2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Zak brown said on F1 TV that Mercedes was hard to read and pretty much just closed the comment by saying they are good at not showing their hand.
A lion must kill its prey.

denyall

AR3-GP wrote:Zak brown said on F1 TV that Mercedes was hard to read and pretty much just closed the comment by saying they are good at not showing their hand.
This is why there is hope. Zak is trolling

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

denyall wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 18:49
AR3-GP wrote:Zak brown said on F1 TV that Mercedes was hard to read and pretty much just closed the comment by saying they are good at not showing their hand.
This is why there is hope. Zak is trolling
Well there it is. James Allison just said on F1TV they are think they are a tiny bit better than Ferrari on long run, but behind Ferrari on 1 lap pace.

mendis
mendis

James Allison seemed a content and happy man! He thinks they are "tiny bit" ahead of Ferrari on race sim, but slightly behind on one lap pace. Behind them is Aston. No mention of McLaren, which is what it is probably that McLaren is 5th best team at this point. He said there was good correlation to the track and factory, which was a problem for them in the past. He also said, they did some tests that they can't do on race weekend between tests, which would provide them the direction to move forward in future. Most likely on suspension side.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

It didn't appear that they ran the car as low as they did yesterday. Still waiting to see the data but Russell did a long stint that was mega, and during that stint overtook Leclerc's Ferrari without the use of DRS. This suggests maybe the car is a lot more slippery than before. If I were to guess they will be the second or third best car in Bahrain, a track that has not historically suited them. I think it looks promising, but of course RBR just keeps improving that beast. What can you do.

Luscion
Luscion

Hammerfist wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 19:35
It didn't appear that they ran the car as low as they did yesterday. Still waiting to see the data but Russell did a long stint that was mega, and during that stint overtook Leclerc's Ferrari without the use of DRS. This suggests maybe the car is a lot more slippery than before. If I were to guess they will be the second or third best car in Bahrain, a track that has not historically suited them. I think it looks promising, but of course RBR just keeps improving that beast. What can you do.
Him catching and passing lerclerc on the main straight without drs is encouraging, I suspect they'll bring a new wing for the race considering Allison has said they improved their drs but currently the car is producing the same speed gain with drs as the W14. The positive about the w15 is both drivers saying they can now attack corners in it, it being much better to drive and Allison saying they have very good correlation with it from sim, wind tunnel to the real world. Seems they expected they'd need to bring performance to the car but for once they can focus on just that instead of trying to fix a million problems with the car.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

A typical Mercedes pre-season.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 23 Feb 2024, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

mkay
mkay

Hammerfist wrote:
What was that stint? Are you referring to his race sim on Day 1?

Luscion
Luscion

Interview with Allison after testing today, seems very happy with the W15 in this interview, he addresses what he thinks the running order will be in the second video(right), saying that he thinks they're tiny bit ahead of ferrari in race pace but a little bit behind in single lap pace and that AM are fourth fastest. which lines up with what motorsport total thinks

Luscion
Luscion

Henri
Henri

f1 simulations where right in 2021 bahrain race.. if they right again we're in the fight

Luscion
Luscion

Henri wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:39
f1 simulations where right in 2021 bahrain race.. if they right again we're in the fight
idk how much i believe merc being that close to RB from the jump in race pace, i think 0.4-0.5 is more likely but who really knows, guess we'll see in a week

Henri
Henri

Luscion wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:42
Henri wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 22:39
idk how much i believe merc being that close to RB from the jump in race pace, i think 0.4-0.5 is more likely but who really knows, guess we'll see in a week
I.ll believe them because they where right in 2021 redbull where 5tenths aherd in qualy but merc won the race 😁

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

mkay wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:35
Hammerfist wrote:
What was that stint? Are you referring to his race sim on Day 1?
It was today. Started in low 35s and ended in low 36s on the c3. Only 7 laps though so it wasnt quite mega like i said. But still, it was fast.

Sidiamal
Sidiamal

If Mercedes are that close to Red Bull then props to the team for an unholy sandbagging operation, I didn't know it was possible to fit that much sand in a car.