2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
chrstphrln

Re: 2024 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 24 - 26

Scorpaguy wrote:
27 May 2024, 15:50
Monaco is just what liberty wants...a party for the ultra rich...with a backdrop of colorful slot cars in the background. Looking at the stands, it seems there were plenty of paying customers willing to shell out cash for this dog.

So we have the glitz, glamor, and cash...no losers in the equation (as Liberty Media do not care squat about motorsport aficionados).
This.
However, it's not an original Liberty thing, it was already like this in the 80s.
I think it can be like this once a year, the race can be secondary and Formula 1 can celebrate itself.
And who knows, maybe in 2025 we'll have another completely chaotic race with accidents after the first lap, yellow flags, rain showers, safety cars, a pit stop lottery and four leaders.

And if not, if there can be a boring race anywhere in the world, then please let it be in Monte Carlo.

TFSA

Hoffman900 wrote:
26 May 2024, 17:16
I suspect a rule change coming that a red flag/ tire change doesn’t count as a pit stop.
There's no requirement "to pit". The requirement is for two different dry compounds to be used during the race, or at least one set of wets/inters. Technically, if it's a wet race, you can do the entire race on a set of inters without pitting.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

TFSA wrote:
27 May 2024, 19:06
Hoffman900 wrote:
26 May 2024, 17:16
I suspect a rule change coming that a red flag/ tire change doesn’t count as a pit stop.
There's no requirement "to pit". The requirement is for two different dry compounds to be used during the race, or at least one set of wets/inters. Technically, if it's a wet race, you can do the entire race on a set of inters without pitting.
“Technically” they were in the pits.

The rule would require a pit stop, regardless. They have done this in the past.

browney
browney

I do enjoy that Monaco is different. Monaco qualifying is one of my favourite things to watch.

But id be ok with doing something more different with the race as well, like maybe trying match racing (like formula E qualifying) or something like the isle of man TT. I think there is enjoyment in variety.

Shrieker

When will k-mag receive a race ban ? When he kills someone ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

dialtone
dialtone

Shrieker wrote:When will k-mag receive a race ban ? When he kills someone ?
It wasn’t really that clear that it was his fault. He had nowhere to go on the right and there was little reason for Perez to close off further on the right when the track already curves left on its own there. It wasn’t a wise move by kmag but it’s far from being flagrant. He wasn’t trying to pass perez, he was likely just trying to stay ahead of hulk and any breaking would have meant giving that place up with hulk on the inside. Without Perez closing right nothing would have happened there.

dialtone
dialtone

browney wrote:I do enjoy that Monaco is different. Monaco qualifying is one of my favourite things to watch.

But id be ok with doing something more different with the race as well, like maybe trying match racing (like formula E qualifying) or something like the isle of man TT. I think there is enjoyment in variety.
Monaco is definitely boring but we just had the 2023 season and I don’t recall many of those claiming monaco is bad calling for radical changes to f1 rules because 2023 season was boring. In fact I recall for people saying the rest of the grid should git gud.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dialtone wrote:
27 May 2024, 22:02
Shrieker wrote:When will k-mag receive a race ban ? When he kills someone ?
It wasn’t really that clear that it was his fault. He had nowhere to go on the right and there was little reason for Perez to close off further on the right when the track already curves left on its own there. It wasn’t a wise move by kmag but it’s far from being flagrant. He wasn’t trying to pass perez, he was likely just trying to stay ahead of hulk and any breaking would have meant giving that place up with hulk on the inside. Without Perez closing right nothing would have happened there.
The line takes the cars closer to that barrier as they climb the hill. KMag knows that - he put his nose in to a closing gap expecting the other driver to sort it out for him.

I would suggest that the reason it was brushed under the "first lap racing incident" rug is because the FIA/LM don't want to be seen to be banning drivers. Not good PR.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AMG.Tzan

I love how Max kept calling the race boring again and again :lol:

Where was that mentality when he was saying “I prefer winning races by big margins instead of having to fight”?? I mean what’s the difference between leading a race by 20 seconds with no battles whatsoever to racing in Monaco for 70 laps without battles? Ah probably being 6th instead of 1st… :wink:

The guy basically spent half of 2022 and a whole year in 2023 doing practice runs in all the races! Can’t really find what’s not boring about this Max…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

TFSA

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 May 2024, 22:07
The line takes the cars closer to that barrier as they climb the hill. KMag knows that - he put his nose in to a closing gap expecting the other driver to sort it out for him.

I would suggest that the reason it was brushed under the "first lap racing incident" rug is because the FIA/LM don't want to be seen to be banning drivers. Not good PR.
Not likely. As has been pointed out by other people on different social media, Kevin recieved a penalty himself in Singapore last year in a similar situation, where he was in Perez position. Albon was on the outside, and he squeezed Albon. The situations aren't the same, but they're similar.

This is classic Lap 1 incident for me. You have 3 cars scrambling to go side by side, too much to keep track off for the drivers, and then the track narrows a bit and sh*t happens. 😕

AMG.Tzan wrote:
27 May 2024, 22:08
I love how Max kept calling the race boring again and again :lol:

Where was that mentality when he was saying “I prefer winning races by big margins instead of having to fight”??
While i get the hypocrisy accusations, he was referring to the fact that they had to drive extremely slowly. There were interviews after the race where he said that to conserve tires, they had to go off throttle on the straits. The Pit Walls were constantly asking their drivers to slow down. Leclerc was being asked to slow down. Russell was being asked to slow down. Many drivers were, and it's no risk because it's basically impossible to overtake.

Beyond the occasional situations where drivers want to back someone up for their teammate, can you ever recall this happening before? Don't we want drivers to push, or what?

PlatinumZealot

Watto wrote:
27 May 2024, 06:19
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 May 2024, 05:17
Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 23:49
There's no way to fix Monaco from a racing perspective. We just have to get used to the fact that overtaking here is outrageously difficult without some luck.

But I dont think F1 as a whole would hurt from having a 'one mandatory pitsop' rule. That's similar enough to what the point of mandating the use of two different compounds in the race is anyways. That comes with the expectation that there will be at least one stop in the race, but obviously we experience the rare situation here where a red flag ruins that at a track where tire wear is super minimal. Mandate at least one stop every race no matter what and it'll change nothing for basically any other race, while ensuring the rare situation like this still gets a bit of strategy intrigue.

I can think of no downsides.
An idea I once bandied about was to have special technical regs for Monaco that would make narrow suspension arms and skinny tyres mandatory. Cars would be 1700 mm wide and tyres 50mm (2 inch) narrower.
I'd imagine in a cost cap era this would be unlikely. Tyre development and testing and teams desting/dev of the cars.

mandatory pit stops I think is something that should be done. Not so sure it changes the result that much but something and I don't really see a down side to it
It wouldn't add much cost despite what itmay seem. A simple allowance can be given for it to change the face of the sport.

Perez's crash because of the tight space.. Was $2 million.

Same wheel base, same camber limits. Aerodynamics wont matter much anyway this is done for entertainment reasons and for racing. Force the teams to use the same bodywork. No new bodywork is allowed. No new specification front wings allowed.

Simples.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Xwang
Xwang

What puzzle me is that despite the very low speed kept by the front runner for 70% of the race, yet the 2nd half of the pack was not able to keep the pace and they were lapped.
As far as possible solutions, I'll propose to use in some parts of the track the half line to separate two possible lanes. Pilots can chose one of the two lanes and cannot change till the end of the zone. If one wheel goes over the half line, the pilot gets a deactivation of kers for the following lap. This way cars can overtake even in narrow tracks (off course speed in the two trajectories could be different but for example if applied from the first turn up to the Mirabeau, it could do the trick). Speed in the turns will be slower, so improving chances of overtakes.

Watto
Watto

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 May 2024, 00:17
Watto wrote:
27 May 2024, 06:19
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 May 2024, 05:17

An idea I once bandied about was to have special technical regs for Monaco that would make narrow suspension arms and skinny tyres mandatory. Cars would be 1700 mm wide and tyres 50mm (2 inch) narrower.
I'd imagine in a cost cap era this would be unlikely. Tyre development and testing and teams desting/dev of the cars.

mandatory pit stops I think is something that should be done. Not so sure it changes the result that much but something and I don't really see a down side to it
It wouldn't add much cost despite what itmay seem. A simple allowance can be given for it to change the face of the sport.

Perez's crash because of the tight space.. Was $2 million.

Same wheel base, same camber limits. Aerodynamics wont matter much anyway this is done for entertainment reasons and for racing. Force the teams to use the same bodywork. No new bodywork is allowed. No new specification front wings allowed.

Simples.
Yeah thats probably pretty fair. Do you think Perell would need to testing on tyres make sure they are structurally sound - admittedly Monacco doesn't come across as a track that would have any real high loads through the tire.

Sevach
Sevach

I would go with something like, special tires, softer than the C5, no other compounds for this event, all sets are of this special compound.
Obligatory passages through the pits(changing tires optional), 1 or 2, must be done under green flag conditions no SC or VSC allowed, you can change tires during these periods but it doesn't count for your obligatory pit trips.

dialtone
dialtone

I’ve rewatched a few times the gasly - ocon incident and to be honest I do not understand the furore against Ocon.

I get it from a team mate perspective, but racing wise the move ocon pulled was entirely within the rules, he didn’t leave track, he was ahead at the apex (which we learned in miami entitles the overtaking driver to the firstborn son of the overtaken), as overtaking driver he should have left some space and thus is a bit at fault, but if the reasoning for Kmag is that he should have braked, then Gasly was beaten and should have given up and instead stayed there.

So I don’t get it…