2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

runningmanz wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 04:39
Top speed in FP1. Sad.

https://snipboard.io/xK1P2a.jpg
It’s called “Practice” for a reason… If you want to make a point, at least do so with meaningful data and not cherry picking information that isn’t representative (like someone arguing that RIC was faster than Norris during the Out Lap during Silverstone qualifying)… This is a “Technical Forum” after all… If we are going to actually analyze the team’s top speed, let’s do it during representative running… Like qualifying for example:

Apparently, not the draggiest car on the grid this weekend… And that’s considering that neither car made it to Q3 where top speeds are usually higher considering that there is more rubber on track and therefore better exits out of corners.

runningmanz
runningmanz

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 07:27
runningmanz wrote:
Top speed in FP1. Sad.

It’s called “Practice” for a reason… If you want to make a point, at least do so with meaningful data and not cherry picking information that isn’t representative (like someone arguing that RIC was faster than Norris during the Out Lap during Silverstone qualifying)… This is a “Technical Forum” after all… If we are going to actually analyze the team’s top speed, let’s do it during representative running… Like qualifying for example:

https://i.imgur.com/dQXOYGn.jpg

Apparently, not the draggiest car on the grid this weekend… And that’s considering that neither car made it to Q3 where top speeds are usually higher considering that there is more rubber on track and therefore better exits out of corners.
Alright no need to be condescending about it, its not like we haven't been one of the slowest cars on the straights this season quite often. Also they do low fuel qualli sims in FP as well. Is any of those figures including a tow? Unless they average out those figures? Not sure where the speed trap is here though off the top of my head.

FIA figures for qualli.

Last edited by runningmanz on 09 Jul 2022, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.

djos

SmallSoldier wrote:
runningmanz wrote:
Top speed in FP1. Sad.

They weren’t out laps, they were confirmed qualifying laps.
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

runningmanz wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
runningmanz wrote:
Top speed in FP1. Sad.

Alright no need to be condescending about it, its not like we haven't been one of the slowest cars on the straights this season quite often. Also they do low fuel qualli sims in FP as well. Is any of those figures including a tow? Unless they average out those figures? Not sure where the speed trap is here though off the top of my head.

FIA figures for qualli.

Not been condescending, you are simply using data that isn’t representative to try to make a point… Has McLaren been in the bottom of the speed traps through the season? Yes… Was that the case in Austria? No.

I’m FP1, the team didn’t run Qualy simulations… Lando lost most of FP due to the engine issue and Daniel only run on Mediums, not doing a low fuel run and even if he had, McLaren since the arrival of Andreas has run on low modes during practice… It is simply part of their.

If you are going to use data, use representative one… Practice is meaningless for any kind of analysis and has always been the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
runningmanz wrote:
Top speed in FP1. Sad.

A 7 minute lap is a qualifying run?

A 1:47 lap (6 seconds slower than the flying lap) is a qualifying run?

No, they aren’t… And that’s simply a fact

djos

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 07:59
djos wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

That was an FIA timing glitch, it doesn’t take 7 mins to drive around a circuit.
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 07:59
djos wrote: They weren’t out laps, they were confirmed qualifying laps.

That was an FIA timing glitch, it doesn’t take 7 mins to drive around a circuit.
No, it is due to the location of the McLaren garage… Not a glitch.

The timing counts the time to “cross the finish line”, if the garage is behind the finish line… it will continue to count time from the the time it takes from the cool down lap from the last flying lap of the previous session to the time they cross the finish line again.., The 7 minutes represent the time it took them to get back to the pits after the session was over plus the time they were in the garage until they left for the next session (Q2) and cross the finish line again… that 7 minute lap time was the “in lap” or cool
down lap from Q1 plus the time they sat in the garage with until they exited for their last out lap in Q2.

The 1:47 is the actual out lap from Q2.

Trying to argue that Daniel was faster than Lando in those 2 laps is either trolling or simply purposely ignoring what an actual flying lap is… And in either case it is an argument in bad faith.

hudnut
hudnut

SmallSoldier wrote:

It’s called “Practice” for a reason… If you want to make a point, at least do so with meaningful data and not cherry picking information that isn’t representative (like someone arguing that RIC was faster than Norris during the Out Lap during Silverstone qualifying)…
Not the only person "cherry picking". I gave those times, followed by "He (RIC) was faster in the first attempt, but that may have been a "sighter" lap for both cars also, so maybe not representative ".

ie. They may not have been hot laps.

I thought that was pretty even handed.

Stig14
Stig14

What are we all expecting from the sprint later today then? I'm personally optimistic for Lando to make some progress. He will be on the clean side of the grid, showed some reasonable pace in Q1 (until the brakes seemed to decide they didn't want to slow the car any more for Q2) and the top speed doesn't seem terrible this weekend. Austria is a track where you can race and overtake so I'm hopefuk for a top 12 or so start for the grand Prix on Sunday for both cars

Ben1980
Ben1980

Lando seems to think the car had enough pace for q3, without the brake issue. So could maybe make up a few places. Though will have to piggy back off Perez maybe

Emag
Emag

They were very clearly understeering harder in Austria than recently. It's highly likely they have sacrificed more downforce than others to get some top speed around here.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Hope they’ve been able to sort the brakes? But as it’s parc ferme rules are they even able to touch the car? Norris didn’t sound impressed at all with the state of his brakes

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
08 Jul 2022, 21:53
I wonder if Pastor Maldonado is available? :D #-o
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mwillems

Emag wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 11:49
They were very clearly understeering harder in Austria than recently. It's highly likely they have sacrificed more downforce than others to get some top speed around here.
It was harder for all the cars, I think they are trying to brake into the corner more than the cars are happy to do, I think the cars are happy scrubbing the speed outside of the corner. That seemed to be a general thing, but then McLaren had their own issue on top with what I can only assume is overheating.

I'm not sure why Lando is confident that in the race it will be better. Perhaps because the laps are slower and less stress on the brakes in general but that suggests a very fine tolerance.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Xero

mwillems wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 13:26
Emag wrote:
09 Jul 2022, 11:49
It was harder for all the cars, I think they are trying to brake into the corner more than the cars are happy to do, I think the cars are happy scrubbing the speed outside of the corner. That seemed to be a general thing, but then McLaren had their own issue on top with what I can only assume is overheating.

I'm not sure why Lando is confident that in the race it will be better. Perhaps because the laps are slower and less stress on the brakes in general but that suggests a very fine tolerance.
Maybe because they had a practice session in between to get around the issue.