2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

:(

:)

mwillems

The slowest cars are the fastest cars 😆

Mclarens top speed is down, but for 90 percent of the straights they are as fast, so it is immaterial.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 22:04

Mclarens top speed is down, but for 90 percent of the straights they are as fast, so it is immaterial.
Well, on those straights where there is no DRS zone, McLaren is fast.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 22:09
mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 22:04

Well, on those straights where there is no DRS zone, McLaren is fast.
There isn't much DRS Time at this track and we are also as fast or faster on the straight before the DRS. So even with DRS open it isn't immediate that others are faster than us. Over the entirety of the straight we are on average 1 tenth quicker than RB and Ferrari. And in general it is like this. Those top speeds mean almost nothing, usually. Only when you have a track with a number of very long DRS zones is it worth caring about.

But as is often the case, over the length of the straight, we are fast.

Of course, it's Friday, so at this point we need to hold our conclusions until there is some more representative running.

-Bandit

mwillems

Mclaren and Ferrari look like they may be pushing more than Red Bull and Merc. And possibly we are pushing a bit more than Ferrari, looking at how early we are able to change into the higher gears. This is not gearing as typically the gear changes are similar except for driving style, but this is different.

Tomorrow will be interesting. Hopefully the setup just has a lot of speed in it.

-Bandit

mclaren111

MrGapes

Weather looks pretty wet from here on out, I think the team will stay with the same rear wing regardless, they will most probably switch the beam wing.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 00:46
Mclaren and Ferrari look like they may be pushing more than Red Bull and Merc. And possibly we are pushing a bit more than Ferrari, looking at how early we are able to change into the higher gears. This is not gearing as typically the gear changes are similar except for driving style, but this is different.

Tomorrow will be interesting. Hopefully the setup just has a lot of speed in it.
In confirmation of your last two posts.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 07:57
mwillems wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/2PB1mKb/97285186-4-A1- ... 5-CD27.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/sjGZMp4/3-ED56949-E5-D ... 0281-A.jpg
Yeah I was looking at the same telemetry on f1-tempo. They didn't include the gear chart,which is the final piece of data that gives weight to the idea that we pushed more.

Speaking anecdotally, if Perez is 4 tenths behind us then Max will be at least on a par and In part this will be down to when we set our fastest laps, on a track with more rubber than when Max set his lap. Given that they look to be pushing less, I'd suggest that at this point, the Free Practise times may be misleading.

It was a pleasing Friday, but the performance of our one lap pace is yet to be really tested in a way us fans can measure.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 09:11
LionsHeart wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 07:57
mwillems wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/2PB1mKb/97285186-4-A1- ... 5-CD27.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/sjGZMp4/3-ED56949-E5-D ... 0281-A.jpg
Yeah I was looking at the same telemetry on f1-tempo. They didn't include the gear chart,which is the final piece of data that gives weight to the idea that we pushed more.

Speaking anecdotally, if Perez is 4 tenths behind us then Max will be at least on a par and In part this will be down to when we set our fastest laps, on a track with more rubber than when Max set his lap. Given that they look to be pushing less, I'd suggest that at this point, the Free Practise times may be misleading.

It was a pleasing Friday, but the performance of our one lap pace is yet to be really tested in a way us fans can measure.
I agree. Considering that Max is consistently faster than Checo, and they have throttled their engines, then maybe Red Bull and Mercedes can be even faster than McLaren. But we'll find out in qualifying. And it could be rainy, which will mess up everything.

_cerber1

F3 cannot hold the raсe due to rain, and the forecast does not promise an improvement in conditions on the track. Can they cancel the qualification and arrange the cars according to the results of the second training session? I'm also not sure about a full race tomorrow, the promise a lot of water on the track.

chrisc90

_cerber1 wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 10:40
F3 cannot hold the raсe due to rain, and the forecast does not promise an improvement in conditions on the track. Can they cancel the qualification and arrange the cars according to the results of the second training session? I'm also not sure about a full race tomorrow, the promise a lot of water on the track.
I believe its the order from FP3. (or FP1 if its a sprint quali)
b) Drivers will be considered to be “unclassified” in the following circumstances:

i) If they got eliminated in Q1 or SQ1 and their best session lap exceeded 107% of the
fastest time set during that session, unless the track was declared wet by the Race
Director.

ii) If they failed to set a time in Q1 or SQ1, or if all their laps were deleted
iii) If they got disqualified by the Stewards from the Qualifying session or sprint shootout

The relative classification of such drivers will be determined as follows:
- Drivers who are unclassified because of conditions (i) or (ii) will be allocated
the top positions in accordance with the order they were classified in P3 (or,
in the case a Sprint Session is scheduled, P1)
- Drivers who are unclassified because of condition (iii) will be allocated the
lower positions in accordance with the order they were classified in P3 (or, in
the case a Sprint Session is scheduled, P1)

mwillems

They have, in the past, qualified on a Sunday, if I recall correctly.

-Bandit

organic

Don't think there's any risk of qualifying not happening today. Fp3 could be at risk of postponement though

mwillems

But rain should be easing off at 1 and gone by 3

-Bandit