US lite truck industry literally breaking down

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Belatti
Belatti

Re: North American Vehicle Production

Carlos, what about these two Daihatsus ? :D

Minivan

Mini Pick-Up

They have 2 cylinders just beside the drivers butt :lol:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti
Belatti

Re: US lite truck industry literally breaking down

Well, we can´t make everybody live next door from work... but certainly if cities would be built in a better planned way, that effect would be minimized.

When will we travel inside pneumatic tubes? :lol:

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

Ciro Pabón

There are other solutions, specially for claustrophobic, sun-enjoying persons... :D

Does anybody knows if it's true that the most energy-efficient animal in movement is the bee? Followed by a person in a bycicle? Where the *&%ck did I read that? It was decades ago, before personal computers existed.

So, I suggest to ride a bee (or to buy a bycicle), at least during summer. :D
Ciro

rjsa
rjsa

That blue ford galaxie in the first picture is certainly not part of the solution :wink:

Carlos
Carlos

Re: North American Vehicle Production

=D> =D>
Belatti - Without going into 'research mode' - I'd say thats one of the Japanese Kei 360cc 2 stroke microvans. Today that segment has advanced to the 4 stroke 600cc class. I was looking at a press release last month for a 600cc microvan that seats seven, yes, 7 people, may have been a Suzuki, a 1000cc version is marketed in Europe.

I very much think the Kei microcar/van definitely has a place in many markets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/autom ... ref=slogin

Japanese Kei Class 360cc > 600cc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keicar

Edited the silly details

Carlos
Carlos

For a second I thought Ford Galaxie, then looking at the street scale a Ford Falcon, maybe a Rambler American circa mid-60's, but then realizing it's probably a street scape in Bogotá, one of the most stylish urbane cities in the world, it's probably a modern chassis with acknowledging retro cues.

OT - I support biking when possible, my current main transportation is a '77 Sekine racing bicycle converted to a tourer with different handlebars ( better ergonomics), lightweight plastic full fenders and a 7 cubic foot carrier, regretfully I had to change out the magnesium rims because they are just too fragile for city streets. I will admit, at times, I miss my '85 Mazda RX7 :D

Ted68

A usual, you are right, Carlos. It's a late 60's Argentinian manufactured Ford Falcon VA3000. I'd love to have one here in the states.

Here's a link in Spanish;
http://www.todofalcon.com.ar/falconVA.htm

Ford did build a version from 82-91 with the same body and modern running gear, including rectangular lighting at both ends. A hideous looking vehicle.

http://www.todofalcon.com.ar/falcon82.htm

Okay, back to the topic...
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

Ciro Pabón

I would say it could be an american Fairlane. I'll rule out an argentinian car in Colombia, because of distances involved, but you never know.

Many of those old cars have been converted to natural gas (my old car has) because of the cost of gasoline and the difficulty to pass mandatory exhaust gas tests, that, incidentally, are a pain in the butt.

In the last decade most of the old american cars that used to dot Bogotá's streets have disappeared, being replaced by compact corean and japanese cars, which are harder to mantain in their old age.

Which leads me to the topic: it's really hard to find an american light truck in the third world these days. If there is a market that has been hardly hit are exports of american cars to "our" countries. As I said, forty years ago nobody even think of buying a mexican or argentinian car, much less a corean one.

Now, the US government comes to the rescue of the big three: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/busin ... to.html?hp

"The Bush administration is examining a range of options for providing emergency financial help to spur a merger between General Motors and Chrysler, according to government officials."

NOTE: I'm going to merge the thread I opened about North American car production with this one, if no one argues against it. Sorry, I forgot this one existed.
Ciro

Belatti
Belatti

Ted68 wrote:A usual, you are right, Carlos. It's a late 60's Argentinian manufactured Ford Falcon VA3000. I'd love to have one here in the states.

Here's a link in Spanish;
http://www.todofalcon.com.ar/falconVA.htm

Ford did build a version from 82-91 with the same body and modern running gear, including rectangular lighting at both ends. A hideous looking vehicle.

http://www.todofalcon.com.ar/falcon82.htm

Okay, back to the topic...
Ted, its ironical you want to have an Argentinian 60´s Ford Falcon because there are Millions arround here and I´d love to have a Charger or a Mustang here in Argentina

Wanna Exchange? :lol:

EDIT: Yeah, the 82-91 version is hideous. Carroll Shelby once said a Ford Falcon is a secretary´s car :lol:

riff_raff
riff_raff

Ciro,

"Does anybody knows if it's true that the most energy-efficient animal in movement is the bee? Followed by a person in a bycicle?"

I believe the most energy efficient animal (or fish) is the blue fin tuna. It can swim at very high speeds in relation to the amount of energy it expends.

Of course, that only relates to physical output. If one were to take into account the value to humanity of creative or scientific knowledge output versus caloric intake, then I'm sure creatures like Archimedes, DaVinci, Einstein or Newton would dominate.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Saribro
Saribro

To toss in some on-topic stuff:

xpensive
xpensive

Absolutely wonderful, Maribro! My sentiments precisely, which goes for Saab and Volvo too, who are equally expecting tax-payers to pay them to produce cars the public don't want to buy.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar
donskar

As a Toyota employee I might be paying more attention to this topic than some other members of this forum, so I'd like to add this:

Many USA states have given "foreign" manufacturers many millions of dollars in incentives (such as tax breaks) to lure them to the US. "Domestic" manufacturers do not get these breaks. Toyota got millions of dollars of tax relief to build their Tundra truck plant in San Antonio Texas. They got a lot of PR mileage by giving it back one million in a flashy public ceremony. That give-back is the exception!

The US manufacturers are asking for about $15 billion and are being put through the wringer to get it. Financial companies have gotten hundreds of billion with virtually no regulation or restriction.

A point we at Toyota keep to ourselves: the quality of "domestic" vehicles (especially Ford, Buick, Cadillac) has risen greatly -- it is now quite close to Japanese quality. MPG is another matter!

Finally, relative to the title of this thread, I can't get enough Tundras to meet demand.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

donskar
donskar

Saribro, THANK YOU!

That picture is now hanging in our sales office.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

peteskar

The NASCAR people don't like Toyota in there hill billy racing because toyota can make over variable valve timing that works and the "big" 3 can't quite figure that trick out yet
“… the last time someone was as wrong as you, was when a politician stepped off an aeroplane in 1939 waving a piece of paper in the air saying there will be no war with Germany ”

- Jeremy Clarkson