2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dr.mclaren
Dr.mclaren

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 13:45
Dr.mclaren wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 13:37
Every team is improving and mclaren is retreating!
Oh boy, please keep this thoughts to yourself.
That's the reality. They'll be so lucky if they got 1 car into Q2!

search

any idea if Vandoorne has any of those front wings left, or does he have to go back to an older specification?

Darth-Piekus

Ok that is seriously not funny anymore. What the hell is going on. How are they able to go backwards with the updates instead of forwards? At this point we could gather more points with the first car that we brought in Australia.

Are the updates not working unless they change the whole car? Is that the case?

Sayeman

techman wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 08:19
i had a debate with Andrew Benson last year. A twitter war of words. if you want i can post it here. i was arguing with him saying that mclaren are running heavy drag and not all honda faults. and he was so convinced mclaren had a chassis as good as the redbull according to his source(Mclaren PR people). Funny enough he did finally say that I was right when he tweeted me back this year when i again tweeted him and questioned him.
I don't think Andrew was the only guy to be convinced by Mclaren that they have a very very good chassis. As a result quite a few people are shocked with their performance this year.

Honda PU was legitimately slow but it was also hiding some of the chassis deficiencies too. I heard a lot of time that Honda's poor drivability is reason behind the unstable corner exit, which has proven to be false at TR this year. I am sure some here will know more than me, I am no expert.

Since Mclaren is a customer team now, they wont be getting enough attention from Renault, so things like proper PU integration will take more time, while TR people are getting invited to Japan to take part in every decision making.

All in all, the decision to switch PU and lose over $100 million is looking disastrous so far.
Never Give up.

diffuser

Dr.mclaren wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 13:57
diffuser wrote:
Dr.mclaren wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 13:37
Every team is improving and mclaren is retreating!
it has nothing to do with being right or wrong just isn't very insightful. rather boring.

why don't you just say "The sky is blue!"

McL-H
McL-H

diffuser wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 15:27
Dr.mclaren wrote:
diffuser wrote:

it has nothing to do with being right or wrong just isn't very insightful. rather boring.

If you can’t stand reality, head to Wonderland. McLaren is showing negative performance and thus they receive negative comments. If we are no longer allowed to discuss reality, then better close the entire forums.

diffuser

McL-H wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 15:39
diffuser wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 15:27
Dr.mclaren wrote:

If you can’t stand reality, head to Wonderland. McLaren is showing negative performance and thus they receive negative comments. If we are no longer allowed to discuss reality, then better close the entire forums.
Have you read the forum? Have you seen how many times that already been said in the last week alone ?

What value do we get by it being said for the 1001st time ?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Fernando must have new bits on his car, too bad about the mistake on his final run, could have been close to the top 10.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

I don't think either of the cars have new bits on. They tested a bunch of parts that weren't race quality parts to ensure they correlated with the wind tunnel. The expectation is that those parts will show up for Hungry.

Bill
Bill

I wonder what Fernando can do with that haas

Alonso Fan

Shame about the mistake. He ran wide in the last two turns. Would be nice to know what his first two sector times were
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 16:16
I don't think either of the cars have new bits on. They tested a bunch of parts that weren't race quality parts to ensure they correlated with the wind tunnel. The expectation is that those parts will show up for Hungry.
I heard that too, but I guess I'm looking for an excuse for Stoffel. He needs to do more, the qualy table doesn't make for encouraging reading. Just this week, I think it was Ed Straw on motorsport.com trying to convince us that there's a clone of Seb Vettel in him somewhere. Or could the car development be moving further and further away from his liking?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM
PhillipM

I just don't think he's anything special, he's shown no flashes of speed at all, his racecraft isn't great, he's no flair for defensive driving, and he's not fast in the wet. He needs to come good this year or I'd be looking for someone else to take that seat.

Redragon

Alonso to Renault next year, you hear here first

PinkFloydPulse

Redragon wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 16:49
Alonso to Renault next year, you hear here first
Teaming up with Sainz or Hulkenberg? :)

Alonso to Indy next year... You hear here a millionth time
Team Fernando!