Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

Re: Honda Power Unit

alexa wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 08:58
Honda to bring new engine to post-Bahrain GP test
McLaren Honda has serious shortcomings in a new engine completely remodeled after the failure of the engines of 2015 and 2016. At Honda are working piecewise to get the key and provide powerful and reliable engines thus achieving an immediate increase in performance in The MCL32.

We have discovered through the Japanese motorsport portal that Honda will carry a large engine update for the Bahrain test in just one week.

The news reported Yusuke Hasegawa, indicating the level of improvement of the engine compared to the previous specification where they expect to take a giant step with respect to performance and reliability.

"We are scheduled to take the test after the Bahrain GP an improved engine with more power and reliability, however we will be cautious about its final implementation in the car," says the Japanese.

Yusuke Hasegawa knows that the car made by McLaren is good, and a good car needs an engine up to the level as everyone knows, but it will not win.

"McLaren has done a great job with the car, now we just need to finish qualifying certain problems with the engine and we will win," he says.

After the Chinese Grand Prix, Hasegawa listened to his drivers and they showed signs of hope for reliability, although one of the headaches is the ease with which the Honda engine loses energy and later, it costs him to recover.

"Our top speeds show that we are not competitive," the drivers told us. We need more power to get ahead but it also influences lap time, "explains Hasegawa.

The Japanese announce that they want to win and they need it . With each future update is expected to get ahead and fight for important things now that the tokens are not in Formula 1.

"We want to win now, we are tired of not being able to celebrate victories. In future updates we plan to take steps forward as the new concept of engine allows us a large improvement mattress, "ends the chief engineer.

It seems that Yusuke Hasegawa brings new and important news and has to do with the engines. Honda will take to the test of Bahrain a new concept of engine that will be a step ahead in performance thanks to the possibility of using more power.
google translate

http://www.thebestf1.es/honda-llevara-u ... e-bahrein/
Waiting for their performance, this is what I want to see Honda, punch the table and say "Here we are !!!"

superdowg316

JuanjoTS wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 11:07
alexa wrote:
McLaren Honda has serious shortcomings in a new engine completely remodeled after the failure of the engines of 2015 and 2016. At Honda are working piecewise to get the key and provide powerful and reliable engines thus achieving an immediate increase in performance in The MCL32.

We have discovered through the Japanese motorsport portal that Honda will carry a large engine update for the Bahrain test in just one week.

The news reported Yusuke Hasegawa, indicating the level of improvement of the engine compared to the previous specification where they expect to take a giant step with respect to performance and reliability.

"We are scheduled to take the test after the Bahrain GP an improved engine with more power and reliability, however we will be cautious about its final implementation in the car," says the Japanese.

Yusuke Hasegawa knows that the car made by McLaren is good, and a good car needs an engine up to the level as everyone knows, but it will not win.

"McLaren has done a great job with the car, now we just need to finish qualifying certain problems with the engine and we will win," he says.

After the Chinese Grand Prix, Hasegawa listened to his drivers and they showed signs of hope for reliability, although one of the headaches is the ease with which the Honda engine loses energy and later, it costs him to recover.

"Our top speeds show that we are not competitive," the drivers told us. We need more power to get ahead but it also influences lap time, "explains Hasegawa.

The Japanese announce that they want to win and they need it . With each future update is expected to get ahead and fight for important things now that the tokens are not in Formula 1.

"We want to win now, we are tired of not being able to celebrate victories. In future updates we plan to take steps forward as the new concept of engine allows us a large improvement mattress, "ends the chief engineer.

It seems that Yusuke Hasegawa brings new and important news and has to do with the engines. Honda will take to the test of Bahrain a new concept of engine that will be a step ahead in performance thanks to the possibility of using more power.
google translate

Waiting for their performance, this is what I want to see Honda, punch the table and say "Here we are !!!"
It's good to see that they have already come up with (hopefully) some solutions to the problems plaguing the engine at the moment and it's good to see that they're ready to test it already in the season. My only concern is that if they find that the engine is improved and implement it for Sochi, it's already Engine #2 of 4, and that means it'll have to run until the British Grand Prix in order to remain on engine schedule. So would it be better to run Sochi and Barcelona with the current settings for longevity or should they gamble getting seven races out of the new spec if it's useful?
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

I like the 'win' attitude, but we have had so many pep talks by now. I just hope this new engine doesn't waste more testing time.

loner

the current PU is just a stop gap until the 2017 PU is ready they are working on it since late December
if its ready for Sochi it must race regardless of the 4 PU rule its useless because you are not going anywhere with the stop gap PU, take whatever penalty but be respectable.
para bellum.

KingHamilton01

loner wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 12:49
the current PU is just a stop gap until the 2017 PU is ready they are working on it since late December
if its ready for Sochi it must race regardless of the 4 PU rule its useless because you are not going anywhere with the stop gap PU, take whatever penalty but be respectable.
Yeah I agree, they are not going to learn anything unless they race it, will also speed up the process of fixing any fault's they might encounter with it.
McLaren Mercedes

Redragon

If the new engine is making them to be on top of midfield quali as race, what's the point to wait two races?

Right now they quali between 13 to 20th and might finish in points for two races, with new engine you are penalise once so you have the change to be up there on the second one. What you loose in two races not to be penalised you recover in one race by been penalised (if the engine is as promised).

dren

godlameroso wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 06:14
gruntguru wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 05:43
godlameroso wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 01:41
I suppose, however this comes from the horses mouth so to speak.
I hadn't heard that before. Where did it come from?
An email from someone.

"We are running the power unit so rich right now in order to keep things together, it's at least de-tuned by 80hp. Again so frustrating"
Rich and lean are relative. The leaner the main mixture, the more unstable the combustion. If their TJI system isn't working as designed, they'd be forced to run the mixture richer for more stable combustion. It doesn't mean they are running rich in the general sense; it's probably still pretty lean.
Honda!

dren

gruntguru wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 00:55
IMO at every engine speed, there will be a mapped operating point for WOT. At some particular speed (about 11,000?) the efficiency will be optimal and maximum power will be produced. At any other speed - whether 8,000 or 15,000 - a WOT command from the driver will see maximum fuel delivered. Anything less would produce less torque/power. Boost would be mapped to whatever value produces best total (crank + MGUH) output.
I'd assume they have curves optimized for different variables depending on the desired output. There might be a time when you desire max crank power and MGUH output doesn't matter, like in qualifying.

Since there is lift and coasting, I wonder if they really have many pedal/torque demand curves. Probably one for wet and one for dry? Or maybe there is a 1-10 setting that linearly moves between the two extremes?

Are these maps detailed enough to know what corners of what tracks they are in and adjusting the ERS accordingly? I don't see why that wouldn't be possible given the variables the ECU would have to work with. Based on simulations, it's probably able to fairly accurately estimate where on track the car is at all times.
Honda!

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

superdowg316 wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 12:40
JuanjoTS wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 11:07
alexa wrote:

google translate

It's good to see that they have already come up with (hopefully) some solutions to the problems plaguing the engine at the moment and it's good to see that they're ready to test it already in the season. My only concern is that if they find that the engine is improved and implement it for Sochi, it's already Engine #2 of 4, and that means it'll have to run until the British Grand Prix in order to remain on engine schedule. So would it be better to run Sochi and Barcelona with the current settings for longevity or should they gamble getting seven races out of the new spec if it's useful?
My opinion is that they should not look to comply with the maximum use of engines or worry about the penalties, should use this season to prepare the car and attack in the next.
I would not expect or after the Bahrain GP, ​​I would prove it in FP1 and FP2, if it works I would introduce it to the Bahrain Grand Prix.

godlameroso

JonoNic wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 09:27
Hey guys. I remember reading here somewhere that generating heat is the main source of recovering electrical energy. If so, which would generate more heat? Based on the rev range will it be max torque or max power? Or are they not related?

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk
Power is a function of torque and engine speed, a flat torque curve over the engine speed range makes power increase nearly exponentially. Power ~ torque in ft lbs times engine rpm over 5252. So 400ft lbs of torque at 1,000rpm is 76ish horsepower but 760ish at 10,000rpm.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Redragon wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 13:15
If the new engine is making them to be on top of midfield quali as race, what's the point to wait two races?

Right now they quali between 13 to 20th and might finish in points for two races, with new engine you are penalise once so you have the change to be up there on the second one. What you loose in two races not to be penalised you recover in one race by been penalised (if the engine is as promised).
No penalty until 5th power unit components.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

alexa wrote:

google translate

Rendimiento is not mattress, silly Google translator. :) it means pace.
Saishū kōnā

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

So many items seemingly conflicting. They haven't cured the vibration issue but there is a power upgrade for Bahrain test. Are the two mutually exlusive?

Update for test suggests it's not race ready yet.
Last edited by fellowhoodlums on 11 Apr 2017, 14:40, edited 2 times in total.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

godlameroso wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 13:44
Redragon wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 13:15

No penalty until 5th power unit components.
I'd take the hit. A back of grid penalty in a race carefully chosen will be worth it if the update provides performance and reliability.

Would anyone want to run 13th or DNF for two races compared to fighting in top 10 knowing that maybe later in the season one race you start from the back. I'd take the risk and do it asap. One caveat, he does say the word "concept", not sure if that's a translation thing because that implies that it's not ready yet and so maybe it is Spain for the final solution?

Chene_Mostert

HPD wrote:
11 Apr 2017, 15:20
This video corresponds more to the subject of the chassis.. But the fanaticism of some users, would cause to sink the video. With apologies to the administrator I upload the video here

Comparative hamilton vs alonso - corner by corner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLyHr5b ... be&t=6m17s

Losing 1.27 seconds on the straights combined
Losing 0.29 seconds in braking
Losing 0.67 seconds in high speed corners
Losing 0.46 seconds in remaining corners
The font on the measurement title slides don't quite fit in with the whole gaming theme. Overall gives the impression of a couple of teenage gaming geeks having some fun. Totally useless comparison. At this point in time it would be better to compare Alonso to the person starting just ahead of him.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake