[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Important info:
One team manged to use the wrong MFlow version by finding the 2017 files on the homepage. Please make sure to download the files used for MVRC from here:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-files/

jjn9128

Me right now with this #$@&%*! cooling. Everything I do makes it worse. :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

CAEdevice

I apologize if you get bored with another question about the submission procedure.

If I want to race with the same car that I used in Singapore (CAEdevice_Race02_Submission02.zip) it means that I just have to do nothing? If so I confirm that LDVH can use the same numbers of Singapore.

wb92

jjn9128 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 15:12
https://media3.giphy.com/media/h36vh423PiV9K/giphy.gif
Me right now with this #$@&%*! cooling. Everything I do makes it worse. :lol:
I can feel you. I'm the same with the balance...

Alonso Fan wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 17:43
wb92 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 22:28
There's plenty of interesting stuff going on there while I was forcing my car's rear to work finally... I need an elephant on the rear axle to find the balance if anyone is interested 'how it's going' ;)

If you do find one, let me know if he has an older brother...

Oh my four days to go... Better get ringing around then haha
I wouldn't let this elephants to walk on the car... they like front much more than the rear... maybe because of that long nose ;)
LVDH wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 11:28
It was supposed to be a surprise, but yes, we would like to have the new rules already for next year.
Keep in mind though that organizing this takes a lot of time. This is why this season started so late and the races are so tightly packed. The priority for next year will be to stretch everything much better out. So I hope Richard and I do not have to takes months of rest after the season. And also we have to see if something gets published by the FIA because we do not want to guess some rules.
Sorry for destroying the surprise, although it seemed logical to move on such set of rules. Who knows, maybe we would see some (copied) solutions from MVRC on 2021 F1 cars :P
MVRC - WBRacing

jjn9128

wb92 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 18:08
I'm so far from caring about balance :lol: Just getting above 75-80% power would be an achievement atm.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

wb92

Okay, the car is submitted.
With a bit of luck in balance let's see if the car is able to fight for podiums, but I expect tight competition.
Finally my laptop will get bit of rest.
jjn9128 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 20:04
wb92 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 18:08
I'm so far from caring about balance :lol: Just getting above 75-80% power would be an achievement atm.
Hmm... maybe your cooling is too small in any aspect?
MVRC - WBRacing

rjsa
rjsa

That's a new one. Left a long run overnight and it stopped at 1922. Was looking searching what had crashed to find out the following "Simple solution CONVERGED"

That's a first for me.

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 10:39
That's a new one. Left a long run overnight and it stopped at 1922. Was looking searching what had crashed to find out the following "Simple solution CONVERGED"

That's a first for me.
Ah, this is bad. This is a problem I have been facing with some cars now. To speed up simulations, they can stop when they think they are converged. However this now happening to your cars while the first order (low accuracy) schemes are still on. So if it stops before 2000 iterations, it stopped too early. I will think about a fix for this. For now, I suggest, you go to the fUpdate file on Linux or the sysCall file on Windows in the system folder of the case. There you can change the lines with the 2000 to something like 500. Fixing this in MFlow is easy, so I will do that very soon. I have no idea why this is suddenly affecting multiple cars. This code has been there for over a year, maybe even two.

Also please take care to download your reports. I have to delete them in a few hours to have enough space for the car submissions.

jjn9128

wb92 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 23:18
I tell you I've tried laying the rads down, standing the rads up, big inlets, big outlets...even bigger inlets and outlets :lol: and the difference is almost nothing. I just gain drag and lose performance on the rest of the car. I'm just going to have to enter what I have and hope the official result is better.
#aerogandalf

rjsa
rjsa

That’s when it changes modes?

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 13:02
That’s when it changes modes?
Yes after 40% of max iterations it switches. So in long mode it is at 0.4*5000 = 2000 iterations. I will make sure the early stop cannot happen anymore in this inaccurate initialization phase in the next MFlow release. It is funny that this never happened before and now we are at three cars. I always had a feeling that on cars with good enough stl quality, the simulations tend to be a bit unstable when the floor is working very hard. Now seeing this, possibly indicates that you are getting there with the F1 floors.

Thomas2019
Thomas2019

LVDH wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 14:16
I will make sure the early stop cannot happen anymore in this inaccurate initialization phase in the next MFlow release.
Lowering or set to zero the residual control.

In other news, I have new car. And finally I have plenty of cooling and the balance correct, but L/D is *drumroll* 1 !!

jjn9128

Thomas2019 wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 15:47
LVDH wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 14:16
I will make sure the early stop cannot happen anymore in this inaccurate initialization phase in the next MFlow release.
Lowering or set to zero the residual control.

In other news, I have new car. And finally I have plenty of cooling and the balance correct, but L/D is *drumroll* 1 !!
If you have cooling fixed you'll be faster than most of the field. The penalty for poor cooling is so much worse than balance or total downforce.
#aerogandalf

Thomas2019
Thomas2019

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 15:49
If you have cooling fixed you'll be faster than most of the field. The penalty for poor cooling is so much worse than balance or total downforce.
Currently 113% cooling. Have to convert this into lift. These results are not with the MFlow software so I will leave a margin.

Thomas

Alonso Fan

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 12:44
wb92 wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 23:18
I tell you I've tried laying the rads down, standing the rads up, big inlets, big outlets...even bigger inlets and outlets :lol: and the difference is almost nothing. I just gain drag and lose performance on the rest of the car. I'm just going to have to enter what I have and hope the official result is better.
45 degrees and higher (to the reference plane) is where its at for cooling. Any less and its detrimental.

Also make sure you have 18000 or more hx area. You'll need a fairly large opening. My opening covers about 60% of the hx if projected back along the x axis. I do get around 4.6 in total volume flow rate, so am working to reduce the size of the inlet and increase undercut.

Not sure what software you're using, but a smooth duct is also better

Also I have a super unconventional cooling exit(s). That ensures I get absolutely no flow restriction
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa