2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Stig14
Stig14

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 08:32
djos wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 01:49
It looks to me like Lando got lucky with close to perfect conditions (relatively speaking) with his 2nd lap in Q2 as he never got even remotely close to that time again in Q2. Aside from that 1 very impressive, mega lap, Lando was slower than Daniel in Q2 for those first few laps.

https://i.imgur.com/HJeYfBd.png
Lando was slower than Daniel in those first few laps? Are you arguing that Daniel was faster than Lando based on the time from when they pitted at the end of Q1 to when they crossed the finish line on their outlap? Which were 7 minutes? And then you are arguing that he was faster because he did his outlap faster than Lando?… I mean, I understand that you have a need to defend Daniel as much as possible, but we should at least make an effort to do it with some sort of meaningful data.

Lando didn’t got “lucky”, the track didn’t devolve in 15 seconds, both were on track “at the same time” in terms of track conditions… Even Latiffi in a Williams manage to improve in during the “heavy rain” period and was faster than Daniel by a full second.

Simply put, Daniel didn’t performed when he needed to… He had a very poor first attempt and that’s what made him miss on an opportunity to drive in Q3 and ultimately destroyed his race by starting so out of position… He wasn’t “unlucky”, the team didn’t screwed him or anything of the sort, he just disappointed and didn’t delivered during Qualifying.
Well said but it's a lost cause buddy- I gave up making logical arguements on this topic as they don't get listened to by some.

Let's just hope Daniel has one of his more competitive weekends. Perhaps only having a single practice session before quali will help as there will be less time for others to "dial in"?

McL-H
McL-H

Can someone explain to me how it is possible for Mercedes to improve their car to the point they are fighting for race wins, yet we have been falling back massively? We have budget cap in place so resources should not be an issue anymore. Albeit the wind tunnel. I have been hearing about this wind tunnel for the past 5 years now. It keeps getting delayed, why? I see 30 story buildings get build faster than that infamous wind tunnel. Is it funds? If so, why is funds prioritised in order to compete in secondary racing classes like Indy and FE, instead of speeding up the wind tunnel so we can be competitive in what should be our primary racing series (F1)? Do we have the right people at the right places to be a championship contender again?

Maybe the most important question: are sportive accomplishments in F1 still a priority at all at McLaren? In all honesty it has been a question I have been asking myself for some time now. Especially since the passing of Mansour Ojjeh. I know his priorities lied at McLaren being successful in F1. He loved the team. Not so sure about the other shareholders..

djos

It’s very disappointing to see Mclaren bringing tiny little tweaks to races - Williams brought a B Spec car to Silverstone and Mclaren just seen to be treading water ATM. 😢
"In downforce we trust"

Ben1980
Ben1980

djos wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 11:51
It’s very disappointing to see Mclaren bringing tiny little tweaks to races - Williams brought a B Spec car to Silverstone and Mclaren just seen to be treading water ATM. 😢
And Mclaren were still faster then Williams.

Ben1980
Ben1980

McL-H wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 11:44
Can someone explain to me how it is possible for Mercedes to improve their car to the point they are fighting for race wins, yet we have been falling back massively? We have budget cap in place so resources should not be an issue anymore. Albeit the wind tunnel. I have been hearing about this wind tunnel for the past 5 years now. It keeps getting delayed, why? I see 30 story buildings get build faster than that infamous wind tunnel. Is it funds? If so, why is funds prioritised in order to compete in secondary racing classes like Indy and FE, instead of speeding up the wind tunnel so we can be competitive in what should be our primary racing series (F1)? Do we have the right people at the right places to be a championship contender again?

Maybe the most important question: are sportive accomplishments in F1 still a priority at all at McLaren? In all honesty it has been a question I have been asking myself for some time now. Especially since the passing of Mansour Ojjeh. I know his priorities lied at McLaren being successful in F1. He loved the team. Not so sure about the other shareholders..
Because Mercedes are a massive team with a lot of infrastructure who would have spent a lot more money in the build up to the new cars and cap. It's really not rocket science.

The rest of your post just seems nonsense.

djos

Ben1980 wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 12:57
djos wrote:
Only Albon got the B spec and he destroyed his car in the first lap of the race.
"In downforce we trust"

Mclarenfanboy
Mclarenfanboy

Ben1980 wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 12:59
McL-H wrote:

Because Mercedes are a massive team with a lot of infrastructure who would have spent a lot more money in the build up to the new cars and cap. It's really not rocket science.

I think McL-H has some good points, dont dismiss him like that, that mantra of "our inside organisation is perfect bla bla bla ", led us to 2015-2018 times. Yeah , with all the financial problems aside, we are hearing that wind tunnel bla bla bla for ages now... whole Apple campus was built in less times... ok I dont agree that there is not a desire to win, McLaren exist to win, but I don t think everything is really fantastic , and I dont think money is the biggest culprit anymore... I mean , new investors came like 2 year ago ...

Ben1980
Ben1980

djos wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 13:05
Ben1980 wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 12:57
djos wrote:
Only Albon got the B spec and he destroyed his car in the first lap of the race.
And he was out qualified by latifi. I honestly don't believe that Williams will be quicker the mclaren over the rest of the season.

organic

Norris having more problems with engine (maybe?). He said the car was on fire "smoking from under my seat"

Not good for a sprint weekend

Lost the whole session with Lando and Ricciardo's wing is oscillating with DRS. DRS problems from Silverstone persisting
Last edited by organic on 08 Jul 2022, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

Yea might be advisable to skip this weekend mentally, I recommend that some posters on here do the same🙈
Just a fan's point of view

McL-H
McL-H

Mclarenfanboy wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 13:47
Ben1980 wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 12:59
McL-H wrote:

I think McL-H has some good points, dont dismiss him like that, that mantra of "our inside organisation is perfect bla bla bla ", led us to 2015-2018 times. Yeah , with all the financial problems aside, we are hearing that wind tunnel bla bla bla for ages now... whole Apple campus was built in less times... ok I dont agree that there is not a desire to win, McLaren exist to win, but I don t think everything is really fantastic , and I dont think money is the biggest culprit anymore... I mean , new investors came like 2 year ago ...
Thank you. Yes, how long should it take to build a wind tunnel? Is it that complicated for it to take longer than some of the most major construction projects in the world? And why are we taking funds to secondary racing series if this wind tunnel is holding us back so much? It doesn’t seem right.

And well, I mean that perhaps current investors are there for profit only and they don’t care whether the team is P1 or P4, as long as the team is producing profits to them. I don’t state that to be the case, but a possibility. And if so, I consider it a big betrayal to the fans. Can’t be that fans care more than the owners. But sometimes it damn right seems so since Ojjeh passed away.

I love this team and want them to do good. And I think it is the responsibility of us as fans to demand for nothing more than the absolute best. We are supporting the team with our money and time and I think the questions I ask are genuine and not “nonsense” in any way.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Yeah, certainly not looking like a great start to the weekend.

Xero

Going into Qualifying later today with one hand tied behind their back. Going to be a tough weekend from here, so into damage limitation mode.

Emag
Emag

Yeah this one is looking like it's going to be a disaster of a weekend.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Stig14 wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 09:34
SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 08:32
djos wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 01:49
It looks to me like Lando got lucky with close to perfect conditions (relatively speaking) with his 2nd lap in Q2 as he never got even remotely close to that time again in Q2. Aside from that 1 very impressive, mega lap, Lando was slower than Daniel in Q2 for those first few laps.

https://i.imgur.com/HJeYfBd.png
Lando was slower than Daniel in those first few laps? Are you arguing that Daniel was faster than Lando based on the time from when they pitted at the end of Q1 to when they crossed the finish line on their outlap? Which were 7 minutes? And then you are arguing that he was faster because he did his outlap faster than Lando?… I mean, I understand that you have a need to defend Daniel as much as possible, but we should at least make an effort to do it with some sort of meaningful data.

Lando didn’t got “lucky”, the track didn’t devolve in 15 seconds, both were on track “at the same time” in terms of track conditions… Even Latiffi in a Williams manage to improve in during the “heavy rain” period and was faster than Daniel by a full second.

Simply put, Daniel didn’t performed when he needed to… He had a very poor first attempt and that’s what made him miss on an opportunity to drive in Q3 and ultimately destroyed his race by starting so out of position… He wasn’t “unlucky”, the team didn’t screwed him or anything of the sort, he just disappointed and didn’t delivered during Qualifying.
Well said but it's a lost cause buddy- I gave up making logical arguements on this topic as they don't get listened to by some.

Let's just hope Daniel has one of his more competitive weekends. Perhaps only having a single practice session before quali will help as there will be less time for others to "dial in"?
Agreed, let’s hope he has a good weekend! We need the points to fight Alpine.