2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

BassVirolla wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 19:45
diffuser wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 18:19
Big Tea wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 16:06

The worst thing for a youngster would be to go to an unstable team. He will have enough problems adapting if everyone else is happily doing their thing, fitting in amongst chaos will not help him at all.
Let's not get carried away with calling this Chaos. If Otmar does come onboard, then Rossi has been planning this for 9 Months. It unfortunate what's happenned with Prost but he's also prooved to me that Rossi was right for reducing his access. He's shown that he isn't to be trusted as he lashes out like a scroned lad.
I don't think that he lashed out. If asked in an interview, he has all right to answer. And, tome, he did in quite a polite manner, for someone given the boot after so many years involved in the company in a non responsibly / accountant mode.

If someone with more technical / management responsability does poorly and gets fired, that's right (it's needed, in fact). For a not binding consultancy and team public image, Prost could be very useful, if you, as an structure manager, know how to handle it. In fact, his main point is to be badly set aside, to the point Rossi was even not saying good morning.

After all what we are knowing, I still think that Alpine F1 team is a company were could be very toxic to work. Looks like it's getting more and more like a Ron Dennis McLaren, but without the McLaren team career results.
He should not have answer any of those questions. He should have acted like he still worked there.

It could be but it could also be a excellent place to work. All the changes are upper management . Fry down hasn't changed on the chassis side. On the PU side, the 3 guys that reported to Taffin are still in charge.

Again Rossi is new, he's gonna want "his team" in place. None of these people are HIS people. As far as Prost is concerned, forget that he thinks he's more important than Alpine and wanted to be consulted on changes. Rossi basically said that he was the Boss and Prost was a figure head. Prost didn't like it. They already have Alonso, why do they need Prost too?

BassVirolla

diffuser wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 20:47
BassVirolla wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Let's not get carried away with calling this Chaos. If Otmar does come onboard, then Rossi has been planning this for 9 Months. It unfortunate what's happenned with Prost but he's also prooved to me that Rossi was right for reducing his access. He's shown that he isn't to be trusted as he lashes out like a scroned lad.
I don't think that he lashed out. If asked in an interview, he has all right to answer. And, tome, he did in quite a polite manner, for someone given the boot after so many years involved in the company in a non responsibly / accountant mode.

If someone with more technical / management responsability does poorly and gets fired, that's right (it's needed, in fact). For a not binding consultancy and team public image, Prost could be very useful, if you, as an structure manager, know how to handle it. In fact, his main point is to be badly set aside, to the point Rossi was even not saying good morning.

After all what we are knowing, I still think that Alpine F1 team is a company were could be very toxic to work. Looks like it's getting more and more like a Ron Dennis McLaren, but without the McLaren team career results.
He should not have answer any of those questions. He should have acted like he still worked there.

It could be but it could also be a excellent place to work. All the changes are upper management . Fry down hasn't changed on the chassis side. On the PU side, the 3 guys that reported to Taffin are still in charge.

Again Rossi is new, he's gonna want "his team" in place. None of these people are HIS people. As far as Prost is concerned, forget that he thinks he's more important than Alpine and wanted to be consulted on changes. Rossi basically said that he was the Boss and Prost was a figure head. Prost didn't like it. They already have Alonso, why do they need Prost too?
Good point. Still, I think that the situation has been poorly managed.

fritticaldi

Zynerji wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 21:51
fritticaldi wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 20:21
Szafnauer is arriving and BWT sponsor as well. More pink livery on Alpine
Rose pink and Alpine blue might be pretty snazzy! 😍
Maybe something like the 1989 Moneytron Onyx ?

Zynerji

fritticaldi wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 22:42
Zynerji wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 21:51
fritticaldi wrote:
17 Jan 2022, 20:21
Szafnauer is arriving and BWT sponsor as well. More pink livery on Alpine
Rose pink and Alpine blue might be pretty snazzy! 😍
Maybe something like the 1989 Moneytron Onyx ?
For sure! Albeit with some modern graphical talent doing the layout. The yellow(front view), black(side view) paint scheme from a few years ago might be magic with this combination!

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

BassVirolla

If the power is good enough, Alpine still can make reliability modifications during the engine freeze. Not a bad place to be, if they have pushed the boundaries in the power front.

diffuser

BassVirolla wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 04:08
If the power is good enough, Alpine still can make reliability modifications during the engine freeze. Not a bad place to be, if they have pushed the boundaries in the power front.
Agreed!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 17:47
Not sure why some people are surprised. As I said before, Rossi was hired in January 2021 to run Alpine. It's only natural that he's gonna hire his own people.

If he bring Otmar and Austrian water sponsor BWT, that will give an influx of Money. It will likely increase Alpine's budget right to the CAP edge, I hope.

Win/Win as far as I'm concerned.
Alpine (Renault) were actually already operating above the current budget cap, they were the 4th team with the largest budget as of 2 seasons ago… I don’t think meeting the budget cap was an issue.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
BassVirolla wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I disagree that Prost shouldn’t have answered those questions… If as stated, he declined to renew his contract in December and it was agreed that it would be communicated jointly at a certain date, the fact that it was leaked doesn’t speak well for Rossi and “his team”, that negotiating (and outcome) with Prost was and should have been known to be a very small circle of people, if it got leaked it was on purpose… There was no reason for it… Prost is just reacting to it and he is in within his right to do so.

Even though I agree that Rossi would eventually bring his own team to manage Alpine, a good leader will listen to the people in place, even if you disagree with them or outright don’t like them… Excluding someone in the position that Prost had from conversations and (if true) not even having manners to say good morning, not only shows lacks of respect and manners, but also a narcissistic and arrogant position… Those type of actions are experienced by the rest of the team and that doesn’t create a positive culture in within the Team.

Zak also made several changes in McLaren when he joined, but he managed those changes in a way that not only respected those that left, it also had a positive impact on the team’s culture, morale and motivation.

Scalexf1
Scalexf1

The only guy so far who managed to run the Renault team and deal with the politics inherent with the french Renault group, and make the team successful was Flávio.
He was flamboyant but his management style appeared to bring stability to the Renault operation.
The new boss is still cleaning house and putting everything in order, perhaps he is actually acting correctly and just not renewing contracts. That way the people who are being moved out are not being fired.
Let’s give him time and see what happens.
Prost appears to be upset, but he has already had his opportunity to run his own team, and now as a consultant. Maybe he is just a really great driver and no more.

stan_french
stan_french

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 06:06
diffuser wrote:
Not sure why some people are surprised. As I said before, Rossi was hired in January 2021 to run Alpine. It's only natural that he's gonna hire his own people.

If he bring Otmar and Austrian water sponsor BWT, that will give an influx of Money. It will likely increase Alpine's budget right to the CAP edge, I hope.

Alpine (Renault) were actually already operating above the current budget cap, they were the 4th team with the largest budget as of 2 seasons ago… I don’t think meeting the budget cap was an issue.
Didn't budkowski say in december that alpine wasn't actually operating at the budget cap?

Jolle
Jolle

stan_french wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 11:36
SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 06:06
diffuser wrote:

Didn't budkowski say in december that alpine wasn't actually operating at the budget cap?
That was before they had to buy out some contracts 🙈

But in all seriousness, in those phase of the year, you won’t get an honest quote from any of the teams about performance, investments etc.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 06:18
diffuser wrote:
BassVirolla wrote:

I disagree that Prost shouldn’t have answered those questions… If as stated, he declined to renew his contract in December and it was agreed that it would be communicated jointly at a certain date, the fact that it was leaked doesn’t speak well for Rossi and “his team”, that negotiating (and outcome) with Prost was and should have been known to be a very small circle of people, if it got leaked it was on purpose… There was no reason for it… Prost is just reacting to it and he is in within his right to do so.

Even though I agree that Rossi would eventually bring his own team to manage Alpine, a good leader will listen to the people in place, even if you disagree with them or outright don’t like them… Excluding someone in the position that Prost had from conversations and (if true) not even having manners to say good morning, not only shows lacks of respect and manners, but also a narcissistic and arrogant position… Those type of actions are experienced by the rest of the team and that doesn’t create a positive culture in within the Team.

Zak also made several changes in McLaren when he joined, but he managed those changes in a way that not only respected those that left, it also had a positive impact on the team’s culture, morale and motivation.
Who will hire Prost now that he's gone off and shot off his mouth like that? You don't see Budkowski running off his mouth?

As far as the "the good morning" eta stuff. We only have Prost's opinion on that. As far as we know, everyone at Alpine might have thrown a party when they found out Prost wasn't coming back.

I'm pretty sure that whatever Prost had to say, the Renault board have heard from him. They haven't acted on it, so, they've dismissed him...Now he didn't accept the contract and he's all upset cause there wasn't a joint release that he wasn't returning? If he was a big lover of Alpine, what's he trying to change by going to the media?

At the end of the day, none of this matters if they win on track.

There was an interview with Budkowski in 2021 where he said they were near the cap but not at it yet.

Jolle
Jolle

diffuser wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 14:56
SmallSoldier wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Who will hire Prost now that he's gone off and shot off his mouth like that? You don't see Budkowski running off his mouth?

As far as the "the good morning" eta stuff. We only have Prost's opinion on that. As far as we know, everyone at Alpine might have thrown a party when they found out Prost wasn't coming back.

I'm pretty sure that whatever Prost had to say, the Renault board have heard from him. They haven't acted on it, so, they've dismissed him...Now he didn't accept the contract and he's all upset cause there wasn't a joint release that he wasn't returning? If he was a big lover of Alpine, what's he trying to change by going to the media?

There was an interview with Budkowski in 2021 where he said they were near the cap but not at it yet.
Prost and Lauda are/were very alike. Not only their career path, succes and ways they dealt with the teams they drove but also in their second career as team boss, advisers and chairmen. Both never stuck to protocol that you stay silent. Lauda was very vocal about his time as a Ferrari advisor and later Jaguar team boss. Prost was very clear how Ferrari should have been operating when he drove there (and what they implemented after his departure).
Before Lauda was one of the important faces at Mercedes, hailed for his honesty and straight up politics, he had multiple run-ins like this.

I can see Prost return in a similar position at McLaren for instance.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
20 Jan 2022, 14:56
SmallSoldier wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Just giving a different perspective to the situation… We both are making a ton of assumptions on this since we are not part of what happens internally… Nevertheless, leaking Prost departure is in fact at a minimum clumsy and most probably deliberate.

In regards to Prost having a hard time to “find a job” after “speaking out”, I think is a non-issue for him… He is an ex-F1 driver, he was part of the Renault Team in a very big part based on nostalgia and at his age I’m sure he isn’t actively looking for a job… He isn’t the up and comer in F1, he is 66 years old… If anything, the fact that he didn’t accept a new contract shows that he doesn’t “need” a job.