Cottrell's F1 Car [Model]

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jordangp

Re: Telmex Cottrell GP CGP-01 [car model]

N12ck wrote:
jordangp wrote:A slight bit of flutter could be beneficial in vortex generation to the rear wing, energising the airflow.
I have seen images of them fluttering, and I was concerned of more drag and more disturbed flow rather than a clean vortex
It can cause low pressure towards underside of rear wing, in the central area where flutter can be, which of course is what causes downforce in the rear wing. Of course, it creates a little drag, but a little drag for a little downforce could help with loss of EBD

N12ck

Maybe, I'll have a think of the pro's and con's, its 2 of 1 and half a dozen of another :lol:
Budding F1 Engineer

jordangp

N12ck wrote:Maybe, I'll have a think of the pro's and con's, its 2 of 1 and half a dozen of another :lol:
No difference to have it, or not to have it really. Rear downforce-to-drag is no different. Just more livery/sponsorship space if you need it

N12ck

jordangp wrote:
N12ck wrote:Maybe, I'll have a think of the pro's and con's, its 2 of 1 and half a dozen of another :lol:
No difference to have it, or not to have it really. Rear downforce-to-drag is no different. Just more livery/sponsorship space if you need it
I dont need it at the moment then! :lol: I think the Black and gold will go nicer with a conventional engine cover :D
Budding F1 Engineer

MIKEY_!

jordangp wrote:
CottrellGP wrote:Its a lot easier to add onto my car plus i can changed the exit around for different races/temperatures and i its quiet slim so it allows more room for more air to the rear wing :)
I wouldn't say it allows more air to the rear wing, in fact you could even say it is somewhat limiting to airflow. But is perhaps more for a directional and vortex generating purpose. However any benefits are negligible.
I would. The intake extends to the head rest so unless there's a KERS intake built into it the whole structure will be narrower than normal.

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

What would you have Mikey? and thanks for the feedback guys!
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

jordangp

MIKEY_! wrote:
jordangp wrote:
CottrellGP wrote:Its a lot easier to add onto my car plus i can changed the exit around for different races/temperatures and i its quiet slim so it allows more room for more air to the rear wing :)
I wouldn't say it allows more air to the rear wing, in fact you could even say it is somewhat limiting to airflow. But is perhaps more for a directional and vortex generating purpose. However any benefits are negligible.
I would. The intake extends to the head rest so unless there's a KERS intake built into it the whole structure will be narrower than normal.
I don't get what that has to do with having a shark fin?

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

I wont have a shark fin anyway was only put there for show.
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

N12ck

Cotrells getting rid of his sharkfin, time to put one back onto my car :lol: jokes :lol:
Budding F1 Engineer

jordangp

:lol: shame the championship doesn't give you data to find out if it's better with/without. I guess that's what team's personal CFD is for though...

N12ck

jordangp wrote::lol: shame the championship doesn't give you data to find out if it's better with/without. I guess that's what team's personal CFD is for though...
cant afford it sadly, and i dont have the computer power
Budding F1 Engineer

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

This will probably be the last picture upload now before the season starts, dont want to give idea or things away just incase!

Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

jordangp

What's that at the rear of the sidepods along the floor?

N12ck

jordangp wrote:What's that at the rear of the sidepods along the floor?
more to the point, where is the exhaust?
Budding F1 Engineer

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Thats an erm aerofoil just helping the air :lol:
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!