2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
thestig84
thestig84

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Yeah dont listen to a word he says about Mclaren. I think he has been very anti Mclaren since 2018 and Mclaren hunting James Key https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/22 ... y-transfer

mwillems

Mclaren and Red Bull have had a quiet fued for some time and whilst not the worst of enemies, are also not the best of friends.

Anyways, I don't think any of these cars are likely to be the final cars that race, they will all bring planned upgrades. Will any be a radical departure? Unlikely, but who knows, somebody could bring something special.

Helmut Marko thinks we are trying to show off, Mercedes think we are perhaps ahead. I think the lesson to learn is that despite all the data and a team of expert analysts behind you, you can still have different opinions, mix in your own politics and not really know until the first GP... so if they don't agree what hope can we have of figuring it!

BUT it does seem like we are not moving backwards and at this point if feels like that is something we can be confident about and also be proud about. If we are still in contention for some race wins this year after the huge shake up then we can be happy.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 16:29
Apparently Helmut Marko said "McLaren is after sponsors" when asked about Ferrari and McLaren looking good. It would seem that with the data RedBull has, McLaren is running lighter on fuel.
I like it when he says things like this.
Bigger the ego- the bigger the fall.
There is nothing wrong to have a little competitive arrogance, but because Red Bull have been at the the sharp end for so long and coming off the back of Verstappens ‘title’ the arrogance has grown too much. It’s akin to dare I say Ron Dennis. There was for him and will be for Red Bull a failure to comprehend that they will suffer a fall from their mantle even though there is a history full of examples- Williams, Ferrari, Mclaren, Ferrari again..... Red bulls name is on the list but it just hasn’t happened yet
Just a fan's point of view

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Absolutely. Although I think we are pretty much where we were pecking order wise last year. Which is good as I think we have tons of development potential with the car this year. I really like the way the platform has been put together.
The sector 3 average time still leads me to think we might not quite be there in the low speed sections - especially compared to say FER this year.

(Obviously these are just my opinions looking at it from the outside and in many ways it’s still too early to tell anything conclusive. Just first impressions)

Emag
Emag

It seems like Lando's 19:5 on C4 will be our fastest lap this test.

Considering it was on day 1, I am quite happy with that.

CjC
CjC

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 18:39
Absolutely. Although I think we are pretty much where we were pecking order wise last year. Which is good as I think we have tons of development potential with the car this year. I really like the way the platform has been put together.
The sector 3 average time still leads me to think we might not quite be there in the low speed sections - especially compared to say FER this year.

(Obviously these are just my opinions looking at it from the outside and in many ways it’s still too early to tell anything conclusive. Just first impressions)
Yea I forgot to say that I’m not suggesting Mclaren are faster than Red Bull or vise versa. It was just a general comment about Marko.
Personally the sooner Horner, Marko and co get chipped down a peg or two the better

Darth-Piekus

I'm on a different opinion. Considering its the only car not porpoising and being sharper at corners I would say it's a much faster car than people think and might be even with the other 3 major competitors.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 19:00

Was Russell’s 19.2 on C4 or C3. I saw on Autosports live commentary that it was on C4 but their written report states C3??

CjC
CjC

mclaren111 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 15:02
Lando:

I don't think we're in an amazing place, but I think we're in a good place. It's been a good start, we've kept things very clean. It's been productive and we have made progress.
Lando being Lando, I know he’s very realistic and trying to cool any title shot talk but still being in the top 4 this season is a good effort by the team

Marc.W

CjC wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 19:05
Emag wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 19:00

Was Russell’s 19.2 on C4 or C3. I saw on Autosports live commentary that it was on C4 but their written report states C3??

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 18:39

That’s why everyone says to not analyze the times in Testing because you may end up making incorrect assumptions… One thing to consider is the downforce levels the teams have brought to Spain, which normally is a high DF package circuit… Looking at the pictures, the difference between the levels of DF from different teams is quiet wide, with someone like Mercedes running a very large rear wing, while McLaren using a spoon “mid DF” rear wing (and potentially package)… That would have an effect in S3

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

52 laps for Lando and 85 laps for Daniel… 137 laps on day 3, not a bad tally… A lot of mileage this last 3 days, exactly what the team needs to start focusing on performance… Hoping correlation is on point.

_cerber1

367 laps=1715 km. Good job team!!! =D>

Macklaren
Macklaren

Marc.W wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 19:07

I guess Marko will say Mercedes is looking for sponsors too!

Darth-Piekus

Marko is an arrogant fool and the jokes on him. Mclaren is full of sponsors.