2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

basti313 wrote:
Swed3121 wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 15:19
basti313 wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 13:37
In the past these processes took very long. I think with Toyota and BMW for Glock it was several weeks from the first hearing.
Interesting, most media outlets seem to be quoting the same 3-4 day period after the hearing when we should hear something (be that a leak or an actual announcement)
Maybe if the case is super easy...and there is maybe even not a case? I guess this is all unknown, but I would say that the Glock case is comparable with an option clause that was not pulled if there is anything behind.
Will the CRB make their ruling public? We don’t know why it would… If it won’t, it’s up then to the teams to disclose the resolution… If they will negotiate some terms afterwards it is to be expected to remain quiet. (unless Otmar is in the know… We will all know the minute he does).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 17:12
basti313 wrote:
Swed3121 wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 15:19

Interesting, most media outlets seem to be quoting the same 3-4 day period after the hearing when we should hear something (be that a leak or an actual announcement)
Maybe if the case is super easy...and there is maybe even not a case? I guess this is all unknown, but I would say that the Glock case is comparable with an option clause that was not pulled if there is anything behind.
Will the CRB make their ruling public? We don’t know why it would… If it won’t, it’s up then to the teams to disclose the resolution… If they will negotiate some terms afterwards it is to be expected to remain quiet. (unless Otmar is in the know… We will all know the minute he does).

I think its a cert that the wining team would crow about it and the losing team complain about it. We will hear from one side if not both
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 18:53
SmallSoldier wrote:
basti313 wrote: Maybe if the case is super easy...and there is maybe even not a case? I guess this is all unknown, but I would say that the Glock case is comparable with an option clause that was not pulled if there is anything behind.

I think its a cert that the wining team would crow about it and the losing team complain about it. We will hear from one side if not both
I'm not sure Mclaren will crow, but naturally if Mclaren do sign Piastri for next year then there will be an announcement regarding the seat for next year. I'm sure they will make no mention of the CRB process or Alpine.

Alpine on the other hand...

I did read an article though I'm not sure of it's providence, it is an interesting read though.

https://thejudge13.com/2022/08/30/drive ... h-piastri/

I don't particularly like "thejudge13" though as it seems quite sensationalist.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 19:45
Big Tea wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I'm not sure Mclaren will crow, but naturally if Mclaren do sign Piastri for next year then there will be an announcement regarding the seat for next year. I'm sure they will make no mention of the CRB process or Alpine.

I did read an article though I'm not sure of it's providence, it is an interesting read though.

I also have learned not to go to that site, but it does seem more and more that there are 'things' behind the scene's we do not know about.
They may or may not come out
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Stig14
Stig14

Big Tea wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 20:44
mwillems wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I also have learned not to go to that site, but it does seem more and more that there are 'things' behind the scene's we do not know about.
I can't see a situation where Piastri drives for Alpine (Otmar openly said he believes Oscar lacks integrity so that's closed that option for Alpine) so everyone is just waiting to learn how much the compensation McLaren will need to pay. It's a rather frustrating waiting game but I believe I read somewhere that Otmar believes this should all be resolved by the time the racing starts this weekend 🤞

mwillems

Stig14 wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 21:16
Big Tea wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 20:44
mwillems wrote:

I can't see a situation where Piastri drives for Alpine (Otmar openly said he believes Oscar lacks integrity so that's closed that option for Alpine) so everyone is just waiting to learn how much the compensation McLaren will need to pay. It's a rather frustrating waiting game but I believe I read somewhere that Otmar believes this should all be resolved by the time the racing starts this weekend 🤞
If Alpine are adjudged to hold Piastri contractually for the next year, then he may well accept he has to drive for Alpine if they tell him he will drive for Alpine or no one next year.

If Alpine hold Piastri and don't allow him to Mclaren we have to then fill the sport for next year and unless we then sign Piastri for '24 ASAP then he may not make the move. And if we did sign Piastri for '24 then we'd have to fill the '23 spot for one year.

I hear Ricciardo is free.

Joking aside, the team know the situation with Piastri and have still decided to terminate Ricciardo so they have a clear plan, it's just that no one else knows what it is! Whether they are super confident that they will get Piastri or that they are happy to take one of the Indy guys for a year, or more.

Edit:

I just came across this, which basically says they have options in Indy in an interview with Zak brown, and also states that he expects to know the outcome of the verdict before the next race, so it may be that the verdict will be released by tomorrow, if the teams don't know already.

https://racer.com/2022/08/29/mclaren-ha ... k6BYY7Tgh4

-Bandit

Espresso
Espresso

SmallSoldier wrote:
]

The decision at the latest Thursday afternoon EU time.
About what to communicate to the public...that section of the CRB ruling is blank.
Only thing is that the teams, by the Concorde Accord...are bound to the decision of the CRB.

Alpine tried to juggle and control all the balls.
They are left with 1 Ball. Ocon .. who's indirectly been nagging on the radio for ages to be the nr. 1.
I'm going to have a laugh if Gasly is the one moving to Alpine!

So should Sfaz want to sue Piastri...the Court should refer them to the CRB...😉
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Stig14
Stig14

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 00:52
If Alpine are adjudged to hold Piastri contractually for the next year, then he may well accept he has to drive for Alpine if they tell him he will drive for Alpine or no one next year.
This is the thing though- I don't think Alpine actually want Piastri any more. You don't openly say you "wish he had more integrity" and then bring him into a key role of the team. What does that say about Alpine if they were to do that after Otmar's comments? I'm sure Alpine would rather receive a envelope (or many envelopes) of cash instead of spiting Piastri by making him sit out a year.

mwillems

Stig14 wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 08:00
mwillems wrote:
This is the thing though- I don't think Alpine actually want Piastri any more. You don't openly say you "wish he had more integrity" and then bring him into a key role of the team. What does that say about Alpine if they were to do that after Otmar's comments? I'm sure Alpine would rather receive a envelope (or many envelopes) of cash instead of spiting Piastri by making him sit out a year.
Everything changes very quickly in F1, its less likely he'll drive for Alpine but he may yet still.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Stig14 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Those comments wouldn’t matter at the end, it would be as simple as Alpine / Otmar approaching Oscar’s tweet as a result of his youth / age but now that things are clear he is happy to join the team… From Oscar side, it would be as simple as ignoring the initial tweet or claiming to be surprised and confused by the announcement and in a couple of weeks it would be water under the bridge.

Otmar’s integrity comments aren’t that bad or unforgettable really (he wishes he had more integrity) and it would be extremely childish from Oscar to refuse a ride in 2023 because of it (if that is his only option)… Alonso called Otmar a liar a couple of weeks ago and mocked him bad after the latter said he was unreachable and in vacation in Greece, said that he wasn’t involved in his contract and they are working together and smiling on camera.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 11:43
Stig14 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Those comments wouldn’t matter at the end, it would be as simple as Alpine / Otmar approaching Oscar’s tweet as a result of his youth / age but now that things are clear he is happy to join the team… From Oscar side, it would be as simple as ignoring the initial tweet or claiming to be surprised and confused by the announcement and in a couple of weeks it would be water under the bridge.

Otmar’s integrity comments aren’t that bad or unforgettable really (he wishes he had more integrity) and it would be extremely childish from Oscar to refuse a ride in 2023 because of it (if that is his only option)… Alonso called Otmar a liar a couple of weeks ago and mocked him bad after the latter said he was unreachable and in vacation in Greece, said that he wasn’t involved in his contract and they are working together and smiling on camera.

They’re looking at alternatives, Gasly, according to reports. I think they know what the result will be. Joe Saward is hit and miss, more miss than hit to be fair, but he suggests that it seems whatever Piastri signed wasn’t legally binding. It’s his opinion, obviously, but he’s not the only one reporting on this line.

Talking of McLaren, it is clear that fairly soon the company will announce that Oscar Piastri is joining the team. The Contract Recognition Board met on Monday and there will be a result by now, but these things are secret and so the first the world will know is when either McLaren confirms Oscar, or Alpine signs someone else. The result of the CRB is really only to establish whether Alpine should be compensated, although the board does not deal with money. That is up to the teams. The word I heard was that while Alpine says Piastri signed a contract in November last year, he may not have actually signed a long form contract. This would explain why Alpine says he signed a deal and Piastri and his management say there is nothing binding. He signed a McLaren contract on July 4 and so clearly believed he was free to do so. One can perhaps theorise that Oscar signed a “heads of agreement” document but this is, by nature, a tentative document, which is usually considered non-binding… It could also be a question of wording but whatever Oscar signed it could not have been to race for Alpine in 2023 because the team at that point did not have a seat available to commit to Piastri. Thus the wording of any deal would have had to be a commitment to provide Piastri with “a Formula 1 drive” or something along those lines.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Stig14 wrote: This is the thing though- I don't think Alpine actually want Piastri any more. You don't openly say you "wish he had more integrity" and then bring him into a key role of the team. What does that say about Alpine if they were to do that after Otmar's comments? I'm sure Alpine would rather receive a envelope (or many envelopes) of cash instead of spiting Piastri by making him sit out a year.

They’re looking at alternatives, Gasly, according to reports. I think they know what the result will be. Joe Saward is hit and miss, more miss than hit to be fair, but he suggests that it seems whatever Piastri signed wasn’t legally binding. It’s his opinion, obviously, but he’s not the only one reporting on this line.

Talking of McLaren, it is clear that fairly soon the company will announce that Oscar Piastri is joining the team. The Contract Recognition Board met on Monday and there will be a result by now, but these things are secret and so the first the world will know is when either McLaren confirms Oscar, or Alpine signs someone else. The result of the CRB is really only to establish whether Alpine should be compensated, although the board does not deal with money. That is up to the teams. The word I heard was that while Alpine says Piastri signed a contract in November last year, he may not have actually signed a long form contract. This would explain why Alpine says he signed a deal and Piastri and his management say there is nothing binding. He signed a McLaren contract on July 4 and so clearly believed he was free to do so. One can perhaps theorise that Oscar signed a “heads of agreement” document but this is, by nature, a tentative document, which is usually considered non-binding… It could also be a question of wording but whatever Oscar signed it could not have been to race for Alpine in 2023 because the team at that point did not have a seat available to commit to Piastri. Thus the wording of any deal would have had to be a commitment to provide Piastri with “a Formula 1 drive” or something along those lines.
That seems to be in line with what has been said about the situation so far… Probably the most interesting part is Piastri signing a deal early July… Either McLaren already made the decision by then to replace Daniel (not surprising) or Piastri’s contract doesn’t guarantee a McLaren seat in 2023 (why would he has signed if that’s the case though)…

My money is on Daniel already out from McLaren’s perspective at that point (which would much Daniel’s IG statement of been committed to McLaren, etc

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 12:53
Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

That seems to be in line with what has been said about the situation so far… Probably the most interesting part is Piastri signing a deal early July… Either McLaren already made the decision by then to replace Daniel (not surprising) or Piastri’s contract doesn’t guarantee a McLaren seat in 2023 (why would he has signed if that’s the case though)…

My money is on Daniel already out from McLaren’s perspective at that point (which would much Daniel’s IG statement of been committed to McLaren, etc

It doesn't gaurantee a seat at mclaren in 23, this much is known. Piastri's contract gives him reserve status for next year. Regarding the F1 drive, it comes down to my post some weeks back stating that I think this comes down to whether being offered a Williams F1 drive was enough to trigger whatever clause existed, or whether Piastri had to accept the drive or if the drive had to be at Alpine. And all of that is of course conditional on whether the contract was even binding in the first instance. Otmars press release certainly seemed to suggest that in his view, being offered the Williams seat was enough to satisfy the Alpine clauses.

Replying to Ground Effect now, whilst it is unlikely, we can't assume Alpine will release Piastri if it is deemed he belongs to them. They could hold on to him and given that the general opinion is against Mclaren and for Dan, then it might be something they think they can get away with. It is unlikely but not totally unlikely, it's a real possiblity.

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
Stig14 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Yep, in sport worth billions sometimes you just have to tuck your skirt in and get on with it, including Team Principles and legendary F1 drivers!

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 14:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
Stig14 wrote:

Yep, in sport worth billions sometimes you just have to tuck your skirt in and get on with it, including Team Principles and legendary F1 drivers!
Exactly… “It isn’t personal, it is just business”.