Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: Red Bull RB20

AbulafiaF1 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:29
organic wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:18
What a shock zeropod won't come

I would argue the exact opposite. This picture confirms what many people in here are saying. i.e. that the radiators have been mounted vertically and high, and now occupy the two channels running either side of the engine cover, leaving the sidepods with, mainly, empty space. It's not hard to imaging the sidepods shrinking to take advantage this empty space, in cooler races.
Vertically? The radiator looks to be in a similar position to last season. Far more interesting would be a picture of the "shoulders".

stewie325
stewie325

AbulafiaF1 wrote:
organic wrote:

I would argue the exact opposite. This picture confirms what many people in here are saying. i.e. that the radiators have been mounted vertically and high, and now occupy the two channels running either side of the engine cover, leaving the sidepods with, mainly, empty space. It's not hard to imaging the sidepods shrinking to take advantage this empty space, in cooler races.
Agree, there seems to be sufficient space for the undercut to be even larger in the middle of the sidepod area, where it's currently very bulbous.

Henk_v
Henk_v

I think the perspective is deceiving. Look how much the SIS protrudes beyond the radiators. These look quite tucked in.

As many pointed out the zeropod was also not a true zeropod but had substantial volume.

Holm86

AbulafiaF1 wrote:
organic wrote:

I would argue the exact opposite. This picture confirms what many people in here are saying. i.e. that the radiators have been mounted vertically and high, and now occupy the two channels running either side of the engine cover , leaving the sidepods with, mainly, empty space. It's not hard to imaging the sidepods shrinking to take advantage this empty space, in cooler races.
They definitely don't occupy the channels along the engine cover

Cs98
Cs98

Henk_v wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:51
I think the perspective is deceiving. Look how much the SIS protrudes beyond the radiators. These look quite tucked in.

As many pointed out the zeropod was also not a true zeropod but had substantial volume.
You mean like this?

west52keep64

TimW wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 19:42
Note that according to Mark Hughes the car tested in Silverstone and in the studio is exactly what Helmut Marko describes (also see his replies in the comment section):

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... ame-again/
A slim vertical radiator inlet, sited low and hugging the chassis sides, exposed a simply enormous undercut for the front of the sidepod. That sidepod itself was way smaller than before and the whole rear bodywork of the car stopped very short, revealing lots of volume for the airflows to the rear wing and diffuser to exploit.

Hi Rick. Yes the computerised renders had a few fake details notably the radiator inlet. But the car at the launch - which I was stood about 2 metres from - was the car from Silverstone testing the previous day and was very much real. Albeit with a fake floor fitted which just had flat edges.
Mark Hughes must have forgotten his glasses, because what's on track is nothing like what he has described.
Last edited by west52keep64 on 21 Feb 2024, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Henk_v
Henk_v

Yes, the RB19 radiators were wider than the sis and then widened a bit more.

The RB20 radiators are substantially narrower than the sis and then quickly get narrower.

.poz
.poz

stewie325 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:47
Agree, there seems to be sufficient space for the undercut to be even larger in the middle of the sidepod area, where it's currently very bulbous.
But this bulbous area is needed to outwash the front tires wake

FNTC
FNTC

Potential for a huge undercut here, pretty much all the way back, making the whole sidepod a sort of wing.

Cs98
Cs98

Henk_v wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:55
Yes, the RB19 radiators were wider than the sis and then widened a bit more.

The RB20 radiators are substantially narrower than the sis and then quickly get narrower.
That's not what the pictures show. The SIS is clearly wider than the radiator on both RB18 and 19.

There's no zeropod in there:

nmoleiro
nmoleiro

"There's no zeropod in there:"
There never was... the mercedes just had the volume of the sidepod down on the floor...
I guess we can also call the mercedes "zero-undercut", but thats not as flashy is it?

OT: Wheres does the vertical slot feeds to?

Mattchu

It also looks like the vertical sidepod entry is split into to 2 seperate airflows.

Apexseal157

AbulafiaF1 wrote:
organic wrote:

God why would they go to a concept which is proven to be poor at managing wheel wake, logic would suggest that the added bulk in the pods is a wake management choice as opposed to a tuneable element for certain races. We all know now what the team's are trying to do with the flow in that area, mainly increasing high pressure above the floor entrance, producing enough outwash to keep wheel wake outboard and to provide strong clean flow to the rear of the car (though watersides or undercuts) a zeropod or skinny pod just isn't the ideal solution to these regs, with no bargeboard the pods have a crucial role in wake control and I don't see redbull ditching that.

Vanja #66

Henk_v wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 13:51
Indeed, radiator looks significantly tucked in and there seems to be 50-100 mm of empty volume right now. It wouldn't be a surprise to see RB20 feature radically shrink-wrapped sides in Japan, not too dissimilar from W14B sides basically.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Venturiation
Venturiation

Apexseal157 wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 14:39
AbulafiaF1 wrote:
organic wrote:

God why would they go to a concept which is proven to be poor at managing wheel wake, logic would suggest that the added bulk in the pods is a wake management choice as opposed to a tuneable element for certain races. We all know now what the team's are trying to do with the flow in that area, mainly increasing high pressure above the floor entrance, producing enough outwash to keep wheel wake outboard and to provide strong clean flow to the rear of the car (though watersides or undercuts) a zeropod or skinny pod just isn't the ideal solution to these regs, with no bargeboard the pods have a crucial role in wake control and I don't see redbull ditching that.
The concept is proven to be way faster in the windtunnel
Marko confirmed it and sky f1 is saying they are bringing it in Japan