2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

CjC wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:44
I’ve been one of Landos bigger critics over the years but wow what a driver he’s turning into.

Great weekend last week dominated the midfield in my opinion.
He was just superb in quali yesterday and then followed it up with another tremendous drive today... he obliterated the midfield today👍🏻

It’s a shame the power is going to Micheal Masi’s head.... not only a harsh 5 second penalty in the race but 2 penalty points on his licence!!!🙈
What really?! 2 penalty points too. What a total joke. Have they properly lost the plot?!

the EDGE
the EDGE

I hope today leads to a different race philosophy from McLaren

For too long they have thought like a midfield team, using the softer rubber in Q3 & looking after tyres too much

If they only set their sights on the cars behind them they will never be able to take the fight forward

Today has proved they are in a better shape than they believe, okay, I might be a bit track specific, but they have to learn from today and aim higher, they might not reach higher, but if they don’t try then they definitely won’t

ScottR267
ScottR267

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:I hope today leads to a different race philosophy from McLaren

For too long they have thought like a midfield team, using the softer rubber in Q3 & looking after tyres too much

If they only set their sights on the cars behind them they will never be able to take the fight forward

Today has proved they are in a better shape than they believe, okay, I might be a bit track specific, but they have to learn from today and aim higher, they might not reach higher, but if they don’t try then they definitely won’t
I’m with you… Today, Lando didn’t just let the cars behind go through and it paid off… But let’s also admit that the likes of Mercedes didn’t had a great race either.

I can’t fault the team for their calls so far this season, last week we were lapped by both RBR and Mercedes, the car didn’t had the pace it had this weekend so the strategy has to take that into account.

In regards to starting on Mediums, the reality is that the one lap pace difference between Mediums and Softs was very small for this race (about 2-3 tenths), that allowed the team to Qualify on Mediums… On tracks where the gap is bigger, we see even the big teams Qualify on the softest compounds, it is very track related.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darth-Piekus

mwillems wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:01
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:59
mwillems wrote:
Oh, why is that?
That’s just mean… Lol

lol I wasn't going to go too far, I just hadn't replied/baited in a while!

But to be fair, his response to me was measured and reigned back in, so kudos to DarthPiekus really! :D =D>
Let's just say that I have a good feeling for next year. Zak Brown has built a fantastic team with Andreas Seidl who created dominating teams in other series and James Key who many claim him to be the new Andrian Newey. Next year the new rules will force everyone to start from scratch and have the same budget. Mclaren this year managed to find loopholes after so many years and make an innovation noone expected so I am confident that they will find something next year to gain an early advantage.

saputra_25
saputra_25

did checo get penalty point on his license as well?
If not, then those steward are F***ing As***le

CjC
CjC

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:51
CjC wrote:
I’ve been one of Landos bigger critics over the years but wow what a driver he’s turning into.

He was just superb in quali yesterday and then followed it up with another tremendous drive today... he obliterated the midfield today👍🏻

It’s a shame the power is going to Micheal Masi’s head.... not only a harsh 5 second penalty in the race but 2 penalty points on his licence!!!🙈
What really?! 2 penalty points too. What a total joke. Have they properly lost the plot?!
I agree

Especially as 8 drivers including Daniel have been called up to the stewards office for not slowing under yellows... I think Masi wants to set a record for the most penalty seconds and points given in a race🙈🙈
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

ScottR267 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 18:02
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/horn ... z/6625603/

I think this says it all.....
He will say that though as without the 5 second penalty Lando should have finished second and took more points off Mercedes to Red Bulls advantage....
Just a fan's point of view

the EDGE
the EDGE

CjC wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 18:26
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:51
CjC wrote:

I agree

Especially as 8 drivers including Daniel have been called up to the stewards office for not slowing under yellows... I think Masi wants to set a record for the most penalty seconds and points given in a race🙈🙈
To be fair, this happened a few races back and Massi made a big thing about it, holding back on penalising drivers

If he’s specifically warned them to lift more and they haven’t then that’s on them

If RICs lifted enough and others haven’t then he’ll get promoted a place or 2

If they all get penalties then it will probably make little difference to the race result

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 18:07
the EDGE wrote:I hope today leads to a different race philosophy from McLaren

I’m with you… Today, Lando didn’t just let the cars behind go through and it paid off… But let’s also admit that the likes of Mercedes didn’t had a great race either.

I can’t fault the team for their calls so far this season, last week we were lapped by both RBR and Mercedes, the car didn’t had the pace it had this weekend so the strategy has to take that into account.

In regards to starting on Mediums, the reality is that the one lap pace difference between Mediums and Softs was very small for this race (about 2-3 tenths), that allowed the team to Qualify on Mediums… On tracks where the gap is bigger, we see even the big teams Qualify on the softest compounds, it is very track related.

A really good result, especially as Lando had a 5 sec penalty, very pleased, BUT, if perez had passed, and he was going to very soon, how would it have played out? Would Lando have caught him and Bottas?
I personally do not think so. It was roundabouts and swings today, and it ended up in his favour so it does not matter.

A nice boost for driver and team for the upcoming events still on the upward curve so looking good
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

proteus

ScottR267 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:48
Danny Ric 1 of 8 drivers going to the stewards for not slowing down under double waived yellows following the kimi and vettel clash!
Didnt Masi instructed the drivers not to dangerously slow down on the track since the last race? (heavy sarcasm)
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

the EDGE
the EDGE

Big Tea wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 18:32
A really good result, especially as Lando had a 5 sec penalty, very pleased, BUT, if perez had passed, and he was going to very soon, how would it have played out? Would Lando have caught him and Bottas?
I personally do not think so. It was roundabouts and swings today, and it ended up in his favour so it does not matter.

A nice boost for driver and team for the upcoming events still on the upward curve so looking good
That is of course true, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th… all possibilities today

But the takeaway is we were closer to the lead today than the last 9 years

That’s the big deal… not the end result

proof the team is working well & understanding how to find performance both on the track & back in Woking

Marc.W

saputra_25 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 18:11
did checo get penalty point on his license as well?
If not, then those steward are F***ing As***le
Yes Checo got 2 for each incident

JRindt

This is the most boneheaded stewarding I’ve ever seen. The 5 second penalties themselves were effing ridiculous in the first place (except the first Perez and Leclerc incident), now they’re awarding penalty points too…? If every race is held this way, the entire grid will get a 1 race suspension before the season is over

Herr_Koos

ScottR267 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:19
Shows how well Lando is driving this season, he has 101 points alone, Ferrari has 102 as a team! Also after 9 races not many would have predicted he would also be 9 points ahead of Bottas in the standings!
Ferrari have more than 102.