Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
loekf2
loekf2

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Maplesoup wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 16:17
Not sure how true this is but apparently Ferrari are having some issues with the paint they are using for the car. Dirt from the track is getting stuck to the car which wasn't an issue previously with the gloss paint which will be adding weight to the car and I imagine could effect the aero if there is enough of a build up.

The mechanics are also having a hard time cleaning the car, which could be an issue on race weekends between the track sessions.

Source: f1fanspageofficial (instagram)

Anyone heard anything about this from a more official source?
AFAIK cars are completely stripped and rebuilt between races, so all paint is removed and re-applied.

Think I've seen this in a RB documentary.

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

loekf2 wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 07:28
Maplesoup wrote:
Not sure how true this is but apparently Ferrari are having some issues with the paint they are using for the car. Dirt from the track is getting stuck to the car which wasn't an issue previously with the gloss paint which will be adding weight to the car and I imagine could effect the aero if there is enough of a build up.

The mechanics are also having a hard time cleaning the car, which could be an issue on race weekends between the track sessions.

AFAIK cars are completely stripped and rebuilt between races, so all paint is removed and re-applied.

Oh yea i know that, but they aren't stripped and repainted between sessions at the track. So the build up of grime from all the practice sessions could effect their performance at qualifying.

I haven't seen any other source for this rumor by the way, was hoping someone on here would know more perhaps but seems not :)

Sevach
Sevach

loekf2 wrote:
Maplesoup wrote:

Hmmmm could they show up with a standard paint job at Melbourne?

Morteza

Ferrari also (like Haas) with a single pipe instead of two
Via AMuS
Last edited by Morteza on 26 Feb 2019, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

henry

Morteza wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 10:33
Ferrari also (like Haas) with a single pipe instead of two
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0UYbErWkAAsH9d.jpg
Via @AlbertFabrega
Difficult to be sure but it looks as though the swan neck supports the lower wing element rather than the moveable flap.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Maplesoup wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 09:03
loekf2 wrote:
Maplesoup wrote:

Oh yea i know that, but they aren't stripped and repainted between sessions at the track. So the build up of grime from all the practice sessions could effect their performance at qualifying.

I haven't seen any other source for this rumor by the way, was hoping someone on here would know more perhaps but seems not :)
This seems like it could easily be a real problem for them. How much the dirty car truly impacts things other than aesthetics I don't know, but if this forces them to go back to a proper glossy paint job, so much the better!

This matte paint looks horrible.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PhillipM
PhillipM

As I said earlier, all the cars run coatings over the paint anyway, not an issue.

Morteza

Via @RacecarEngineer

MtthsMlw

So, now one big wastegate instead of two smaller ones..why? And is this even compliant with the regulations?

FMP
FMP

MtthsMlw wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 21:30
So, now one big wastegate instead of two smaller ones..why? And is this even compliant with the regulations?
I looked up teh regulations this morning and it specifcally states that you can have one or two, so no problems there. Can't bother to look up the technical regulations again... But the other and more interesting question is why? And Scarbs didn't seem to think there would be any major change at all. I would assume it would be more on the internal side if any.
Last edited by FMP on 26 Feb 2019, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

MtthsMlw

roon
roon

MtthsMlw wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 21:30
Alternate way of increasing the engine cover outlet area? Without changing the engine cover.

gastonmazzacane

Ringleheim wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 19:23
Maplesoup wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 09:03
loekf2 wrote:

This seems like it could easily be a real problem for them. How much the dirty car truly impacts things other than aesthetics I don't know, but if this forces them to go back to a proper glossy paint job, so much the better!

This matte paint looks horrible.
Those Instagram rumors are getting crazier every year. If it would be such a big deal, why would Redbull and Williams keep matte livery for all this years?

roon
roon

Recall what Alfa Romeo Sauber invested in last year:

brabhambt wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 16:19
From Swiss Journalist Roger Benoit:
The Hinwiler team covered the front wing flaps on the C37 and covered everything with blue foil on the floor plate in front of the rear wheels. Blick technician Mike Hammer: "This is an anti-adhesive film. It is intended to prevent too many rubber clippings from getting caught in the front wing columns and the slots in front of the rear wheels. Team Manager Beat Zehnder revealed that the Team in Singapore has nearly scratched two kilos of rubber from the car. That causes uncanny output fluctuations! »
Sevach wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 18:53

MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 18:27