Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes W11

Yes. But note what I said.
The rulesare in black and white. Steering in on chapter. Suspension in another.

This is how Mercedes could not be touched this year.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

bosyber
bosyber

Yep, that's the way I see it too, and what seems to be the informed consensus, as that's the only way Merc and the FIA would be so sure it was legal for this year.

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

Interesting details on the DAS joint

PlatinumZealot

McLaren had this sort of joint in the 2000's. It was for aerodynamic reasons, to change the pitch the steering arm in the air.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

El Scorchio

Apparently just been confirmed by the FIA that DAS will be outside of the rules in 2021.

Edit: which actually makes what someone said earlier completely true. Great piece of strategy to put the other teams in a situation right now, where they potentially waste time developing a dead end to keep up this year but sacrifice next year, or kiss this year goodbye.
Last edited by El Scorchio on 21 Feb 2020, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

jumpingfish

Not once this smoke

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
21 Feb 2020, 15:30

But it can be argued that it's not steering.

Gooch
Gooch

Mario Isola did an interview which more or less confirmed a thought that I had based on the movement of the front wheels: the system changes both camber and toe.

While the system may decrease rolling resistance slightly due to reduced toe, I think the real advantage will be that it can get the full contact patch of the tire in contact with the road while in a straight line. Hence you can work heat into the full width of the tire before you hit the brakes or begin to corner.

Presumably it will also reduce wear on the inner portion of the tire, but I don't think the effect will nearly as large as one would expect because the system is only used for a small portion of each lap.

Vary
Vary

Gooch wrote: ↑
21 Feb 2020, 16:21
Mario Isola did an interview which more or less confirmed a thought that I had based on the movement of the front wheels: the system changes both camber and toe.

While the system may decrease rolling resistance slightly due to reduced toe, I think the real advantage will be that it can get the full contact patch of the tire in contact with the road while in a straight line. Hence you can work heat into the full width of the tire before you hit the brakes or begin to corner.

Presumably it will also reduce wear on the inner portion of the tire, but I don't think the effect will nearly as large as one would expect because the system is only used for a small portion of each lap.
But if it changes also the camber then the system would not comply with articles 10.2.1 and 10.2.3, right?

Polite
Polite

pantherxxx wrote: ↑
21 Feb 2020, 16:02
PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
21 Feb 2020, 15:30

But it can be argued that it's not steering.
and also.. tech rules define wheels as part of the suspension system :wink:
so 2 chapters but wheels are described in both

Sevach
Sevach

bucker
bucker

TimmTurbo wrote: ↑
21 Feb 2020, 15:35
Interesting details on the DAS joint

Is this really just for DAS system. My opinion is that this oval thing changes height of the car when cornering. It is present on most cars nowdays.

netracing
netracing

Gooch wrote: ↑
21 Feb 2020, 16:21

Wouldn't the camber change become more negative though due to the castor angle? In my mind they're actually reducing the contact patch when they adjust to the neutral toe angle down the straight.

dtro
dtro

El Scorchio wrote: ↑
21 Feb 2020, 15:52
Apparently just been confirmed by the FIA that DAS will be outside of the rules in 2021.

Edit: which actually makes what someone said earlier completely true. Great piece of strategy to put the other teams in a situation right now, where they potentially waste time developing a dead end to keep up this year but sacrifice next year, or kiss this year goodbye.
Could this all just be a Mercedes flex/red herring? We have so much money/resources, here's this piece of tech that might give us what- .5 sec around a given lap, and even if that's a big maybe, making other teams think about that just for one year could throw a spanner in their 2021 plans.

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

[/quote]
Is this really just for DAS system. My opinion is that this oval thing changes height of the car when cornering. It is present on most cars nowdays.
[/quote]

Maybe you’re right any comparison pictures from 2019 would give us an idea of the differences in packaging