2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I wonder if Pastor Maldonado is available? :D #-o
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Lando is confident if he can find a brake petal🤣

Also how many development parts can Mclaren afford to bring with an extra $4.34 million??🤣
Just a fan's point of view

McL-H
McL-H

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 16:13
McL-H wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 14:20
Mclarenfanboy wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 13:47

I think McL-H has some good points, dont dismiss him like that, that mantra of "our inside organisation is perfect bla bla bla ", led us to 2015-2018 times. Yeah , with all the financial problems aside, we are hearing that wind tunnel bla bla bla for ages now... whole Apple campus was built in less times... ok I dont agree that there is not a desire to win, McLaren exist to win, but I don t think everything is really fantastic , and I dont think money is the biggest culprit anymore... I mean , new investors came like 2 year ago ...
Thank you. Yes, how long should it take to build a wind tunnel? Is it that complicated for it to take longer than some of the most major construction projects in the world? And why are we taking funds to secondary racing series if this wind tunnel is holding us back so much? It doesn’t seem right.

And well, I mean that perhaps current investors are there for profit only and they don’t care whether the team is P1 or P4, as long as the team is producing profits to them. I don’t state that to be the case, but a possibility. And if so, I consider it a big betrayal to the fans. Can’t be that fans care more than the owners. But sometimes it damn right seems so since Ojjeh passed away.

I love this team and want them to do good. And I think it is the responsibility of us as fans to demand for nothing more than the absolute best. We are supporting the team with our money and time and I think the questions I ask are genuine and not “nonsense” in any way.
A lot of the questions you are asking are going to be very hard for anyone not in the Team (and potentially in Team Management) to answer accurately, but I’ll try my best to address a few of them based on similar Capex / Infrastructure projects that I have led and continue to manage today.

Regarding Mercedes fighting for wins (which with the exception of Silverstone, hasn’t been the case so far this season), it’s interesting to note that there hasn’t been big aero changes to their car so far, it would seem that most of their improvement are coming from changes / updates to their suspension and some tweaks to their floor… Why they are improving faster than McLaren? It may be due to 2 reasons:

1.- They have better tools / equipment / infrastructure in place, which allows them to do more with less… The better the tools, the less time you need to assess a problem, design a solution and implement it… This gap between both teams has been created during a decade of Mercedes spending more than double what McLaren was in a given season (same situation with Red Bull and Ferrari).

2.- They may have a better brain tank than McLaren, when spending as much as they have during the last decade, it is within the realm of possibility that they simply have a better overall Team in regards to engineers, designers, etc… A lot of people get fixated on discussing a couple of individuals (like Key for example), but seem to forget that these teams have several hundreds of people working on these cars and not one individual is responsible for it… At the level Key operates for example, it shouldn’t be expected for him to “design” a car, but to lead the Team that actually does it and ensure that they are operating at the best level possible.

The Wind Tunnel lead time, a couple of things that you need to take into account… The investment and approval for it was secured in 2019, with the expectation of work on the Wind Tunnel to start in 2020… Even though we are coming back to normal, we seem to forget that during 2020 we had a pandemic going on and most projects like McLaren’s Wind Tunnel had to be brought to a halt. Not only was McLaren actually on the verge of having serious financial difficulties, the pandemic itself and the inability to work normally created delays and the project was surely post-phoned with focus on securing the Team’s financials first and understanding what the impact of Covid would be long term.

Once Covid was a bit more under control and with the Team been more secure from a Financial perspective, the project was probably started once again in 2021 with the expectation of it taking approx 2 years to complete (which seems to be in within the Time Frame that they are currently right now). Supply Chain issues globally and inflation had to also increase the costs for the project itself and delay the arrival of parts / components for it, which will have added several months to the initial project timeline (lead times globally have increased, more so with specialty parts / components like the ones I would expect a Wind Tunnel to need)… Finally and regarding the comment on the construction of a 30 story building been faster than the Wind Tunnel, it usually is way easier / faster to build a new piece of infrastructure than it is to replace / update an existing one since you have a lot less constrains with the a new building, in addition, one is way more complex and unique than the other, requiring a lot more specialized and skilled labor to complete.

Why they are venturing into other racing series? Because it’s good for the long term health of McLaren as a brand and as a company, it increases it’s appeal as a brand and generates more value for it’s investors, which we have to keep in mind that want a “profit”, long gone are the days of rich people investing (or better said, spending) money in Formula 1 just because they like the sport or wanted the glamour associated with it… In today’s world, the investors want a return for their money and if McLaren can’t provide that, they will simply stop supporting the Team… McLaren without the investors wouldn’t exist today… In addition, the other racing categories are way easier / cheaper to fund and for the most part I’m sure they are self sustainable and do not infringe in McLaren’s budget cap… Indycar’s budget is in the single digits compared to the 140 million that the F1 Team costs and has also allowed to find a place for some of the engineers that the team had to cut due to the Budget Cap, which also means that McLaren can use any extra resources it may have now that they can’t just invest more in the F1 Team.

Regarding what the mindset of the shareholders is in regards to sporting accomplishments, your guess is as good as mine and most probably we would be mistaken regardless of position we would take… In my opinion, their first priority is for the Team to be self sustainable, financially stable and not bleeding money on a yearly basis… In order for that to happen, it’s as important for the team to be fiscally responsible as it is to be successful on track, they both go hand in hand.

I will just strongly disagree with your statements that the fans should “demand” anything from the Team… There is no entitlement as a fan to make any kind of “demand” since none have any ownership or “skin in the game” when it comes to the team… The fact that some think that it’s within their rights to make demands baffles me… If one wants to make demands, find a way to invest in the team and become a shareholder… I’m sure the mentality of some would change quiet dramatically if their live savings and their future (and their families) would be linked to McLaren, I’m pretty sure that winning wouldn’t be the priority anymore and making a profit (or at least not losing money) would be at the top of their list.
Thanks for your comment and the clarification you try to gave from your experience and perspective. It has made some things make more sense to me. If Mercedes have created a knowledge gap over us during the past 10 years, making them progress more, shouldn’t we be prioritising taking that knowledge away from them? Buy people away from Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari? Or have we already been doing that? I think if other teams have more knowledgeable personnel than us, we should replace ours with theirs. Do you agree?

Also, I think you make a great case for the increased lead times on the wind tunnel, and surely replacing one within a structure in place will take more time than building from scratch. Agreed. But don’t you think you can speed up the build time by directing more funds to it, instead of leaking away your cash to secondary racing series? Especially since Zak keeps telling us that the wind tunnel will be our Hail Mary. That doesn’t make sense to me, while I do understand the move to add secondary racing series to the racing department.

Btw, McLaren and F1 would be nowhere without the fans. Although I cannot buy their cars, I have purchased for thousands of euros in merchandise to support the team and have been to many races to support them. As fans, I think we definitely have something to demand back from the team. And although I cannot demand championships, I do expect that they try to in order for them to be worth my time and money (that is my investment). Do they have to listen? No. But without the fans, they wouldn’t be here today.

mwillems

If they could get an extra 15 million I still don't think they'd spend much on this years car anyway.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McG

Is Ricciardo being 💩 again?
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

maxxer
maxxer

McG wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 00:38
he has been after he left red bull there was another team in between that time and he couldnt find his "old style" their either

JPower
JPower

maxxer wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 00:44
McG wrote:
he has been after he left red bull there was another team in between that time and he couldnt find his "old style" their either
Eh, he was pretty damn good in 2020.

maxxer
maxxer

JPower wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 01:20
maxxer wrote:
McG wrote:
Well he is but the car needs to suit him and i dont know why, because he used to dive into the smallest of gaps

maxxer
maxxer

JPower wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 01:20
maxxer wrote:
McG wrote:
Think i just solved what i am missing in f1 recently a driver taking a different approach to an apex and getting the overtake done after , instead of the overtaking with drs before the turn

djos

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 17:20
Wow. I am waiting to hear how Ricciardo managed today's result.
He got stuff all running/ quality prep time in FP1 due to rear wing issues.

The team are letting both drivers down ATM and really need to get their crap together!
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Yeah thats two weekends in a row now with stupid DRS issues. Its just baffling at times how Dan struggles so much pushing the car to the limit. I mean recently at Azerbaijan and Canada he was fine, then grip issues at Britain and now here struggling again. He never had this many issues adapting at any other teams. 2020 at Renault he was fantastic, regularly putting the car higher up the grid than it should have been. Its bloody painful to watch esp for Ricciardo fans. Something in the way McLaren design cars that just doesn't gel with him at certain tracks. I hope they can figure it out. Having said that this car is just a real slug at alot of tracks this year. Too much drag and the team have dropped the ball quite a few times as well. To see where Ferrari is now is hard to watch too.
Last edited by runningmanz on 09 Jul 2022, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.

djos

Based on his post qually interview, Daniel isn’t getting the feedback from the car that he needs and as a result he’s not able to feel what the car is doing on the limit or even if the car is at the limit.

It’s pretty hard to trust a car that doesn’t give you relevant feedback.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Top speed in FP1. Sad.

JPower
JPower

I looked at the onboards and telemetry on the fastest Q1 runs. DR lost 0.25s to Lando under braking into Turn 3 and that was held the entire way through the lap.

I don't think that's the car in this case. He really didn't lose that much elsewhere.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

McL-H wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 23:55
Thanks for your comment and the clarification you try to gave from your experience and perspective. It has made some things make more sense to me. If Mercedes have created a knowledge gap over us during the past 10 years, making them progress more, shouldn’t we be prioritising taking that knowledge away from them? Buy people away from Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari? Or have we already been doing that? I think if other teams have more knowledgeable personnel than us, we should replace ours with theirs. Do you agree?

Also, I think you make a great case for the increased lead times on the wind tunnel, and surely replacing one within a structure in place will take more time than building from scratch. Agreed. But don’t you think you can speed up the build time by directing more funds to it, instead of leaking away your cash to secondary racing series? Especially since Zak keeps telling us that the wind tunnel will be our Hail Mary. That doesn’t make sense to me, while I do understand the move to add secondary racing series to the racing department.

Btw, McLaren and F1 would be nowhere without the fans. Although I cannot buy their cars, I have purchased for thousands of euros in merchandise to support the team and have been to many races to support them. As fans, I think we definitely have something to demand back from the team. And although I cannot demand championships, I do expect that they try to in order for them to be worth my time and money (that is my investment). Do they have to listen? No. But without the fans, they wouldn’t be here today.
Regarding the knowledge gap build, you have to keep in mind that the knowledge base isn’t necessarily in one or two individuals… In principal, I do agree that it would make sense to try to poach talent when spotted… McLaren hiring Key is an example of the Team doing that, but the challenge becomes in regards to who you actually poach and whether those individuals (because you would need more than just one) will provide the results you expect, for example Paddy Lowe, someone that was considered a key part of Mercedes, lead a very successful team during his tenure there and simply flopped hard once he made the move to Williams… Furthermore, the knowledge gap built through the years is also a function of the amount of people the teams have, the budgets that the top 3 managed during the hybrid era, not only allowed them to have top talent, but also a large amount of it… In addition it also depends on whether those individuals want to make a move themselves… It isn’t clear cut and it could be a very expensive exercise… I’m sure the Team is constantly looking at the market for potential talent.

But the gap is not only in terms of the individuals, it is also the tools they have at their disposal… Better tools (from computational power, designing software, manufacturing equipment, testing equipment, the simulator, the wind tunnel, etc) all play a role and compound themselves to create a gap… The Team has been investing in renewing their tools, we hear a lot about the Simulator and Wind Tunnel because those 2 are big items, but there is a lot more that is been updated that goes below the radar and it’s not a cheap investment by any means.

In regards to speeding up the Wind Tunnel, sometimes you just can’t throw money at things and expect them to happen faster, specially with something as complex and technologically driven like a new Wind Tunnel… It is not been build by the Team, it is a combination of different vendors, contractors and engineers that have to deliver and they have timelines to make it happen… Unluckily, the current environment just makes it that much harder… An example of something that I’m currently going through, we have invested several million in a new piece of equipment to automate one of our manufacturing process, the project is not only delayed now, but we are running above budget because of increases in Freight, Raw Materials and Wages… We have had to change vendors a couple of times because they would arbitrarily increase their initial budgets and try to hold us hostages, making us lose time while we source a new company to deal with (and making our lawyers that much wealthy in the mean time)… Even if money could speed things up, then the question becomes one of return over investment… How much more to speed the project how much time? Are you going to throw 10 more million to gain a couple of months? Is it worthy? (Just a random number by the way).

The fan base is of course critical to McLaren and the Team is at the forefront in terms of fan engagement… But you may need to analyze a bit what you think you are owed by the Team itself… You have bought their merchandise because you want to be associated with the Team, wearing it with pride (hopefully not only when the team is winning)… But it doesn’t give you any right whatsoever to make any kind of “demand”… You can criticize them, you can cheer them or boo them, you can stop buying their merchandise or simply stop “investing” time watching them, you can feel disappointed and let down… But there is a huge gap between been a fan and enjoying watching the team race and feeling that you are entitled to something in return for your support… The Team appreciates the fans, they engage with them, generate content and in the last few years managed to get the fans closer to the Team, that’s what they can do for the fans…

There are only 2 groups that can “demand” anything from the team… The shareholders and the sponsors… For the rest of us, we need to decide if we stick around when the times are rough (like the last decade) or either stop watching F1 or find someone else to cheer for… I hate the current state of affairs, it isn’t pleasing to watch the team qualify P15 and P16, but I won’t stop supporting them because of it… I didn’t become a McLaren fan because they were winning and won’t stop been one because they aren’t doing it anymore… Nor am I a fan of a particular driver and will change teams when that driver moves somewhere else.