2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
geogate
geogate

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Piastri dosnt need results, but we will see soon enough if the potential is there. I've seen very little of his racing in F2 and 3 - i get the impression he is more a Prost than a Senna - smart and fast rather than blindingly quick

mwillems

geogate wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 09:19
Mclaren have absolutely no reason to pay Alpine a dime. The only option to them is to take Piastri to civil court in an attempt to recoup some of their investment. It would be nothing to do with Mclaren. Chances of them winning any damages would be remote even if they tried, as clearly they held no valid contract over him. Thats all down to them i'd say. Seeing as all that has come out of the Alpine camp these last few weeks seems to have been nothing but bluster, you can just imagine it was the same for Alonso and Piastri.
The fact that Alpine has been ordered to pay full legal cost of Mclaren and Piastri shows just how badly they screwed up
Given that three highly experienced legal and contractual professionals deemed that there was not even a case to answer, I think Alpine got the message that any legal action would be fruitless.

It's done, he's ours and I look forward to seeing him in the car next year. I wonder if his contract with Alpine ends early enough that he can be in our car at the end of the year in the young driver test.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

billamend
billamend

mwillems

https://racingnews365.com/crb-ruling-de ... i-contract

He had no contract for 23 with Alpine. What a joke.

Interestingly his reserve contract runs till Dec 31st. Does this allow him to run in tests or FPs for other teams? Unlikely I think.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Big Tea

I have doubts about Oscar at Mclaren. Not a fault of his, but Mclaren seem to be having problems with setup and development so bringing in someone who has never driven in F1 does not seem a good idea. Additionally an inexperienced driver will probably not help with preparation of the car or quickly bedding it in.

We will find out, but before they are able to do anything about it Oscar will already have become an experienced driver so they are committed.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

CjC
CjC

I hope FP3 isn’t a true reflection of pace after a strong Friday yesterday. I fear it might be though
Just a fan's point of view

djos

Well that was a disappointing Fp3, both drivers spent way too much time in the garage and neither were very quick when on track.
"In downforce we trust"

haza
haza

CjC wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 13:05
I hope FP3 isn’t a true reflection of pace after a strong Friday yesterday. I fear it might be though
Was a strange session for McLaren spent most of it on the mediums they went for one push lap on the softs and pitted I think Lando had a suspension change also

McL-H
McL-H

The wind had changed a lot from yesterday. This could be affecting us more than others.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 12:47
I have doubts about Oscar at Mclaren. Not a fault of his, but Mclaren seem to be having problems with setup and development so bringing in someone who has never driven in F1 does not seem a good idea. Additionally an inexperienced driver will probably not help with preparation of the car or quickly bedding it in.

We will find out, but before they are able to do anything about it Oscar will already have become an experienced driver so they are committed.
The last guy they brought in as a rookie isn't doing that badly, to be fair.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

Thanks. I may have commented too early I know and I’ve not watched FP3 either but my frustration and concerns have just got the better of me🤣
I just hope this is all premature and Mclaren have a good weekend but I won’t be suprised if Alonso is ahead. After all it’s a hard life being a Mclaren fan…
Just a fan's point of view

_cerber1

For some reason it seemed to me that the soft tires were old, do we have the opportunity to find out?

Seerix
Seerix

_cerber1 wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 13:30
For some reason it seemed to me that the soft tires were old, do we have the opportunity to find out?
Just quickly checked on F1TV and Lando had new shiny softs

MrGapes

I don't know hard to explain, Lando went faster in his quail sim yesterday than today and Daniel only went partially quicker... surely there is more time in it right?

unsure could be holding back a lot of time, or everyone's made steps and we haven't, will just have to wait till quali

Big Tea

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 13:17
Big Tea wrote:
03 Sep 2022, 12:47

The last guy they brought in as a rookie isn't doing that badly, to be fair.
But the team was doing fine when he came there, now that are not totally happy and a new wind tunnel coming on line.
Not saying he will not be a good driver, but no matter how much experience he has on past cars, this years (so next years) he has no experience at a time they need to calibrate the tunnel
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.