2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FDD
FDD

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

flmkane wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 18:06
Fakepivot wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 14:51
Dunlay wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 10:21

But F1 team is not about 1 individual. If they don't have enough strength across the organisation, Elliott or even Newey can't do much to help build a winning car.
true, thats something fred talked about as well.. I really hope they can stabilize and be consistent again.
Unless Ferrari changes their company culture, that aint happening. They're no longer a racing team that funds themselves by selling cars, they're a marketing company that sticks their brand on stuff to make money (which includes a roadcars, racecars, clothes, sunglasses, etc)

Nothing wrong with that per se, but priorities matter and it's quite depressing to see Ferrari going about two decades with no championships.
Marketing is present day priority, sadly but it is a fact.
Everyone has some marketing strategy, if that certain marketing strategy yield the planned profit it is OK for them.
I follow F1 since 1979/1980, I am still following it but for the tech aspect primarily.
Regarding the sport in F1 everything is crystal clear from Coulthard's interview with Eddie Jordan.
"Should Lando have IGNORED team orders?" on YT channel "Formula for Success" if you did not watch it till now.
Listen carefully David when he is talking about some "agreements" between the teams regarding certain races.

yooogurt

Ferrari turns down Newey's requests and he turns towards Aston Martin.
Adrian Newey has made his choice: no Ferrari for him, he will go to daddy Stroll at Aston Martin. This news will become official in September.

Factors that, if accepted by Maranello, would have bypassed not only the team principal but also, in some ways, CEO Vigna as well. Something that eventually persuaded Vasseur (it is plausible to think with the assent of the ownership) to desist in what had probably already become a two-man bidding war (Ferrari and Aston Martin) after the other presumed players, e.g. McLaren and Mercedes, for one reason or another had defected almost immediately. In short, for the fourth time, Adrian would say no to Maranello's offers. Or rather, the two would not agree.

And, if things are as described by Corriere dello Sport and Autosprint, hard to totally blame the redhead. A brand like Maranello could hardly have tolerated such a broad delegation of power to Newey. And it fits. But someone else, including yours truly, thinks instead that, whatever the cost, such a brilliant and creative mind was worth any request, if you can call it that. Also because, and here there is really food for thought, we still do not know the "final" Ferrari organizational chart, with whom Cardile will be replaced and so on.

We imagine that the motto will be "the team counts." And let's hope they are right in Maranello, although reasoned concerns come, given these past few years, that this will be enough to attempt an assault on the world title. Not unimportant questions that cast an ominous shadow over the redhead's future years in F1. Elkann promised that the title would be won before reaching Ferrari's devastating historical fast, that is, the fateful 21 years (1979-2000). Some doubt (and doom and gloom) comes to Ferrari fans as they are just a handful of years away from breaking that ugly record.

The big and final "no" then, has arrived, because in all likelihood this will be Newey's last work experience before his golden retirement. That is, unless there is some other twist, at the present state of things highly unlikely if not impossible, between now and September. But as we know, reality often surpasses fantasy....
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2024 ... to-f1.html
FORZA FERRARI!

yooogurt

Newey was approached by Piero Ferrari - of course they had known each other for a long time and well, but the conversation had to start - last year at the Cavalcade, one of those rallies where history and beauty are stitched together by a parade of the most brilliant Ferraris on the planet.

That start of dialog was followed by another meeting at Monza, on the occasion of the Italian GP a year ago; the flow of contact between the two, in parallel with other talks Newey has had with Aston Martin, McLaren, Williams and others, was evident for a few brief moments at the last Miami GP (May 5), when Piero and Newey exchanged nods of understanding on the grid, just before the start.

The President, to make the negotiations more concrete, offered Newey to provide him with a report with all his wishes. The document was delivered, and it was not an A4 sheet, but a wedding plume. There was no problem with the economic agreement (Whatever it takes was in force for Ferrari), but Newey asked for decision-making powers that are the prerogative of the team principal: these included binding consent - and therefore veto power - to hire new engineers, allocate roles and agree to technical partnerships. At this point (we are now in May), Vasser got in the way, and you can hardly blame him. Newey at any cost is just a figure of speech, because in reality that cost could become prohibitive, even politically. Vasser said no, and, we repeat, we sympathize with him. On the contrary, the economic aspect of the Ferrari-Newey deal was never a problem.

The sinking of the negotiations was done with encrypted codes: at the end of May, Wasser, answering a media question about the possibility of completing a deal with Newey, explained that "the group is much more important than the individual", and already eloquent phrase to which he then added: "The most important thing is the stability of the team and I'm really happy with the current situation." A month later, at the end of June, John Elkann, answering the same question, was quite explicit: "There are a lot of assessments, we have to be careful. We have to find the right moment to do what we need to do, as happened with Hamilton." Then stomped on the brakes, deflating the tires, "There are so many possibilities, Newey or others, you have to assess well whether the conditions are suitable. You have to understand the level of motivation and the ability to create new things rather than copying others."
https://autosprint.corrieredellosport.i ... _vasseur/2
FORZA FERRARI!

Vanja #66

This corresponds to previous reports of Newey wanting very broad range of powers within the team... There is a way to turn down someone when you don't want to say no - you simply make impossible requests
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

yooogurt

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 10:36
This corresponds to previous reports of Newey wanting very broad range of powers within the team... There is a way to turn down someone when you don't want to say no - you simply make impossible requests
Im a confused about the denial, were rebuilding the team, why does Vasser care so much about the technical part of the rebuilding? Well, another TD mister X will come and change everything in his own way, but why not entrust this part to the best designer in the world? (and more top engineers will go to him than to Ferrari without him).
FORZA FERRARI!

KimiRai
KimiRai

So Mister X is Mike Elliott it seems? Unless there's other name but it looks like it. If that's the case, Mercedes reunion with Loic Serra, Hamilton and Elliott

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

Makes you think if Cardile was on board with these prospects, but ultimately the rejection made him to consider leaving for Aston Martin.

To be fair, if I was on Vasseur’s position I would do the same. Hell, even if Binotto was still there, would do the same. As Vanja pointed out, these were impossible requests.

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 10:36
When I think about it more and more, this actually makes sense.
So lets say the position of what Newey requested is something like CTO. Now Cardile left Ferrari to be actually that in Aston Martin, then what Newey would be there other than super consultant or something..

Just a thought, I could be thinking very wrong :D

Vanja #66

yooogurt wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 10:45
Im a confused about the denial, were rebuilding the team, why does Vasser care so much about the technical part of the rebuilding? Well, another TD mister X will come and change everything in his own way, but why not entrust this part to the best designer in the world? (and more top engineers will go to him than to Ferrari without him).
As those articles suggest, Newey seems to want a very broad range of executive powers, which clashes both with Vasseur as TP and Vigna as company CEO. Strategic partnerships with suppliers of his choice are mentioned... It would be a humiliation for Ferrari as a brand and company to accept that, as well as shareholders and executive Board etc

IntrinsicVoid wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 11:31
When I think about it more and more, this actually makes sense.
So lets say the position of what Newey requested is something like CTO. Now Cardile left Ferrari to be actually that in Aston Martin, then what Newey would be there other than super consultant or something..

Just a thought, I could be thinking very wrong :D
It seems be a lot more than CTO and it would refer to the company level, not team level.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

yooogurt

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 12:30
As those articles suggest, Newey seems to want a very broad range of executive powers, which clashes both with Vasseur as TP and Vigna as company CEO. Strategic partnerships with suppliers of his choice are mentioned... It would be a humiliation for Ferrari as a brand and company to accept that, as well as shareholders and executive Board etc
I mean Elkann has the last word, and its strange, what does he care who chooses suppliers and builds the technical part of the team, Vasseur, Vinga or Newey? But the last one has built more than one winning team.
And, imho, it was necessary to agree to the terms, even if it would have cost the search for a new TP, because the chances that the winning team will be built by Newey (now in Aston) much more than Vasseur and Vinga will do it.
FORZA FERRARI!

bluechris

If this is the case then i have mixed feelings.
From one side i fully understand Newey who wants to control everything no matter the money but most importantly as we saw many years in Ferrari they luck in this, the ability to be the Big Boss especially in there, but in the other side i dont see a big team ever to accept that. AM or some other midfield team maybe will accept this but not Ferrari-MB-MCLaren-RB for example.

yooogurt

bluechris wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 12:41
RB for example.
It cant be that Newey didnt have that kind of authority at RB, and as we see now that they stopped listening to him and he left, RB started to fall apart, especially on the technical side.
FORZA FERRARI!

LetHimTrough
LetHimTrough

yooogurt wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 10:28
Newey was approached by Piero Ferrari - of course they had known each other for a long time and well, but the conversation had to start - last year at the Cavalcade, one of those rallies where history and beauty are stitched together by a parade of the most brilliant Ferraris on the planet.

That start of dialog was followed by another meeting at Monza, on the occasion of the Italian GP a year ago; the flow of contact between the two, in parallel with other talks Newey has had with Aston Martin, McLaren, Williams and others, was evident for a few brief moments at the last Miami GP (May 5), when Piero and Newey exchanged nods of understanding on the grid, just before the start.

The President, to make the negotiations more concrete, offered Newey to provide him with a report with all his wishes. The document was delivered, and it was not an A4 sheet, but a wedding plume. There was no problem with the economic agreement (Whatever it takes was in force for Ferrari), but Newey asked for decision-making powers that are the prerogative of the team principal: these included binding consent - and therefore veto power - to hire new engineers, allocate roles and agree to technical partnerships. At this point (we are now in May), Vasser got in the way, and you can hardly blame him. Newey at any cost is just a figure of speech, because in reality that cost could become prohibitive, even politically. Vasser said no, and, we repeat, we sympathize with him. On the contrary, the economic aspect of the Ferrari-Newey deal was never a problem.

The sinking of the negotiations was done with encrypted codes: at the end of May, Wasser, answering a media question about the possibility of completing a deal with Newey, explained that "the group is much more important than the individual", and already eloquent phrase to which he then added: "The most important thing is the stability of the team and I'm really happy with the current situation." A month later, at the end of June, John Elkann, answering the same question, was quite explicit: "There are a lot of assessments, we have to be careful. We have to find the right moment to do what we need to do, as happened with Hamilton." Then stomped on the brakes, deflating the tires, "There are so many possibilities, Newey or others, you have to assess well whether the conditions are suitable. You have to understand the level of motivation and the ability to create new things rather than copying others."
https://autosprint.corrieredellosport.i ... _vasseur/2
Wont deny that Vasser and Wasser made me scratch my head, but I think it might because it is translated

spade16
spade16

If you have the chance to get Newey, you go for it. Disappointing that they weren’t prepared to shake things up when the current structure clearly isn’t working

Paa

I don't really get Ferrari. I would offer this kind of power to Newey, even if he doesn't specifically ask for it.
I really don't think Newey wants these prerogatives, because of ego. He just wants to make sure that he will have the right structure/work environment to maximalise potential. And not stuck into the mud, due to some political s**t.

Why would you not want to give him that, outside of having big ego as Ferrari boss? The whole point of bringing him is to change the system/structure that didn't yield results in the last 10+ years. Adrian has a proven track record, while Ferrari bosses don't. Also I think Adrian got the same power in RedBull and probably will get it with Aston, so it not something extraordinary.