weekend when they decided to use the Silverstone spec car ...

Now RUS said on Sky F1 after the qualy that there were at least 2 factors that contributed to these poor results: the car is sensitive to crosswinds and the track temp was lowering constantly by 2 centigrades for each session requiring adjusting the out-lap tyre prep which unfortunately didn't went well for them ...

That seems a little bit curious to me bearing in mind that HAM was the fastest in Q1, looking strong on the track and being one of the four drivers (NOR, PIA, VER) group which were using only a set of softs. Then on the other side, RUS was 13th after the first hot lap with some 8-tenths slower and moaning he had no grip.

On another note, both HAM and RUS seem to me that they went for a lower DF setup, for topping the second and third top speed on the main straight. So they are prepared for a dry race tomorrow...

Regarding the strategy for tomorrow if it`s dry it`ll be an obvious 1-stop race with a probably M-H tyre option for the top drivers on the grid. And maybe HAM will use the same strategy as in 2022, starting on the hards and going long in the first stint ...
They both had the upgrades on since fp2, which they seemed competitive during, so much so that Lando said Merc were the fastest and that Mclaren had work to do overnight. Whatever they did to the setup overnight made the car worse so its not the upgrades imo. George statement about the crosswinds contradicts what Allison said about how their car is the least affected by winds but that was months ago so maybe things have changed. Lewis said the balance just got worse and worse as the session went on with the car just getting more snappy and oversteery

Yup

1. At least they didn't put all the SPA upgrades, coz for instance they still using the double fairings/wings over the halo from the old car spec

2. In qualy both cars didn't spark so much during a lap, hence they rised the car as rumours say that after FP2 they found the plank is wearing too much.

3.Loosing DF had a domino effect both on the car balance and tyre warmup prep and the wet FP3 didn't allowed them to check the car balance after they rised the car, which unfortunately caught them unprepared or unable to make further changes in the qualy sessions.

4.And speaking of tyres, this week we have the hardest ones in the range - C1,C2, C3 - as they did in Silvestone. The issue is that the soft C3 tyre is tricky to build the heat into the tyre core of it on such a short track and particularly with no high or just a short high speed corner... not to mention a green and a coldish track one...

5. It seems that at least with this upgrades the car's optimal window has shrinked and in addition rised the wind sensitivity
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus