2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Mark reckons Mclaren and Red bull are running more rear wing with an eye on race pace.
Russell thinks they are still a tenth or 2 behind Max and Lando

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... e-f1-pole/
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

BMMR61 wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 20:53
I'm sick of people bashing our drivers. Tricky conditions, the team let them down (again) with this very basic error for their final run. From the other side of the world I could see they needed two lap tyre prep else they wouldn't improve their times. Oscar left the pits with less than 2 minutes to go - come ON! This should have been a front row lockout for papaya. When you have the fastest car and you keep not maximising he result you just throw away the opportunity you've worked five years for. Nevertheless, it's time to sit back and enjoy the fact we are now fighting for wins and podiums every weekend.
Perhaps all Mclaren needs to do is bring a good upgrade that will solve the remaining issues. After all nothing will matter if we develop a car that will be way superior to the competition.

Emag
Emag

Sure, all McLaren has to do is bring a car that is 1 second faster than everyone else. I mean how hard can that be really.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 22:11
Sure, all McLaren has to do is bring a car that is 1 second faster than everyone else. I mean how hard can that be really.
Some people will complain until that happens.

But, we have to say that McLaren needs to be perfect as the gaps are so small. I haven't analyzed Lando's lap but Piastri had his compromised by leaving the pits too late (one mistake). Norris lap probably is another mistake - if you want to look at it super critical, was this another Norris qualy mistake? The gaps are super small, operational excellence is required.

Going higher on downforce seems to make sense for me. I am completely happy with that decision.

Emag
Emag

FittingMechanics wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 22:34
Emag wrote:

But, we have to say that McLaren needs to be perfect as the gaps are so small. I haven't analyzed Lando's lap but Piastri had his compromised by leaving the pits too late (one mistake). Norris lap probably is another mistake - if you want to look at it super critical, was this another Norris qualy mistake? The gaps are super small, operational excellence is required.

Going higher on downforce seems to make sense for me. I am completely happy with that decision.
I guess it would be unfair to judge it halfway, but given the performance of the car, this has been one of the weakest seasons for Lando since 2019 from a personal perspective.

Several mistakes on critical moments, slightly off pace on two tracks he could have gotten a win had he been on pole (Imola & Monaco). Starts in general have been poor, especially when he has started P1 (China sprint & Barcelona).

And I could keep going.

If that safety car had not come for him in Miami, we would be looking at an extremely agitated Lando by now, with at least 2 (arguably more) wins gone mostly by his own doing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

This was the view at T6 during Piastri's 2nd run of Q3 (Sainz is the car ahead). Just to underline how compromised his 2nd lap was. It was a write off lap.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 22:41

I guess it would be unfair to judge it halfway, but given the performance of the car, this has been one of the weakest seasons for Lando since 2019 from a personal perspective.

Several mistakes on critical moments, slightly off pace on two tracks he could have gotten a win had he been on pole (Imola & Monaco). Starts in general have been poor, especially when he has started P1 (China sprint & Barcelona).

And I could keep going.

If that safety car had not come for him in Miami, we would be looking at an extremely agitated Lando by now, with at least 2 (arguably more) wins gone mostly by his own doing.
When you look at it that way, definitely good that he got that win out of the way. I haven't considered that.

We can look at this like a good learning season for him and the team. Hopefully they can keep up this development and start 2025 with a car capable of wins. I am very concerned about new rules, I think someone will get it very right and we'll get a boring couple of seasons.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Emag wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
Emag wrote:

And I could keep going.

I think Lando's qualifying has been better than last year and people forget the McLaren is still difficult to drive even if it's fast. Drivability hasn't been tackled, and just last week Lando was saying he's not been comfortable in the car. I bet Oscar would be outqualifying most of the grid, too. The fact that they're close makes them both look bad.
His race pace is second to none, and his Sundays are very consistent for the most part.
I do think his starts could use some work, but his reaction times during starts are consistently among the best. It's the second phase that's always lacking.
It's the first time in his career he's had a winning car, but it's not a dominant car at all, and it's the best only in specific conditions (low fuel, tracks where you need tyre management. It's not good in straights, the DRS is inefficient, etc). He can definitely improve, but he's been very consistent all season considering the context.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
Emag wrote:

And I could keep going.

Fair assessment.
Think I might have said it before but it’s mission complete for the season in my eyes for Lando. Just get that win so it’s not a burden and then what ever happens for the rest of the season is a learning curve.
As you know both he and McLaren need to learn and experience the new challenges that comes with a race winning car and expectations.
Last edited by CjC on 06 Jul 2024, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Weakest season for Lando? Err...

Lucky with the safety car in Miami, unlucky with the safety car in Canada. Monaco the Ferrari had it, Austria he was fighting and those things happen. Imola warms closed but never really a chance.

The Mclaren is good, but the Red Bull hadn't become bad, and is still very fast and better in many ways. The Mclaren hadn't jumped ahead, it's on a par at best.

Qualifying has generally been pretty good, and no real mess ups like before. He's been very very consistent.

Could ge have won again, yes. Should he have won, no races when he was clearly going to win that he threw away.

Any criticism is just done for the sake of being critical. He has been the stand out driver this year.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
Emag wrote:

And I could keep going.

Well, you're a pessimist. To say such a thing, comparing it to 2019. Wow. And this is taking into account that Lando has been driving well and consistently since the beginning of the season. But only the lack of victories and some kind of mistakes reminds one of 2019?

mwillems

DragonSGC wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 17:16
Piastri didnt mess up his lap it was close getting to the line with the aston and ferrari, They wouldn't have had proper spacing on their hotlaps. Just looked at lando's on board, he had a similar moment in T4 like verstappen, bit of wheelspin and then last corner of maggots and becketts onto the hangar straight hes a little too wide onto the curb, suspect he cooked his rears in T4 and never got it back.
Yes Oscar was in dirty air, or at least he was way too close at the finish line, about 2 to 3 seconds behind the previous fast lap finisher. Poor execution from the team there, there was clearly the pace to be higher up the order. Following in the high speeds will cost a lot.

Not sure what happened to Lando though, I imagine there might have been a mistake.

But I also think that the yellow S1s across the board might be down to poor tyre warm ups in the rush. Merc seem to get more heat, hence more race deg, and this helped them get a good S1.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 10:46
DragonSGC wrote:
06 Jul 2024, 17:16
Piastri didnt mess up his lap it was close getting to the line with the aston and ferrari, They wouldn't have had proper spacing on their hotlaps. Just looked at lando's on board, he had a similar moment in T4 like verstappen, bit of wheelspin and then last corner of maggots and becketts onto the hangar straight hes a little too wide onto the curb, suspect he cooked his rears in T4 and never got it back.
Yes Oscar was in dirty air, or at least he was way too close at the finish line, about 2 to 3 seconds behind the previous fast lap finisher. Poor execution from the team there, there was clearly the pace to be higher up the order. Following in the high speeds will cost a lot.

Not sure what happened to Lando though, I imagine there might have been a mistake.

But I also think that the yellow S1s across the board might be down to poor tyre warm ups in the rush. Merc seem to get more heat, hence more race deg, and this helped them get a good S1.
Max and Landos yellow S1 were due to both of them being undecided if they wanted their front tyres or their rear tyres to hit the apex first :lol:

CjC
CjC

Ok so the story of my life here. Current forecast for Silverstone is for heavy rain right now- just watching the F2 feature race and they are on slicks on a dry track :lol:

Emag
Emag

LionsHeart wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 08:12
Emag wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

And I could keep going.

Well, you're a pessimist. To say such a thing, comparing it to 2019. Wow. And this is taking into account that Lando has been driving well and consistently since the beginning of the season. But only the lack of victories and some kind of mistakes reminds one of 2019?
Alright then, humor me this.

Objectively speaking, which one from 2020, 2021, 2022 & 2023 do you think was worse than 2024 for Lando?

And answer based on relative performances of the car he had under him on that respective season, not purely on results.