2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Edax wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 22:25
PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 20:14
Satan reigns in McLaren!

First time goss and now. Boullier is the next scapegoat!

This sort of head rolling would never happen in Ron's days! What sort of tyrany is this?! Firing the guys who do their job with what you give them?
Of course I have only an outside view on Boulliers performance, but I can understand the move.

Boullier has three tasks:
1) maximize the performance of the team with the package that is brought to track.
2) Feedback from trackside to the factory and help steer development.
3) communication to the outside world.

I think on the first part McLaren has dropped the ball a couple of times. 3 is admittedly not his strongest point. Although it is made harder by having a driver who doubles as press officer.

The second part is harder to judge but something is definately going wrong there.

When you have correlation issues you need to get as much feedback and guidance from the field as you can get. You need a strong person to head trackside operations as it now doubles as racing team and development/test center. More so than in teams which can rely on simulators and what not.

If you want to change that dynamic Boulliers role is one to look at.
Zak said that they're not likely gonna replace EB.

The basically got De Ferran as the mouth piece, Stella is probably doing the same work he was doing before. Simon Roberts taking care of the factory. All of them reporting to Zak

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 00:03
adrianjordan wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 23:59
I found Zak admitting that he consulted Alonso in this very interesting as it would hint at Alonso staying on beyond this season, if not as a driver, then as part of the team in some capacity.
Or it hints at Zak not knowing what he wants/needs to do about things? Can you imagine any other team boss saying that about any other driver, including Schumacher?
How did he consult with Alonso if EB resigned? Doesn't matter .....I think you're reading to much into that consultation. It was probably just a "We're gonna can EB, you ok with that?"

PlatinumZealot

I don't remember McLaren this awful until Zack took over. Even when they were languishing at the back of the grid with Honda in 2015, there was still a sense of promise, still a sense of hope. They car had basically ZERO sponsors on it, and one still felt the aura of McLaren in the paddock... but now...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

M840TR
M840TR

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 02:42
I don't remember McLaren this awful until Zack took over. Even when they were languishing at the back of the grid with Honda in 2015, there was still a sense of promise, still a sense of hope. They car had basically ZERO sponsors on it, and one still felt the aura of McLaren in the paddock... but now...
That's because the engine was so bad they thought it was the only problem.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Zynerji wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 01:19
GoranF1 wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 01:04
According to many on this thread, this Boulier axe should mean pole position in UK.
Nobody works for an arrogant boss, they only work in spite of them.

Let's see how quickly the underappreciated workers at McLaren rise now that EB's arrogance isn't stifling them.
This. He looks arrogant, he acts arrogant and that certainly doesn't help when you have to rely on your staff. Nobody was talking about McLaren being on pole in Silverstone, but giving out Freddo's should have been enough for giving him the sack. Imagine how disrespectful that must feel. I'm sure they rather would be thanked than being handed a f**king Freddo. You really have no idea how to treat people if you do something like that.

M840TR
M840TR

I think Freddogate was the last nail in the coffin for Boullier. Mclaren DID NOT need anymore bad publicity at this time. It was like kicking a dead horse for the team. And Eric exacerbated the whole situation by not only disrespectfully compensating the workers with chocolates but getting into a feud with the writer ON AIR as he dismissed the story as false. The rift between Zak and him was clear when in an interview shortly after Zak acknowledged the story was true. There was likely an internal investigation too and it was maybe found that the allegations of Boullier being 'untouchable' was correct. They probably thought right then that the team can not afford these shenanigans any longer and he was axed.

Thunder

diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 16:28
Thunder wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:58
I would be more in Favour of #bringbackjost to be honest.
Really, What Josh doing these day ??? Managing Merc ?
He's back at Volkswagen, running the R GmbH and some other branch there.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

sn809
sn809

Lol how could this be for real, Chocs??
Did he not read what happened in Amazon
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/a ... f-11629106

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Stoffel, on Mclaren's British Grand Prix preview.

"We’re pushing hard to get new components ready for this weekend so we can get the most out of our package."

Hopefully, they'll be able to do this and the updates will bring more performance.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

jz11
jz11

just another generic line so they have something to tell to the reporters, I wouldn't pay any attention to it

p.s. I bet the "front wing guys" are working overtime though :D

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

RonDennis wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 02:47
Zynerji wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 01:19
GoranF1 wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 01:04
According to many on this thread, this Boulier axe should mean pole position in UK.
Nobody works for an arrogant boss, they only work in spite of them.

Let's see how quickly the underappreciated workers at McLaren rise now that EB's arrogance isn't stifling them.
This. He looks arrogant, he acts arrogant and that certainly doesn't help when you have to rely on your staff. Nobody was talking about McLaren being on pole in Silverstone, but giving out Freddo's should have been enough for giving him the sack. Imagine how disrespectful that must feel. I'm sure they rather would be thanked than being handed a f**king Freddo. You really have no idea how to treat people if you do something like that.
Yeah, Ron was certainly better in giving bonuses and thanks...

M840TR
M840TR

jz11 wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 10:30
just another generic line so they have something to tell to the reporters, I wouldn't pay any attention to it

No updates but plenty of test parts like in Austria. So probably true.

bauc

M840TR wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 11:39
jz11 wrote:

Zak said in the interview for SkySports that fans should not expect any miracles for Sliverstone, so I guess like you guys that they will only bring more test parts.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

M840TR
M840TR

bauc wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 11:46
M840TR wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 11:39
jz11 wrote:

Zak said in the interview for SkySports that fans should not expect any miracles for Sliverstone, so I guess like you guys that they will only bring more test parts.
They can't bring any now because it takes around 4 weeks to manufacture such complex CF components and they've only indicated starting to understanding the problems better in Austria. Hungry is scheduled currently for upgrades.

Shader

Sacking Boullier will not achieve anything good. (even if he was not sacked, the terrain for that was definitely prepared, so he has to break under preassure) This is last thing McLaren needed right now. He is now just another scapegoat in a row, and the continuation of those practices remains. Boullier couldn't not possibly be responsible for this cars failings, he might have contributed but he did not make the design foundations or design any part for that matter. Heads rolling just for the sake of heads rolling never did any good in any team in any sport. Im just curious to see who the next scapegoat is and how much deeper to they need to humiliate themself before owners do any real changes.