F2 2024 (AKA: Antonelli Watch)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
stonehenge
stonehenge

Re: F2 2024 (AKA: Antonelli Watch)

What an impressive race by Antonelli. Yes, you could say he got a little lucky with the Safety Car, but don't forget that he was punished by the first Safety Car, otherwise, he would've been a contender for the win as well. He was the fastest on the hard compounds and the fastest on the softs, too.

I also noticed that his tire management has been improving recently. Yes, he completely destroyed the softs in the sprint, but it was clearly the wrong tire to begin with. And he seems to have really incorporated the lessons learned from yesterday into today's race. Super impressive!

Dunlay
Dunlay

He gives young Kimi Raikkonen vibes than Young Lewis or Young Max vibes. Someone that wants to mind his own business than elbows out harakiri.

Mogster

Impressive drive from the lad. He’s been quick all weekend.

mvfad

JordanMugen wrote:
21 Jul 2024, 11:16
It would seem Antonelli has at least some talent? :?:
He is definitely a very good driver.
But so far he hasn't shown anything exceptional (that may change in the future, but today he's a very good driver and nothing more). And F2 is full of "very good drivers", also including the last two champions.

People are having a "party" because of a win that relies much more on luck than anything else. He was on new soft tires, while everyone in front was on used (~15 laps old) hard tires with 10 laps left in the race. Look at Vershoor with the same strategy, in the worst team in the championship he jumped from p10 to p3 after the SC.

JordanMugen

Paul Aron takes a commanding Spa pole!

How come Aron is not rated as F1 quality? :?:

mvfad

Aron was very lucky to get Hitech, which was an average/bad team until yesterday and is now among the top three teams in the championship (maybe thanks to the change of cars). Drugovich was similarly lucky with MP.

I say he was lucky because he paid for a seat in a weak car/team and got a top car/team. The price of Hitech's seat is expected to increase considerably in the coming year.

Aron is having an excellent championship, he just needs to win races to consolidate his great season.

Sevach
Sevach

mvfad wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 17:12
Aron was very lucky to get Hitech, which was an average/bad team until yesterday and is now among the top three teams in the championship (maybe thanks to the change of cars). Drugovich was similarly lucky with MP.

I say he was lucky because he paid for a seat in a weak car/team and got a top car/team. The price of Hitech's seat is expected to increase considerably in the coming year.

Aron is having an excellent championship, he just needs to win races to consolidate his great season.
Drugovich is in Invicta not MP.
These 2 guys have been consistently at the sharp end despite being rookies and deserve their flowers.

mvfad

Sevach wrote:
26 Jul 2024, 22:33
Drugovich is in Invicta not MP.
These 2 guys have been consistently at the sharp end despite being rookies and deserve their flowers.
Maybe you're confusing Drugo with Bortoleto.

Drugovich drove for MP in 2020 and 2022 (he only stayed in Invicta in 2021, which was the worst year of his career). He paid for a seat on a mid-team in 2020 and got a top-team in 2022 when he returned to MP at the request of MP's chief engineer who gave him a huge discount on that seat to return to the team.

Sevach
Sevach

Oh yeah true.

organic

falonso81

They red flagged the f2 sprint race. I can not understand. The track was barely wet when they were running around behind the safety car after a car was stranded on track, then they decided it was too wet to go racing. I have seen wetter races where cars run on slicks, than this one today...

mvfad

falonso81 wrote:
27 Jul 2024, 21:38
They red flagged the f2 sprint race. I can not understand. The track was barely wet when they were running around behind the safety car after a car was stranded on track, then they decided it was too wet to go racing. I have seen wetter races where cars run on slicks, than this one today...
I think it was because there wasn't enough visibility for the helicopter to take off. At least that was the excuse given by the race director, whether it's true or not I don't know.

JordanMugen

I didn't realise Hadjar is only 19.

Was Hadjar impressive in karting? I wonder why Hadjar is not in F1 contention? :?:

mvfad

JordanMugen wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 11:00
I didn't realise Hadjar is only 19.
Was Hadjar impressive in karting? I wonder why Hadjar is not in F1 contention? :?:
Nope.
Hadjar doesn't have a great track record in the F1 feeder series. He's never been champion, but he had a good debut year in F3, finishing fourth in the championship with a team that wasn't among the best. On the other hand, his debut year in F2 was pretty bad, scoring only 55 points with 1 podium, and finishing behind his teammate Crawford (also a rookie who had 5 podiums and 1 win)

But he's loved by Helmut Marko, so it's very likely that he'll get his chance in F1 sooner or later.

erudite450
erudite450

Why's no one talking about Bortoleto? Dude's been super consistent and reigning F3 champion. That said, I think he needs a standout drive.