2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

It’s going to be all about fuel consumption, can they keep it reasonable turned up in the race, can they avoid too many penalties. Being the 5th best team would be a huge win for Honda and str.

Webber2011
Webber2011

Sayeman wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:40
Webber2011 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:17
Sayeman wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 08:49
Podium is very unlikely this year. I say they will be around 9-10th place at the start of the season. If things go well, they will be fighting with williams and force india at the end of the year.

Torro-rosso is not the priority for Honda remember, they are not targeting podiums.
That's quite laughable 😂

Do you honestly think they are not targeting the highest position possible because "Torro Rosso are not the priority" 😯

I can just imagine Honda thinking along the lines of........
It's only Torro Rosso, let's aim for 10th.

What on earth do you base this on ? ? ?
Honda's aim is to improve the PU as much as they can and get the RedBull deal. Sure who wouldn't take a podium, but Honda won't be going gung-ho to get a podium with Torro-Rosso. Nor should we expect them to get podiums in normal conditions. No need to set ourself for disappointment for another year. Last 3 years have been disappointing enough for me. Hasn't been a easy time for a Honda fan like myself. Fed up with huge promises and zero results.
Yeah, ok mate.
Sorry, I may have read your post the wrong way.

My apologies, I'm a Honda fan too :wink:

But I still think Torro Rosso are absolutely the priority for Honda right at the moment.

If they can't achieve a great step forwards, and at the very minimum compete with, (and on occasion even beat), the Renault powered cars, then there will be no Red Bull Honda deal.
(Unless of course Red Bull are forced into a corner, and Honda is the only power unit manufacturer left for them to choose from ?)

I understand the pain you're feeling from the undelivered promises.
It's been so frustrating to me as well.
There's many reasons for that though, and they are well documented in the media and indeed on this very forum.

From starting too late, underestimating certain aspects, initial wrong design, token restrictions, corrosive relationship with McLaren, (dare I mention the phrase "size zero" :lol: ), new pu layout seeming good on the dyno but rubbish on the track..........
I could go on and on and on............they've had a very hard time delivering, and yes, it's been such a shame.

Honda may just have finally turned a corner though, and I do believe they will be targeting the odd podium in 2018.
If they weren't, then what's the point of racing ?

If it's possible remains to be seen, and it will be a big task.

I don't expect them to aim for this in the first half of the season because they have publicly stated reliability is first and foremost.
But I'd be amazed if they don't aim for podiums once the mid season upgrade is introduced :wink:

I'll raise a beer with you when they come 2nd in Melbourne :lol:

Sayeman

Webber2011 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 11:29
Sayeman wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:40
Webber2011 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:17

That's quite laughable 😂

Do you honestly think they are not targeting the highest position possible because "Torro Rosso are not the priority" 😯

I can just imagine Honda thinking along the lines of........
It's only Torro Rosso, let's aim for 10th.

What on earth do you base this on ? ? ?
Honda's aim is to improve the PU as much as they can and get the RedBull deal. Sure who wouldn't take a podium, but Honda won't be going gung-ho to get a podium with Torro-Rosso. Nor should we expect them to get podiums in normal conditions. No need to set ourself for disappointment for another year. Last 3 years have been disappointing enough for me. Hasn't been a easy time for a Honda fan like myself. Fed up with huge promises and zero results.
Yeah, ok mate.
Sorry, I may have read your post the wrong way.

My apologies, I'm a Honda fan too :wink:

But I still think Torro Rosso are absolutely the priority for Honda right at the moment.

If they can't achieve a great step forwards, and at the very minimum compete with, (and on occasion even beat), the Renault powered cars, then there will be no Red Bull Honda deal.
(Unless of course Red Bull are forced into a corner, and Honda is the only power unit manufacturer left for them to choose from ?)

I understand the pain you're feeling from the undelivered promises.
It's been so frustrating to me as well.
There's many reasons for that though, and they are well documented in the media and indeed on this very forum.

From starting too late, underestimating certain aspects, initial wrong design, token restrictions, corrosive relationship with McLaren, (dare I mention the phrase "size zero" :lol: ), new pu layout seeming good on the dyno but rubbish on the track..........
I could go on and on and on............they've had a very hard time delivering, and yes, it's been such a shame.

Honda may just have finally turned a corner though, and I do believe they will be targeting the odd podium in 2018.
If they weren't, then what's the point of racing ?

If it's possible remains to be seen, and it will be a big task.

I don't expect them to aim for this in the first half of the season because they have publicly stated reliability is first and foremost.
But I'd be amazed if they don't aim for podiums once the mid season upgrade is introduced :wink:

I'll raise a beer with you when they come 2nd in Melbourne :lol:
lol..cool.
Never Give up.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Singabule
Singabule

GhostF1 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 13:13
Had to share for the laughs.

https://twitter.com/ToroRosso/status/97 ... 06560?s=19
Bwahahahahahahaha.. Sorry, could not resist :lol:

FWIW STR claim it's a typo

[media]https://twitter.com/ToroRosso/status/970933349752729601[/media]

Of course no McLaren fans are buying it lol

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

This is starting to look pretty impressive by STR and Honda.

GhostF1
GhostF1

1158 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 13:21
FWIW STR claim it's a typo

https://twitter.com/ToroRosso/status/970933349752729601

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 1307468855

Of course no McLaren fans are buying it lol
It's definitely an intentional cheeky stab. McLaren replied with "Woking" and an orange love heart. TR replied with "we hear it's lovely". The Mercedes commented with a cheeky laughing emoji.

It's a bit of light hearted fun in an all too serious world.

But to be honest. STR are looking really good. Second test debut has gone very well

GhostF1 wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 13:35

It's definitely an intentional cheeky stab. McLaren replied with "Woking" and an orange love heart. TR replied with "we hear it's lovely". The Mercedes commented with a cheeky laughing emoji.

It's a bit of light hearted fun in an all too serious world.

But to be honest. STR are looking really good. Second test debut has gone very well
Oh I know. I wasn't really buying it either. Hopefully its just a stupid, simple issue for McLaren and they are ready to pound out the laps in the afternoon. I want to see McLaren and RB go head to head this year for sure.

I agree. Cautiously optimistic for STR this year. Hoping later in the season they can be pushing to make Q3 and giving the top of the mid field trouble from time to time.

dren

I wouldn't be surprised if they are closer to that now than you think.
Honda!

dren wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 14:37
I wouldn't be surprised if they are closer to that now than you think.
Well that is the grounded, skeptical side of me. I'm keeping my gut feelings in check for now.

techman
techman

wow.
str is pretty decent . i think they still havent tested any new updates yet. so more to come . nice

godlameroso

Only 54 laps, they should have cleared the century mark already
Saishū kōnā

restless
restless

Gasly goes in and out but not much laps ...

FYI
Driver changes

As Stoffel Vandoorne heads back in, we take a look at the teams who put other drivers in for this afternoon session. Lewis Hamilton gets in at Mercedes, Carlos Sainz will be driving for Renault, Lance Stroll is taking over from Sergey Sirotkin at Williams and we've heard that Toro Rosso is planning to run Brendon Hartley as well.