2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Alonso Fan wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 16:28
Shame about the mistake. He ran wide in the last two turns. Would be nice to know what his first two sector times were
In second sector he was only 0,016 infront of Gasly, he would not reach Q3 either way.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 15:15
Ok that is seriously not funny anymore. What the hell is going on. How are they able to go backwards with the updates instead of forwards? At this point we could gather more points with the first car that we brought in Australia.

Are the updates not working unless they change the whole car? Is that the case?
Something similar to 2014 is happening.

techman
techman

isnt vandorne running the latest MGUK? i thought it was very light and better. alonso is not running the new MGUK i believe

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 16:48
I just don't think he's anything special, he's shown no flashes of speed at all, his racecraft isn't great, he's no flair for defensive driving, and he's not fast in the wet. He needs to come good this year or I'd be looking for someone else to take that seat.
To be fair, he's fast in the wet. It's been noted that his strong point is finding where the grip is. If you remember pre season testing, there was a wet day. He was very impressive and comfortable. Also FP3 in Melbourne started wet and he was as also strong. He's definitely has good qualities, but just not clicking yet.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

proteus

Ground Effect wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 17:09
PhillipM wrote:
I just don't think he's anything special, he's shown no flashes of speed at all, his racecraft isn't great, he's no flair for defensive driving, and he's not fast in the wet. He needs to come good this year or I'd be looking for someone else to take that seat.
To be fair, he's fast in the wet. It's been noted that his strong point is finding where the grip is. If you remember pre season testing, there was a wet day. He was very impressive and comfortable. Also FP3 in Melbourne started wet and he was as also strong. He's definitely has good qualities, but just not clicking yet.
What he primarely needs to shine is a number 1 spot in the team. And ofcourse he needs a good car as well.

diffuser

proteus wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 16:58
Alonso Fan wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 16:28
Shame about the mistake. He ran wide in the last two turns. Would be nice to know what his first two sector times were
In second sector he was only 0,016 infront of Gasly, he would not reach Q3 either way.
agreed...he knew what it needed. I don't think it was a mistake, If the car would have stuck he would have MAYBE made it into Q3 but it didn't stick.

diffuser

techman wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 17:01
isnt vandorne running the latest MGUK? i thought it was very light and better. alonso is not running the new MGUK i believe
In France ALO show'd up never having raced there no simulator work, while Vandoorne did a ton of simulator work and alo was still faster. I don't have to tell anyone it doesn't look good for Stoffel.

Zynerji

diffuser wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 21:07
techman wrote:
In France ALO show'd up never having raced there no simulator work, while Vandoorne did a ton of simulator work and alo was still faster. I don't have to tell anyone it doesn't look good for Stoffel.
Do we know if the driver's share data/ set up? I remember Fernando stopped that with Hamilton in 07, and could see that as part of his contacts since then...

diffuser

proteus wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 19:12
Ground Effect wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 17:09
PhillipM wrote:
What he primarely needs to shine is a number 1 spot in the team. And ofcourse he needs a good car as well.
I think that is one of those things that is overrated. yes, there are drivers that are poor in the wet....Massa was one. In general the top 3 generate more DF than McLaren and therefore it would be very difficult for ALO to make up for that difference with his driving. Besides the only driver that I can think of in the top 3 that isn't good in the rain is RAI.

adrianjordan

Redragon wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 16:49
Alonso to Renault next year, you hear here first
No, it's been suggested in several places several times. Check the silly season thread for starters.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 21:12
diffuser wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 21:07
techman wrote:
Do we know if the driver's share data/ set up? I remember Fernando stopped that with Hamilton in 07, and could see that as part of his contacts since then...
With all the testing ALO did on Friday, pretty sure he had to use Stoffel's data but yeah they do.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 16:33
diffuser wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 16:16
I don't think either of the cars have new bits on. They tested a bunch of parts that weren't race quality parts to ensure they correlated with the wind tunnel. The expectation is that those parts will show up for Hungry.
I heard that too, but I guess I'm looking for an excuse for Stoffel. He needs to do more, the qualy table doesn't make for encouraging reading. Just this week, I think it was Ed Straw on motorsport.com trying to convince us that there's a clone of Seb Vettel in him somewhere. Or could the car development be moving further and further away from his liking?
I'm pretty certain ALo would crush Vettel too.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

techman wrote:
From what I remember he ran it in practice and they had an issue with overheating engine and running lower engine modes. What with being a Renault part and something they've been working on for a long time I wouldn't bank on the fact that it works great or wouldn't throw up a load of issues in terms of cooling, sensors and optimising power usage with it.

It's not like I think Vandoorne has been great this year or anything, but a new part can be faster, it can also end up slower.

McG

I would like to see Waffle leave asap. He's too far behind Alonso.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

techman
techman

I would like to see Waffle leave asap. He's too far behind Alonso.
dont blame vandorne. blame the car, which is terrible. they need to address lot of issues with that car