Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

Why they call the colour of the car Grey or gray ???? I see a little different name ... more apropro

Ain't got no regrets
I ain't losin' track of which way I'm going
I ain't gonna double back
Don't want no misplay, put on no display
An angel no, but I know my way, oh yeah, oh

I used to follow, yeah, that's true
But my following days are over
Now I just gotta follow through
And I remember what my father said
He said, "Son, life is simple, it's either cherry red or

Midnight blue, oh
Midnight blue, oh"

Now things could be different, that'd be a shame 'cause
I'm the one who can feel the sun right in the pouring rain
I won't say where and I don't know when
But soon there's gonna come a day baby, I'll be back again
Midnight blue, oh
Into the midnight blue, oh
Can't leave this midnight blue, oh
Midnight blue, oh
Midnight blue, oh

Lou Gramm - Midnight Blue Lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cRdgIZgobs

kooleracer
kooleracer

Like Red Bull and Ferrari last year, McLaren has pressured Honda to make a tiny PU for aero dynamic gains. Ferrari has already rectified this issue for 2015. The new Formula is engine based, horsepower triumphs down force at the moment, because of the strict aero rules. Honda uses a smaller turbo just like Ferrari did last year. The Honda package is very aggressive but that is what McLaren asked them for that "zero" size concept. Mercedes took the sensible approach for max power and make changes as you go. I think Honda and McLaren have set themselves a target that is not achievable without data and experience. Honda and McLaren are still in testing mode, because the lack of understanding of the current package. Should have gone the Mercedes route and shrink the package during the season instead of trying to start with something that clearly to tightly packaged.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Redragon

Darren Heath is the best

windwaves
windwaves

bauc wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118950

Honda motorsport chief Yasuhisa Arai concedes he is a man under pressure as he attempts to recapture the engine manufacturer's previous glory days in Formula 1 with McLaren.

In a bold statement, though, Arai has not only predicted a podium finish will come before the British Grand Prix in early July, but the likelihood McLaren-Honda will be firmly challenging Mercedes by the end of the year, then dominating in the near future.

Arai's words are likely to raise eyebrows given McLaren has yet to score a point from five grands prix following a difficult start to its reunion with Honda, and he appreciates the spotlight is on him. (for the full text, follow the link above)

Wow, another bald statement from Arai......what you guys think on this?

Thanks.
I think this sort of predictions take lots of balls ! However, in his position he needs to remain optimistic, I would not blame him. Then I want to hope that it is not just about that, I do hope he has some good reason to aim that high.

diffuser

kooleracer wrote:Like Red Bull and Ferrari last year, McLaren has pressured Honda to make a tiny PU for aero dynamic gains. Ferrari has already rectified this issue for 2015. The new Formula is engine based, horsepower triumphs down force at the moment, because of the strict aero rules. Honda uses a smaller turbo just like Ferrari did last year. The Honda package is very aggressive but that is what McLaren asked them for that "zero" size concept. Mercedes took the sensible approach for max power and make changes as you go. I think Honda and McLaren have set themselves a target that is not achievable without data and experience. Honda and McLaren are still in testing mode, because the lack of understanding of the current package. Should have gone the Mercedes route and shrink the package during the season instead of trying to start with something that clearly to tightly packaged.

Yeah, I wouldn't believe that omnicourse article.
1- One of Ferrari's problems with the 2014 PU was the turbine was too small, that's not the case with the Honda PU.
2- The accusation that has been made about the Honda PU is that the compressor is in a tight spot,therefore, maybe too
small.

I don't believe the 2 issues are at all the same. The turbine is power generator, it drives both the compressor and the ERS-H. If it can't generate or maintain enough RPMS you loose both ERS-H power and compressor boost(this is what was happening to Ferrari last year).

The omnicourse article states that Honda are running their turbine at 125% the RPMS of Merc. Which if true, confirms they aren't having the same issues as Ferrari did last year.

Thunder

windwaves wrote:
I think this sort of predictions take lots of balls !

What prediciton do you mean? (for better understanding what my Point is read my post on the last page)
I agree with the rest of your Post but all is see is Autosport taking Arai's statement and turning it into a clickbait.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Moose
Moose

diffuser wrote:The omnicourse article states that Honda are running their turbine at 125% the RPMS of Merc. Which if true, confirms they aren't having the same issues as Ferrari did last year.
Yes and no - it depends where you measure "the issues Ferrari had last year". If you're saying "their problem was that they couldn't spin the compressor fast enough", and that that caused all the problems as knock on effects, then sure, that's accurate, and fair.

However, you could also argue that irrespective of cause, Ferrari's problems last year were not being able to generate enough ERS power, particularly through HERS. One possible explanation for McLaren's woes this year is that they aren't generating enough ERS power, particularly through HERS. Yes, that's potentially caused by a small compressor instead of a small turbine, but it's ultimately the same problem.

That said, I'm skeptical about this as the problem. I tend to agree with the crowd that says that McLaren are having to run everything in lower power modes simply because of thermal issues.

willmesquita

This is a race that never happened. We mixed Alonso 1st and Button last stints (our virtual driver AloBut) and compared with Kvyat and Sainz races:

Driver AloBut Kvyat Sainz
ALT* 1:34,040 1:34,272 1:34,293

Obviously, it is a big IF but shows potential for points.

*ALT = average lap time
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

mrluke
mrluke

diffuser wrote:
kooleracer wrote:Like Red Bull and Ferrari last year, McLaren has pressured Honda to make a tiny PU for aero dynamic gains. Ferrari has already rectified this issue for 2015. The new Formula is engine based, horsepower triumphs down force at the moment, because of the strict aero rules. Honda uses a smaller turbo just like Ferrari did last year. The Honda package is very aggressive but that is what McLaren asked them for that "zero" size concept. Mercedes took the sensible approach for max power and make changes as you go. I think Honda and McLaren have set themselves a target that is not achievable without data and experience. Honda and McLaren are still in testing mode, because the lack of understanding of the current package. Should have gone the Mercedes route and shrink the package during the season instead of trying to start with something that clearly to tightly packaged.

Yeah, I wouldn't believe that omnicourse article.
1- One of Ferrari's problems with the 2014 PU was the turbine was too small, that's not the case with the Honda PU.
2- The accusation that has been made about the Honda PU is that the compressor is in a tight spot,therefore, maybe too
small.

I don't believe the 2 issues are at all the same. The turbine is power generator, it drives both the compressor and the ERS-H. If it can't generate or maintain enough RPMS you loose both ERS-H power and compressor boost(this is what was happening to Ferrari last year).

The omnicourse article states that Honda are running their turbine at 125% the RPMS of Merc. Which if true, confirms they aren't having the same issues as Ferrari did last year.
If they are spinning at 125% of rpms that means their turbine is smaller than mercs.

Thunder

100 trouble free Laps and Loads of Data. They desperately needed that.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2015/te ... e-day-two/
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

diffuser

Moose wrote:
diffuser wrote:The omnicourse article states that Honda are running their turbine at 125% the RPMS of Merc. Which if true, confirms they aren't having the same issues as Ferrari did last year.
Yes and no - it depends where you measure "the issues Ferrari had last year". If you're saying "their problem was that they couldn't spin the compressor fast enough", and that that caused all the problems as knock on effects, then sure, that's accurate, and fair.

However, you could also argue that irrespective of cause, Ferrari's problems last year were not being able to generate enough ERS power, particularly through HERS. One possible explanation for McLaren's woes this year is that they aren't generating enough ERS power, particularly through HERS. Yes, that's potentially caused by a small compressor instead of a small turbine, but it's ultimately the same problem.

That said, I'm skeptical about this as the problem. I tend to agree with the crowd that says that McLaren are having to run everything in lower power modes simply because of thermal issues.
It's not the crowd, it's Arai saying that. I think that's one of the issue I had with that article, it was written with complete isolation from anything Arai has said.

I don't want to get tied up in semantics. IMHO, for 2 problems to be the same, the same solution should solve both issues. I don't thing we'll see a larger turbine on the Honda PU next year.

... You don't write for Omnicourse do you ?

diffuser

mrluke wrote: If they are spinning at 125% of rpms that means their turbine is smaller than mercs.
What I've read is the smaller a turbine the more exhaust bypasses the turbine and exits via the wastegate. As the name suggest, more exhaust you're not making use of.... So certainly smaller turbine isn't what we're getting out of this...

So maybe the load isn't as high from the HERS and/or Compressor. Which is what I believe. Axial Compressors require higher RPMS to generate the same boost and they're easier to spin...

So if this was true this is what I would believe is the cause.

Vasconia

Thunders wrote:100 trouble free Laps and Loads of Data. They desperately needed that.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2015/te ... e-day-two/
Relief is the word which comes to my mind after having seen this. 100 laps without any problem is more than what they have had so far. They have checked a lot of new components so I hope that we will see a great improvement in the next races.

But I am waiting to see this supposed "unlock" of the engine´s power becase if not, Canada will be an infernal race for Mclaren.

FW17

looks like Button is happy again.

windwaves
windwaves

Thunders wrote:
windwaves wrote:
I think this sort of predictions take lots of balls !

What prediciton do you mean? (for better understanding what my Point is read my post on the last page)
I agree with the rest of your Post but all is see is Autosport taking Arai's statement and turning it into a clickbait.

yes, I get you. Arai was probably not making real predictions .... but the article says what it says so I see your words of caution but no big deal really