Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Honda Power Unit

Sasha wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 20:31
Reading all the media reports on the Honda PU,Honda needs to do.

1.New design pre-chamber head(flame front problem-knock, so either pre-chamber combustion is wrong or jet paths to main-chamber is) :wink: or (jet paths are wrong-hitting pistons like a shape-charge warhead plasma stream? :roll: - and leading to piston nuking)
Or pre-ignition, if the resonance is interfering with the combustion process, that means it's not as precise as it needs to be to extract maximum power from the engine. You retard timing to avoid pre-ignition and lose power as a result.
Saishū kōnā

glenntws
glenntws

Just like I thought.. the jet flame quality isn't good enough... I think it partly is a result of a bad mixture in the pre-chamber.

Mapping should be fixed in 2-3 races, which is still to long but I think Honda will get that fast.

Creating a stronger trans shouldn't be that big of a task. However it's a scandal that McLaren wasn't able to achieve this task. They normally have very good transmissions and that is just sad...

Bigger TC shouldn't be that big of a task for Honda, since both the turbine and the compressor got moved out of the V. However I'm sure the turbine should stay the same size, while compressor could maybe get a bit bigger. The turbine seems to be - even though the engine now runs detuned - "insufficiently challenged".

ERS efficiency shouldn't be that big of a problem. Honda ERS was already very efficient when the turbine was much closer to the MGU-H, so that souldn't be that big of a problem.

godlameroso

glenntws wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 21:21
Just like I thought.. the jet flame quality isn't good enough... I think it partly is a result of a bad mixture in the pre-chamber.
Me too, what's causing it though?
Saishū kōnā

dren

I'd figure the ERS issue now is just tied to the PU not running as designed. Once the TJI gets working properly, it should have a knock on effect with everything else sans the tranny issues.
Honda!

ME4ME

Sasha wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 20:31
McLaren/Honda will also need to redesign trans(seamless shifting not working and the trans is too structurally weak)
YES....the TRANS is just as bad as Honda's ICE Heads!
I don't know what your source is for that, but I don't think it's true.
Driving around this problem is further restricting McLaren-Honda's performance. In Melbourne, you could hear the gears grinding as Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne shifted up much later than they would have ideally wanted to.

"We have to avoid that area - we have huge vibrations," Hasegawa explains. "The only thing I can tell is that on the dyno we didn't have such a big issue. When we have a gearbox, driveshaft and tyre, it has some resonance. Please understand I'm not blaming the chassis, we have to realise the situation on the dyno as well."
http://www.autosport.com/premium/featur ... st-f1-saga

Just a resonance problem.

Edit: See that the quote already had been posted on the previous page.
Last edited by ME4ME on 31 Mar 2017, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

dren

godlameroso wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 21:28
glenntws wrote:
As he stated, insufficient mixing of the initial precharge leading to poor jet flame quality, hence the head needing to be redesigned.
Honda!

dren

ME4ME wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 21:30

Which will still require a redesign in some form, right?
Honda!

godlameroso

dren wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 21:31
godlameroso wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 21:28
glenntws wrote:
As he stated, insufficient mixing of the initial precharge leading to poor jet flame quality, hence the head needing to be redesigned.
Right, but why isn't it mixing properly?
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

dren wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 21:32
ME4ME wrote:

Yes but not as many components as you'd imagine, one or two, then it's less than a week to fabricate the new components. So say they figure it out in two weeks, then the update could be ready for Bahrain, my guess is around Sochi.
Saishū kōnā

ME4ME

dren wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 21:32
ME4ME wrote:

Yes. But where is the evidence that there is anything wrong with the transmission? That it isn't structurally sound? Hasagawa even diverts blame away from Mclaren in this case. I think Honda got taken by surprise and didn't account for the whole car when they developed the PU. Just like they realized issues when they went from a single cylinder to a V6; it didn't work as thought.

Lets hope they figure it out quickly.

GoranF1
GoranF1

How much of a problem is that Castrol does not make fuel exclusivly for Honda?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

nzjrs

What's the predictive power of a single-cylinder engine to an integrated V6? Or stated differently, at what point does one usually make a full pilot engine and does one presume Honda did this too late?

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

Well the single cylinder ran in the UK - probably the weather here helped :)

On a different note I am pretty sure that tires have nothing to do with the vibration issues they are having (though even honda people seem to hint at it). I know from experience that tire torsional frequencies are VERY low and unlikely to interact with anything else in the driveline.

If it's gearbox related you can't blame Mclaren either.. the engine is one big inertia, the gearbox is another - stick something soft in between and it starts dancing.

So far nothing said in the press has indicated rectilinear vibration - it all appears to be torsional.

Webber2011
Webber2011

nzjrs wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 22:11
What's the predictive power of a single-cylinder engine to an integrated V6? Or stated differently, at what point does one usually make a full pilot engine and does one presume Honda did this too late?
Good point there mate.

Wazari San hinted that Honda may have wasted too much time exploring different designs, when they would have been better off narrowing it down to one or two, and then thoroughly testing them on the dyno.

Good possibility they were so tied up testing many single cylinder variations that they did indeed leave testing a full PU too late.

I don't really know though ?

The systems and procedures Honda have in place are a mystery to me.

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
31 Mar 2017, 21:46
How much of a problem is that Castrol does not make fuel exclusivly for Honda?
Good point... My guess would be this would be a "fine tuning" type thing as opposed to flat out not working.