2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ringo

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Cs98 wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 13:32
wowgr8 wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 10:02
Cassius wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 09:32
Sainz is almost never faster in the race than Leclerc. Hamilton is still faster than Russell on race pace. His qualifying performance is hurting him.

Hamilton is the better racer and also superior from a marketing perspective.
But do we need a driver that's faster than Leclerc? Red Bull don't need a driver that's faster than Max. Two very fast drivers is great in midfield where the team comes first, not at the sharp end where it's about wins and titles. Marketing wise? Awesome! Sporting wise I think keeping Sainz would've been the FAR better decision. It's a shame just when the team looks like it's headed in the right direction the higher ups have to meddle with things and potentially shatter the team harmony that's been built.
But it will be oh so entertaining to watch. For the racing, for the drama, for the reactions on forums and socials :lol:
Ferrari don't really have a good wet weather driver now. Hamilton will add to that arsenal.
There a lot of performance benefits Hamilton will add. A winning mentality, also a more team cheerleader vibe.
Sainz is on the selfish side, and Leclerc is a team player, but he can be depressing at times and does blame the team when things goes wrong. Hamilton is a psychological boost for the team. And we will see this lacking next year in Mercedes when they will have Geoge and Driver X. The wind in the sails will blow in Maranello.

Watching Canada's race, the result did not have to be so bad. Apart from leclerc's engine issues, it was all down to psychology. The shock of the car not being as good as it was before was the cause for all the mayhem that ensued.

As for the competitive order, I fear Mercedes is a thorn in the side of Ferrari. They are a distant 4th in the Championship and them taking off points off Ferrari will barely help them compared to how it will help Redbull retain the constructors. Ferrari need another boost from upgrades and a refocus on weekend management.
For Sure!!

Cs98
Cs98

ringo wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 15:42
Cs98 wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 13:32
wowgr8 wrote:

But do we need a driver that's faster than Leclerc? Red Bull don't need a driver that's faster than Max. Two very fast drivers is great in midfield where the team comes first, not at the sharp end where it's about wins and titles. Marketing wise? Awesome! Sporting wise I think keeping Sainz would've been the FAR better decision. It's a shame just when the team looks like it's headed in the right direction the higher ups have to meddle with things and potentially shatter the team harmony that's been built.
But it will be oh so entertaining to watch. For the racing, for the drama, for the reactions on forums and socials :lol:
Ferrari don't really have a good wet weather driver now. Hamilton will add to that arsenal.
There a lot of performance benefits Hamilton will add. A winning mentality, also a more team cheerleader vibe.
Sainz is on the selfish side, and Leclerc is a team player, but he can be depressing at times and does blame the team when things goes wrong. Hamilton is a psychological boost for the team. And we will see this lacking next year in Mercedes when they will have Geoge and Driver X. The wind in the sails will blow in Maranello.

Watching Canada's race, the result did not have to be so bad. Apart from leclerc's engine issues, it was all down to psychology. The shock of the car not being as good as it was before was the cause for all the mayhem that ensued.

As for the competitive order, I fear Mercedes is a thorn in the side of Ferrari. They are a distant 4th in the Championship and them taking off points off Ferrari will barely help them compared to how it will help Redbull retain the constructors. Ferrari need another boost from upgrades and a refocus on weekend management.
He can be a team boost, if you get the positive version of him that is performing on track. But he can also be quite a downer when he is struggling, as we are seeing at Merc currently. Then it can become a toxic influence instead. But that's the intriguing bit and why I am looking forward to next year in terms of the off-track just as much as the on-track.

RonMexico
RonMexico

Has any other driver ever released confidential telemetry data?

I think it's fair to say he will have an adjustment period and historically Ferrari have been extremely protective of the brand. Not sure how much leeway is afforded to drivers who criticise the team

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Xyz22 wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 11:12
https://x.com/GiulyDuchessa/status/1800815727735341075

The article pretty much confirms that the SF 24 is significantly limited in specific scenarios (low temperature, track layout that doesn't help with tyre warm up, etc.), which again is to be expected considering they had to completely change the concept of the car compared to the 2023 season.

According to the article the main goal now is to increase DWF which should help with the underlying limitations. In my opinion, they will need a new chassis to fix them completely.
So dont expect any big turnaround, got it.

I'm not saying that sarcastically, just realistically. I'd rather have the truth than get my hopes up too much for something that will never come.

organic

Sounds like Vegas may also be a write-off. C3-C5, stop-go, smooth asphalt, cold

But apart from that can't see any other circuits that will definitely be an issue
Last edited by organic on 12 Jun 2024, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

wowgr8 wrote:
Cassius wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 09:32
Sainz is almost never faster in the race than Leclerc. Hamilton is still faster than Russell on race pace. His qualifying performance is hurting him.

Hamilton is the better racer and also superior from a marketing perspective.
Ferrari dont need Lewis, but the driver situation has no bearing on the most important thing for Ferrari right now - the car.

I've also never felt Leclerc and Sainz had any kind of super harmonious situation anyways. Not to some point that it was a strength for the team anyways. Best you can say is that they aren't openly antagonistic towards each other, but that's a low bar to clear.

The only people the driver situation will be a distraction for is the media and fans.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Seanspeed wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 16:57
Xyz22 wrote:

The article pretty much confirms that the SF 24 is significantly limited in specific scenarios (low temperature, track layout that doesn't help with tyre warm up, etc.), which again is to be expected considering they had to completely change the concept of the car compared to the 2023 season.

According to the article the main goal now is to increase DWF which should help with the underlying limitations. In my opinion, they will need a new chassis to fix them completely.

I'm not saying that sarcastically, just realistically. I'd rather have the truth than get my hopes up too much for something that will never come.
There is no turn around needed. It's already a miracle we have won 2 races after the disaster that was 2023 and second half 2022 which sent Ferrari back 2 years compared to RB and 1 year compared to McL.

franbatista123

organic wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 17:01
Sounds like Vegas may also be a write-off. C3-C5, stop-go, smooth asphalt, cold

But apart from that can't see any other circuits that will definitely be an issue
Maybe, but you also have to factor in that maybe when Vegas comes around the problem might've been mitigated somewhat. Also we're yet to see Ferrari bring a low downforce package this season, the SF23 had a very good one last year.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Xyz22 wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 17:03
Seanspeed wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:

There is no turn around needed. It's already a miracle we have won 2 races after the disaster that was 2023 and second half 2022 which sent Ferrari back 2 years compared to RB and 1 year compared to McL.
We've won one race on merit, and it was at the most non-representative track on the calendar.

The car clearly has weaknesses that will prevent it from fighting for a championship. So yes, there needs to be a turnaround unless fighting for 2nd/3rd in the WCC is the main goal. It sounds like no transformation will happen this year owing to issues being more fundamental in nature. That's fine and mostly what I expected since earlier in the season. But I know lots were getting their hopes up for more this year, and to do so, a transformation of some level was gonna be needed.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Seanspeed wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 17:09
Xyz22 wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 17:03
Seanspeed wrote:

We've won one race on merit, and it was at the most non-representative track on the calendar.

The car clearly has weaknesses that will prevent it from fighting for a championship. So yes, there needs to be a turnaround unless fighting for 2nd/3rd in the WCC is the main goal. It sounds like no transformation will happen this year owing to issues being more fundamental in nature. That's fine and mostly what I expected since earlier in the season. But I know lots were getting their hopes up for more this year, and to do so, a transformation of some level was gonna be needed.
There is no short term "goal". Vasseur has been quite clear. The team must get everything from each weekend without thinking about the WDC or the WCC.
This means doing a better than job than the competition, which has a significant know how advantage and therefore really difficult. Let's see the next few races. The main long term goal is to finish the year with a gap that is possible to recover with a good winter for 2025.

I think we'll end up behind McL. They were just a bit conservative with their launch spec and this is why they made such a huge jump. We need to get the most in the tracks where the SF 24 is quick like we did in Melbourne and Monaco.
Remember that Ferrari was almost 1s slower than McL in real tracks last year like Suzuka, Qatar, etc.

codetower

organic wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 07:14
Lewis' form looks troubling for the next couple of years. Seems to me like he's hit that performance cliff like Seb and others did. Every weekend Sainz seems like the better bet to me and 80 million cheaper
Completely agree. My biggest issue with the Hamilton signing is that Ferrari are signing two drivers with different driving styles. Charles likes a very pointy front with lots of oversteer, while Hamilton likes a more stable rear with a bit of oversteer. This makes the car development much more difficult. It's what we see now with Sainz/Leclerc. Sainz has a similar car preference to Hamilton. When the car is understeery, Sainz can match, and occasionally beat Charles until Charles adapts his style for the car. When the car is more pointy, Charles excels and Carlos falls back about 2 tenths.

Look at RB. Max and Checo have vastly different styles. Difference there is that (aside from Max being much better), Redbull build/develop the car completely for Max. Unless theres a driver with the same style (e.g. Lando/Charles), the #2 will never even come close.

Carlos would do well alongside Hamilton or Alonzo.

codetower

So according to Business F1 Magazine (https://businessf1magazine.com) Adrian Newey has already signed with Ferrari for $105 million over three years. How reliable is this?

Xyz22
Xyz22

codetower wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 18:36
So according to Business F1 Magazine (https://businessf1magazine.com) Adrian Newey has already signed with Ferrari for $105 million over three years. How reliable is this?
Not much. We need to wait for better sources.

Sphere3758
Sphere3758

codetower wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 17:50
organic wrote:
Lewis' form looks troubling for the next couple of years. Seems to me like he's hit that performance cliff like Seb and others did. Every weekend Sainz seems like the better bet to me and 80 million cheaper
Completely agree. My biggest issue with the Hamilton signing is that Ferrari are signing two drivers with different driving styles. Charles likes a very pointy front with lots of oversteer, while Hamilton likes a more stable rear with a bit of oversteer. This makes the car development much more difficult. It's what we see now with Sainz/Leclerc. Sainz has a similar car preference to Hamilton. When the car is understeery, Sainz can match, and occasionally beat Charles until Charles adapts his style for the car. When the car is more pointy, Charles excels and Carlos falls back about 2 tenths.

Look at RB. Max and Checo have vastly different styles. Difference there is that (aside from Max being much better), Redbull build/develop the car completely for Max. Unless theres a driver with the same style (e.g. Lando/Charles), the #2 will never even come close.

Interesting that you mention Lando. I always assumed his preferences were closer to that of Sainz than Charles.

Emag
Emag

Sphere3758 wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 20:19
codetower wrote:
12 Jun 2024, 17:50
organic wrote:

Interesting that you mention Lando. I always assumed his preferences were closer to that of Sainz than Charles.
Noteworthy saying that while Carlos and Lando were teammates at McLaren, they both complained about the car handling in a weird way and none of them liked it, however Carlos was generally more comfortable with it than Lando. How much you can attribute that to experience Carlos had over a rookie Lando at the time, that's hard to tell, but you could partly explain it with them wanting slightly different things from the car.