Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
lio007

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

does anybody know who is mclaren's current head of aero / chief-aero ?

wunderkind
wunderkind

lio007 wrote:does anybody know who is mclaren's current head of aero / chief-aero ?
Marcin Budkowski perhaps.

lio007

wunderkind wrote:
lio007 wrote:does anybody know who is mclaren's current head of aero / chief-aero ?
Marcin Budkowski perhaps.
yeah...that's correct, just found it in the net: chief aerodynamicist Doug McKiernan and head of aero Marcin Budkowski

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I would assume, even though Gilette is involved, them not being the 'title' sponsor. If anything, i don't even expect 'telmex' to be the actual title sponsor but 'Claro', another department of Carlos Slim's 'America Movil' products. It even has the Red color so wouldn't change that much about MCL's liveries.

I believe that because of indeed the current title sponsor Vodafone, the new Title sponsor has not yet been announced - as Claro is a 'competitor', i think there are 'contractual agreements' on cases just like this. And because of that, I think both '14 drivers have not been announced officially yet.

It's highly probable Carlos Slim prefers his brand is not 'linked' to the mediocre performance of this years Mclaren, and I think they are desperately seeking good performance to put Mclaren in a good light in the remainder 2 races which both take place in the business field of America Movil: Brazil and America. Surely they're hoping Sergio will bring in a good performance to raise interest. IF that happens, a good performance in the USGP or Brazil GP, i think Perez and Button might be announced officially as the 2014 driver lineup. If not, then definately at the end of this year when attention fades from this year to next years 'new' F1 setting, and a 'refreshing' announcement will be made with the title sponsors, drivers for 2014, AND assumably some more news about the development of the 2015 Honda V6 engine, if only to slip MCL into a fresh image. Surely the 2014 experience with the MERC v6 engine will benefit both Mclaren aswell as Honda to gain an advantage, therefor I think the 2014 MCL will be another platform to build up a future championship contender to be ready with the '15 Honda V6 to battle the constructors that year.

And with that in mind, a 'fresh start' would make a perfect fit for Brawn to enter the MCL environment - He'll take his Mercedes' experience [along with the Merc engine knowledge from '09 to '13], and his Honda-era experience, which will be paramount to the 2015 championship - and this comes in handy not just in 2015 when they'll actually have the honda-mcl,
but already coming year when preperations begin to the Mcl-Honda.

It could be a interesting end to the 2014 season IF Mclaren might announce not just the Title sponsor, but the Title sponsor [Claro], additional sponsors [Gilette], the drivers [Jenson Button and Sergio Perez], and new team leader [Ross Brawn], paired with several other 'newly aquired' team members of former competitors. We saw a flocking to the AMG Merc team, I'd be surprised if Ross didn't have a play in that - he'd do the same at MCL if he does end up there.

In the meantime, this year couldn't have been more worse - I seriously expected MCL to up their game and fix their problems to end at the front again. I never understood MCL not trying their 2012 car for just 1 race to see what they'd be able to do with that compared to the '13 dog - OR, Mclaren has fooled us all [don't think so], and actually built the 2013 car with the 2014 & 2015 future in mind, and the car is that 'bad' because it's 'core/soul' design philosophy has the 2014+ era in mind. Which makes me wonder what to expect of the 2014 car compared to this years car.........
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

astracrazy
astracrazy

so perez out and mclaren delay there title sponsorship announcement on the same day. Linked?

Holm86

Manoah2u wrote:
astracrazy wrote:so perez out and mclaren delay there title sponsorship announcement on the same day. Linked?
obvious. With Perez out, Telmex[Claro] out.

are we gonna see some booze-brand at the sides of a Mclaren again? Aalborg Akvavit? Brennevin?
Telmex could have been one of the new sponsors. But i doubt that Telmex was going to be the new title sponsor. I don't believe they would throw away their comming title sponsor just to imploy a new rookie driver.

Unless they already have an agreement with Alonso who would bring back Santander as title sponsor in '15 :D

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

huh, why did my reply disappear? it's only in the quote now :wtf:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Holm86

I thought you deleted it. :D :?: :?: :?:

j2004p
j2004p

Well I think any chance he might have had of keeping his seat may now be gone.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3032 ... this-year/

G14RRV
G14RRV

rumours back in March when Vodafone / Mclaren relationship was ending at end of season, it was Coca Cola who's name was doing the rounds

astracrazy
astracrazy

Holm86 wrote: Telmex could have been one of the new sponsors. But i doubt that Telmex was going to be the new title sponsor. I don't believe they would throw away their comming title sponsor just to imploy a new rookie driver.
you assume it was Mclaren who pulled the plug. Maybe Telmex pulled the plug so Mclaren got rid of Perez (backing up the strong belief as to why he was employed by them in the first place)

gary123

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

I'm left with a sour taste in my mouth by the affairs of Mclaren recently. I don't feel they have conducted themselves in a manner which was fair to Perez.

Richard
Richard

This was a team famous for a tight control of their message and obsessive attention to detail.

So this news vacuum infers something most odd is going on behind the scenes. Perhaps an internal battle, or they maybe they're dithering not knowing what to do..... or perhaps they really do believe they have a chance of something very big.

Their decision making over the last few years makes me fear it's another sign of misjudging events, but after years of watching F1 you can't fully discount the idea that something big will make the current trouble worthwhile.

I fear it'll turn out to be a damp squib.

Sebp

Lego McLaren, maybe!? :D

No smartphone was involved in creating this message.