2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Honda is the only way for Mclaren to win.
If Mclaren go Renault
And If renault somehow make the best engine next year Max & Danny battle for the title and Hulk bags many podiums battling Alonso.

If they stay Honda
And If Honda somehow make the best engine Fernando wins the title and Vandoorne bags a few wins.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

loner

the situation needs a poll :mrgreen:
para bellum.

ZakB
ZakB

I'm sure McLaren will win in 2020 with spec 50.3.

Fool me once, shame on Honda; fool me twice, shame on McLaren.

Vote here -> http://www.strawpoll.me/13840205

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Marti_EF3 wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 22:59
Yeah, and Renault simply by workign on a new 2018 engine it will be a beast that could beat Ferrari and Mercedes. That`s the same dream as saying Honda will catch Mercedes PU next year... No guarantees with Renault going on a new design for 2018, and you want to be a customer instead a works team... no way it's gona be a good decision... But anyway, if McLaren switch to Renault next year, they will eat their own crap if the Honda PU becomes competitve and RBR get it without pain for 2019. That will be a big LOL
McLaren don't really have a choice but to stick with Honda at this point if they want the benefits of a works deal. Renault PU's might improve the performance, but it will get them no closer to winning titles. The danger for McLaren is they ditch Honda, Honda partners with TR and Honda sorts it's problems out, Red Bull gets Honda in 2019 and can challenge Mercedes and Ferrari. While McLaren ends up like Williams.

It seems like a whole lot of bluster is coming from McLaren's management over axing the Honda deal. But we shall see soon enough.

Joseki
Joseki

My personal opinion is that next year McLaren and Toro Rosso will have the same gearbox and engine.
Toro Rosso was "offered" from Red Bull, McLaren won't be let go by Honda.

Fernando will wait until the season ends before making a choice.

If the 2018 Honda engine is competitive then the marriage is saved, if not then it's Renault.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

Soichiro
Soichiro

Joseki wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 01:29
My personal opinion is that next year McLaren and Toro Rosso will have the same gearbox and engine.
Toro Rosso was "offered" from Red Bull, McLaren won't be let go by Honda.

Fernando will wait until the season ends before making a choice.

If the 2018 Honda engine is competitive then the marriage is saved, if not then it's Renault.
That would pretty much sum my thoughts on the situation too.

a1b2i3r45

taperoo2k wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 00:15
Marti_EF3 wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 22:59
Yeah, and Renault simply by workign on a new 2018 engine it will be a beast that could beat Ferrari and Mercedes. That`s the same dream as saying Honda will catch Mercedes PU next year... No guarantees with Renault going on a new design for 2018, and you want to be a customer instead a works team... no way it's gona be a good decision... But anyway, if McLaren switch to Renault next year, they will eat their own crap if the Honda PU becomes competitve and RBR get it without pain for 2019. That will be a big LOL
McLaren don't really have a choice but to stick with Honda at this point if they want the benefits of a works deal. Renault PU's might improve the performance, but it will get them no closer to winning titles. The danger for McLaren is they ditch Honda, Honda partners with TR and Honda sorts it's problems out, Red Bull gets Honda in 2019 and can challenge Mercedes and Ferrari. While McLaren ends up like Williams.

It seems like a whole lot of bluster is coming from McLaren's management over axing the Honda deal. But we shall see soon enough.
I think Mclaren will keep an option to go back to Honda, in case Honda becomes competitive.

ZakB
ZakB

Brown suggested that they could develop their own engine when the new engines come in place. So Renault is mostly short term and they have to decide if Honda is capable of getting on the same level of the Renaults in 2018, which seems like a difficult task. People also shouldn't forget that Renault is expecting to make a mega jump in 2018, which is why they haven't introduced any updates this year. I understand you can doubt those comments, but you could say the same about Honda.

mclaren111

Zak Brown:
"It's a big decision that has lots of elements to it, and economics are one. Fortunately we have extremely committed shareholders that we can make a sporting decision and deal with the economics. We're not financially challenged, so we can navigate any financial situation.
"We're going to sit down next week with guys that are much smarter on power units than myself and take a view on what we see Honda's plans are, what they have accomplished.
"Whatever we do is going to have an element of risk associated with it, but that's Formula 1," he admitted. "Right now we've got pen to paper on our 2018 chassis, but you can only go so far without knowing what power unit you'll have in the back of it."
Honda is the only option. Can't believe they would think about Renault PU's for even one second.

Idiotic in my view :o :( :o

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

You know, all of this talking about Renault becoming a Mclaren supplier is imho still the complete wrong interpretation of the conversations going on.
There are some things to concider first to get a better view on the situation.

Honda is limited by the fact they have only Mclaren to supply and can't really test or try stuff and get only information from Mclaren, a relationship that also isn't on the best anymore by now.
If Honda would supply another team, then that would be twice as much data, twice as much testing possibilities, and perhaps even twice the development rate.

Toro Rosso, as part of RedBull, then however probably doesn't want to be the guinea pig for Mclaren, and get bad results and bad exposure. So Honda offers them to take over the team, but then you get to the part where RB wants Toro Rosso as a 'step up' team for their mothership team RBR.

So Mclaren is part of the conversation since it is in Mclaren's benefit to have another team supplied by Mclaren, and the potential of a partnership between Toro Rosso and Mclaren.
Toro Rosso however is supplied by Renault, so Renault now wants to have conversations on that matter. Offcourse there are potential conversations about Mclaren getting Renault engines, as that option opens up when Renault has a team less to supply.

The problem with this all however is that Renault makes no real sense to supply Mclaren with engines but as a band-aid.
Verstappen has had more than half the season a DNF thanks to issues. Renault does not have an engine powerful enough to have RBR battle for the WDC. Renault has their own works team which they want to win races and a WDC/WCC with. That means Mclaren and RBR are competition in their own field.

You can rather doubt whether the Renault engine is able to get Mclaren a win or podium finish. A top 6 yes, but winning? Offcourse a top 6 is better than what Mclaren has now, but it's never going to change for them. So they'd be a customer team, and are back to square one like they were years ago with Mercedes, whilst Mercedes WOULD have given them podium finishes anyway, it is still the best engine out there.

the ONLY benefit from going to Honda is that the reliability improves by a huge margin. But apart from that?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

namao
namao

At this moment, McLaren F1 Team needs to think long term about the situation of their own finances. If they drop Honda that will be a nightmare for the financial health of the team: no sponsors and no incomes from Honda (famous figure 100M€/year), the only income would be (apart from minor sponsors and merchandising) from the Formula One Management revenues that, according to estimates*, this year would be about $97m. If they switch engines with Renault they have to pay for the engines, a huge fine for breaking contract with Honda and the rest of expenses (drivers salaries, engenieers, etc.)

At this moment the best option for McLaren is Honda and trying to get the deal ToroRosso-Honda done for 2018 and beyond; the engine development would improve a lot. Renault is not the solution.

*Estimation based on:
1. Team's classification over two of the past three years.
2. Payments are based solely on a team's 2016 classification
3. Long-standing team
4. Constructors' championship bonus

proteus

namao wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 13:22
At this moment, McLaren F1 Team needs to think long term about the situation of their own finances. If they drop Honda that will be a nightmare for the financial health of the team: no sponsors and no incomes from Honda (famous figure 100M€/year), the only income would be (apart from minor sponsors and merchandising) from the Formula One Management revenues that, according to estimates*, this year would be about $97m. If they switch engines with Renault they have to pay for the engines, a huge fine for breaking contract with Honda and the rest of expenses (drivers salaries, engenieers, etc.)

At this moment the best option for McLaren is Honda and trying to get the deal ToroRosso-Honda done for 2018 and beyond; the engine development would improve a lot. Renault is not the solution.

*Estimation based on:
3. Long-standing team
U clearly forgot that they are owned by Oijey and arab consortium with plenty of money to spend, those "minor" sponsors you are reffering to are also paying quite high sums of money, Chandon for instance probably pays as much as the title sponsor of Williams does (Martini).

Budget of the team is arround 300 - 400mil a year, so even with Honda money pouring in (100 - 150mil), they are able to get 200 - 250mil on their own, when Alonso retires they will have even more money to use on themself.

In my understanding they would not need to pay no fine to Honda, i even red that Honda would need to pay 200mil to Mclaren if that happens, since they didnt deliver what they promised.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

FrukostScones

McLaren gambles on FIA lot decision will give them Mercedes or Ferrari PU, because Honda has to quit (because it was divorced by McLaren). :mrgreen:

Renault PU swap with TR is just a RedHerring. :wink: (IMO)

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 03730.html
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

namao
namao

proteus wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 13:33
namao wrote:

*Estimation based on:
3. Long-standing team
U clearly forgot that they are owned by Oijey and arab consortium with plenty of money to spend, those "minor" sponsors you are reffering to are also paying quite high sums of money, Chandon for instance probably pays as much as the title sponsor of Williams does (Martini).

Budget of the team is arround 300 - 400mil a year, so even with Honda money pouring in (100 - 150mil), they are able to get 200 - 250mil on their own, when Alonso retires they will have even more money to use on themself.

In my understanding they would not need to pay no fine to Honda, i even red that Honda would need to pay 200mil to Mclaren if that happens, since they didnt deliver what they promised.
I talked about McLaren F1 Team, not McLaren Technology Group.

proteus

namao wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 14:11
proteus wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 13:33
namao wrote:

*Estimation based on:
3. Long-standing team

I talked about McLaren F1 Team, not McLaren Technology Group.
The Mclaren F1 team is owned by Oijey and arab consortium as well.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows