2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Hmmmmm

wowgr8
wowgr8

JPBD1990 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 13:41

Hmmmmm
That is incredibly feisty and goes against what his own drivers are saying. I'm praying he's right. Nobody wants another runaway Verstappen win for a season opener.

Xyz22
Xyz22

JPBD1990 wrote:

Hmmmmm
Would be amazing !

wowgr8
wowgr8

Xyz22 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 13:44

I didn't link it because it's written in italian.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqaID7oWAAI ... name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqaID7lX0AA ... ame=medium

"Leclerc has changed his driving style. Remember last year's Trail Braking? FORGET IT! Both in comparison to Sainz and Verstappen, it can be seen how Charles anticipates the braking point, which leads him with a lower speed at the apex of the corner <- white arrows.

The green arrows instead highlight how an early braking allows Leclerc to be ahead every 3/4 of a stretch and with higher top speeds at the end of the straights.

This allows him to minimize the shortcomings of the SF-23: understeer with consequent tire degradation."
Thank you. I remember in Austria last year he said he made a breakthrough with his driving style that meant he could preserve the tyres better. Would suck if that was down the drain and he had to start anew.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Another 2022 vs 2023 comp from Federico Albano
"Comparing the data from the F1-75 and the SF23, we find opposite results, but in this case, the reasons can be traced back to the practically mandatory setup of the Maranello team, rather than a reversal of the design trend. We know that the weak front end of the new Ferrari has forced engineers to approach this first race with a significantly skinny ear wing to achieve an acceptable balance, which is the exact opposite of what we saw last season, with the F1-75 starting the season with high downforce approaches, leveraging the horsepower of the engine to not lose too much speed on straights."
"The difference is evident, with Leclerc hitting 325 km/h in his last attempt compared to 318 km/h last year, but in previous laps, he had reached 327 km/h. Compared to Red Bull, the improvement in cornering is significant only in turn 11, where the new construction of Pirelli's front tires probably guarantees a significant jump in performance. The corner, already full of delivery, appears even "fatter" this year, ensuring an improvement of almost three-tenths of a second in the first sector. However, the advance stops in the middle sector, with a time improvement of just 88 milliseconds, which, without the turn 11 jump, would have been comparable if not worse. The best performance in turn 12 and, above all, the great progression towards turn 14, lowers the lap time by another two-tenths, but the understeer and lack of downforce of the SF23 are felt even in the last corner, with an improvement in lap time that stops at just over half a second."
"Ferrari confirms that it is currently racing almost "unnaturally" to compensate for the balance problems, while working hard to solve the problem and finally put a more suitable vertical load on the car. On the other hand, the work done to find balance even in lower load conditions, not always approachable in the previous season, and an aerodynamic efficiency that appears much improved even beyond the reduced incidence of the wings, is confirmed."

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Jock Clear has come out pretty punchy pre-race, unexpectedly. Everyone else thus far has been tempering expectations. Fred was more cryptic but he also sounded more positive than the drivers after Quali

bagajohny
bagajohny

dialtone wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 07:10
Xyz22 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 04:31
I saw an interesting tweet on my timeline. A screen from an user on IG which is making analysis on telemetry. He is saying that Charles has completely changed his driving style to adapt to the SF 23.. Specifically, according to him, he is not trail braking any more in the corners, and he is braking much earlier overall, having a lower minimum speed in the entry of the corners to minimize understeering, getting better traction and thus achieving a better top speed in the straights. According to him, it's possible to see this even compared to Sainz.

Dialtone could you confirm this is true? You're the only one i trust regarding telemetry analysis : )
lmao, thanks for the confidence :).

https://i.imgur.com/atgRJZT.jpeg

2022 LEC Q v 2023 LEC Q

* Yeah I think it's a valid observation, this year LEC's braking is more on/off with the throttle, while last year he would get on the brakes but stay on the throttle during corner entry, see T1 red throttle trace gets to 0 very close to the apex. Approach to T1 is completely different compared to last year, it's worse IMHO as he loses almost 0.2s just in T1, but it's different, he brakes early and takes it almost like a V corner, I think VER has this style a bit more than LEC.
* Another curious corner is T11 (3400m) where LEC last year would quickly get on the throttle to force the car to steer through the corner almost immediately after releasing the throttle, this year he did the same but not as aggressively.
* At 900m (right after the first corner) you can really see the insane improvement in acceleration thanks to engine being full beans (it wasn't full beans last year here yet), and the new aero package, LEC comes out of T1 worse than in 2022 by some margin and is 7kph slower at the apex there, and yet once he turns the car, matches the F1-75, on the early part of traction they are together, then the SF-23 just takes off from 120kph to 240kph that acceleration curve is a massive improvement.
* Even with the smaller wing, at T5-6-7 the car matches the one from last year perfectly, in fact even gains a little bit in those 3 corners, sign that it's true they managed to get more downforce out of the car even with the smaller wing and aero efficiency.

All in all the instagram post is correct, so tip of the hat for noticing this in the telemetry to whoever was on IG. I would also observe however that this could be due to the balance issues, but it could also help preserve the rear tires at the same time.
Is it possible for casual fans to be able to read these things from the graphs? or do you have to have working experience in motorsport to be able to tell these things?
I would like to know if there is any beginner's guide for reading these graphs.

wowgr8
wowgr8

bagajohny wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 14:29
Is it possible for casual fans to be able to read these things from the graphs? or do you have to have working experience in motorsport to be able to tell these things?
I would like to know if there is any beginner's guide for reading these graphs.
https://twitter.com/F1DataAnalysis posts these sort of graphs and explains what they mean, there are other accounts like this but I can't think of them right now.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Xyz22 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 14:13
Another 2022 vs 2023 comp from Federico Albano
"Comparing the data from the F1-75 and the SF23, we find opposite results, but in this case, the reasons can be traced back to the practically mandatory setup of the Maranello team, rather than a reversal of the design trend. We know that the weak front end of the new Ferrari has forced engineers to approach this first race with a significantly skinny ear wing to achieve an acceptable balance, which is the exact opposite of what we saw last season, with the F1-75 starting the season with high downforce approaches, leveraging the horsepower of the engine to not lose too much speed on straights."
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqcXI7KWwAE ... =4096x4096

I miss the 2022 car's cornering/braking/kerb riding superiority so much. That car deserved better. The aero/chassis department delivered a title winning car.

Sevach
Sevach

jumpingfish wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 14:01
bagajohny wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 13:43
Last year if I remember correctly RB had 10kmph advantage over Ferrari in straight line. Now I know part of it was due to ferrari turning down the engine. But what I want to ask is the 4kmph advantage that SF23 has over RB19 is how much significant? When comparing the top speeds of different cars how much advantage is
  1. not significant (will not help in overtaking)
  2. significant (will definitely help in overtaking)
  3. more than significant (which will help in overtaking even without DRS)
I would like to know some approx numbers please.
4km/h at the end of the straight line doesn't look so significant
If a Ferrari finds itself in a position to overtake a Red Bull the difference won't be 4 KM/H, the car infront will probably have DRS closed leading to way larger gap.

Last year the issue(before this wing that Ferrari is using for today) was that Ferrari even with DRS open wasn't that much faster than a closed DRS RB18, and when Red Bull had DRS, they would catch the Ferrari even from distances that normally one would think "let's prepare for the next lap".

kediown

Juzh

leclerc q3 lap 1.30.000
https://streamable.com/do2gf6

last corner was immense, 129 km/h minimum speed is highest that I've seen (purple mini sector as well). Doesn't even run wide like alonso who similarly tres to throw the car in, but it wont stick.

arees83
arees83

Leclerc's Energy store is being replaced before the race. I wonder why.

Vanja #66

To get their hands on the car to make some setup changes for the race :mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f1316
f1316

Xyz22 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 14:02
JPBD1990 wrote:

Hmmmmm
Would be amazing !
This is what I’m saying. Not that they’re necessarily going to win but deep down I don’t think they believe they can’t fight. I’m quite sure the approach this year is essentially: we may end up second and, if that comes when nobody expected anything it’ll seem like an achievement vs if we said we were going to win and it’ll be a disappointment.