2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Zynerji wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:51
New wing may end up costing other teams vast sums to investigate, as it seems to work well.

Great job, McLaren!
Or they will copy mclaren again and build their own version, saving them loads of money :mrgreen:
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Zynerji

mwillems wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 00:01
Zynerji wrote:
New wing may end up costing other teams vast sums to investigate, as it seems to work well.

Great job, McLaren!
Or they will copy mclaren again and build their own version, saving them loads of money :mrgreen:
Agreed, but right now I'm sure most teams are working on the 2019 wing concepts in the tunnel/CFD...

If McLaren can get such a big gain by going against current convention, I'm sure RBR/Ferrari/Merc will have NO CHOICE but to check it out as well, as if any one does, and gains from it, it will put them ahead of the rest.

Due diligence is a great way to drag your opponents around by the nose.

mwillems

Zynerji wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 00:05
mwillems wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 00:01
Zynerji wrote:

Great job, McLaren!
Agreed, but right now I'm sure most teams are working on the 2019 wing concepts in the tunnel/CFD...

If McLaren can get such a big gain by going against current convention, I'm sure RBR/Ferrari/Merc will have NO CHOICE but to check it out as well, as if any one does, and gains from it, it will put them ahead of the rest.

Due diligence is a great way to drag your opponents around by the nose.
I agree too. Quite rare on here. I guess my concern is how this translates away from a track that suits them.

The general concensus was that Mclaren would push further ahead here as the high downfore negates the problems somewhat. Danny Ric carved through the field for fun and Renault lost out through strategy, so I dont think there is evidence to suggest it is much better and then how much may be track and circumstances v actual progression. However i do feel like it isnt worse.

Look forward to being hopelessly optimistic in the next few races.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

techman
techman

good job by vandorne.shame his gearbox gave up, he was matching alonso

max_speed
max_speed

only reason why Alonso managed to score points is "Ocon" not mclaren's pace. pace was not great as people a head of alonso were pulling away. Ocon created an artificial gap for mclarens to pit and come in front. i do not think car has improve a lot with new updates.
Last edited by max_speed on 30 Jul 2018, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

Also recall Mclaren have had problems they do not understand. The simplified wing may just 'ignore' a benefit of the other wing as it was doing something to mess up other other areas and they rule out one section at the time. Benefit is adding good or removing bad, could be either in this case.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Macklaren
Macklaren

max_speed wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 09:49
only reason why Alonso managed to score points is "Ocon" not mclaren's pace. pace was not great as people a head of alonso were pulling away. Ocon created an artificial gap for mclarens to pit and come in front. i do not think car has improve a lot with new updates.
No, I could just as easily argue that the people in front of Alonso were pulling away because he was managing his tires the whole race and that paid off. He didn't catch up to MAG after the stop because of being lapped and team prob told him to back off after VAN's retirement

diffuser

max_speed wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 09:49
While agree with on you statement of the updates, we really can't tell yet. Also the updates arrived for FP3 and they didn't really have a chance to look at any data to adjust stuff.

1 - you must acknowledge that the McLarens hung with the cars on Ultras while on the soft tire.
2 -The cars that started on Ultras and got stuck behind Ocon, weren't fast enough in those laps to come out in front of him. While McLaren did, all be it with more laps.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 11:34
Also recall Mclaren have had problems they do not understand. The simplified wing may just 'ignore' a benefit of the other wing as it was doing something to mess up other other areas and they rule out one section at the time. Benefit is adding good or removing bad, could be either in this case.
Wrong! They tested several "not race" quality wings to figure out there issue at previous GPs. This "race" quality wing is a result of those tests. Wether they understand their issue or not I cannot say but I did see that they tested several 3d printed wings that resulted in this carbon fibre version.

M840TR
M840TR

diffuser wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:18
Ricardo's fastest lap was 1:20.012, lap 46 on 2 lap old Ultras
Alonso's fastest lap was 1:22.090, lap 68 on 30 lap old Mediums

for whatever that's worth. Fuel weight difference, tire difference, tire age difference......

Just trying to get a read on how the parts worked...
He probably turned down the engine quite early in the race as there was about 30 sec between him and Magnussen and Sainz.

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 16:01
Big Tea wrote:
Wrong! They tested several "not race" quality wings to figure out there issue at previous GPs. This "race" quality wing is a result of those tests. Wether they understand their issue or not I cannot say but I did see that they tested several 3d printed wings that resulted in this carbon fibre version.
As they tested several wings, then revert to a plain wing, does that not indicate they are not using it to enhance other chassis features but not to interfere with them? If they understood where the problem lay they would be making changes in that area, not removing enhancements from the front wing.

(BTW, do you not find starting a post with Wrong! needlessly aggressive?)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Lots of chatter about Carlos Sainz, a couple of journalists think it's a matter of when it will be announced, not if.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... ver-choice
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 21:17
Lots of chatter about Carlos Sainz, a couple of journalists think it's a matter of when it will be announced, not if.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... ver-choice
There is even talk that the switch could happen at Spa. According to Brown it's highly unlikely, but he didn't completely deny it. It's good to see that the team finally has some leadership again, instead of all those people pointing fingers at each other.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 20:42
diffuser wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 16:01
Big Tea wrote:
As they tested several wings, then revert to a plain wing, does that not indicate they are not using it to enhance other chassis features but not to interfere with them? If they understood where the problem lay they would be making changes in that area, not removing enhancements from the front wing.

(BTW, do you not find starting a post with Wrong! needlessly aggressive?)
Too many people don't read and just talk. Sorry if I came off like that.

In your opinion it's a plain wing in others it's highly advanced wing, something nobody else is doing. People are VERY excited about it.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Highlights of Fernando's team radio for Hungary weekend. Gives a bit of insight into how they missed out on Q3.

https://youtu.be/l4iCisH3vhU
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.