2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I think we are well and truly in the days of wait and see, when it comes to upgrades. The team will no doubt be on tight turnarounds making sometimes late decisions on wether to bring something to a race.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

True, there is hardly any talk from Mclaren about when any potential updates will arrive because I don’t think they quite know themselves, they’ll plan to have something by a particular race but there’s always a chance it could arrive a race earlier which I think was the case with the new front wing in Austria
Just a fan's point of view

Macafangrskg
Macafangrskg

One thing that becoming apparent is that the team was a midfield team.And the strategies and the gambles and procedures was that of a team that has to try and steal a place or two with strategy.
But now the car has become title contender. So now we gone start to have a fundamental shift to the way the whole weekend procedures and strategies played out.
I think McLaren wasn't ready to be that good in 24.Our 5 year plan was for an occasionally win and regular podiums for 24 and charge for WCC in 25.
The team must mature fast enough to catch up with speed of the car

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

I must say, after hearing all the team radio from the weekend, re-visiting previous weekends from the last few years, specifically where hard decision were needed to be made, Will Joseph is not it.
He sounds indecisive, at times very much like panicking, lacking authority and assertiveness.
Many, many wrong decision across the years, going back to 2020, were made under his responsibility.
It is time to move on and strengthen this aspect of the team IMO.
It is probably a deeper problem than him, but a top driver with a top car needs a calming yet assertive voice in his ear, not afraid to make hard decision, while also over-ruling the driver.

P.S
That cover Hamilton/Verstappen discussion was as armature as it gets.
A good watch, Palmer's analysis:

Ben1980
Ben1980

Darth-Piekus

Hopefully we can get a significant upgrade in the following two races cause Mercedes is charging to the top like crazy.

Lucky
Lucky

The road to bring Adrian Newey to Maranello has become a very steep climb. The rumors that have emerged in recent days indicate Aston Martin and McLaren as the two possible future destinations of 'Genius', with the former currently being in an advantageous position.
The quietest negotiation so far has been that of McLaren. While in the case of Aston Martin Newey's visit to the new Silverstone headquarters made waves (which required all employees to leave for two hours), there are no signs that allow us to get an idea of ​​the depth of the talks with Zak Brawn and Andrea Stella.

There are those who claim that the negotiations have stalled, as well as those who believe that his former team could be the surprise ending to a saga that began three months ago and is destined to continue for another two. But it couldn't have been otherwise, given that at the center of the scene is the coach who has won the most in the history of Formula 1, a person who has been able to shift the technical balance for over three decades.
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-ne ... /10633955/

mwillems

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I am biased but I think McLaren makes most sense.

The team is doing well and Newey can be an ideas guy who spends most of his time on his yacht instead of having to turn Aston into a title contender while having a billionaire boss with a son driver.

He can have fun projects in Indycar or other McLaren racing teams (maybe a LMH project?).

Only benefit Aston has is that if Newey wants to do it all and take on a big challenge which may appeal to him but he is getting old. He is not building his Oyster for it to sit idle.

McL-H
McL-H

McLarenMor wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 13:45
I must say, after hearing all the team radio from the weekend, re-visiting previous weekends from the last few years, specifically where hard decision were needed to be made, Will Joseph is not it.
He sounds indecisive, at times very much like panicking, lacking authority and assertiveness.
Many, many wrong decision across the years, going back to 2020, were made under his responsibility.
It is time to move on and strengthen this aspect of the team IMO.
I agree. The team should move on from Joseph. If we want to win championships we need engineers that have the assertiveness to overrule our drivers. The team has all the intel. They should always consider the driver’s view, not unconditionally follow it.

The technical team has provided us with the best car and the team on track are not bringing in the results they deserve.

mwillems

It was a team decision, not one made by the engineer. They have people trackside and they have many people at the MTC getting data and running it through the computers, aided by AI and human input, to bring data and suggestions to several key people. Some of those sit next to Will Joseph, including Andreas Stella, who has already held his hands up.

Pointing the finger at someone because you think he isn't assertive enough is ridiculous.

Having an engineer going rogue and overuling other key decision makers when the TP doesnt is ridiculous.

The team are learning slowly how to make the right decisions and what the priority should be.

I said right away that the team are focussed too much on wins and what others are doing around them. And not what will get them to the end of the race the quickest. Including Lando and some of the greedy moves that lost position and potential wins.

Stella has said as much. They got greedy and worried too much about others.

None of this is Will Joseph's fault. It is a temporary team culture/reaction. They are very slow to acclimatise to be front runners. It's really dissapointing, for everyone.

There does seem to be a collective rush of blood to the head But it's a team issue that will be resolved and not by shouting "Off with his head" to the only voice you heard amongst dozens that you didnt.

For all you know he was following advice against his wishes.

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
13 Jul 2024, 14:08
It was a team decision, not one made by the engineer. They have people trackside and they have many people at the MTC getting data and running it through the computers, aided by AI and human input, to bring data and suggestions to several key people. Some of those sit next to Will Joseph, including Andreas Stella, who has already held his hands up.

Pointing the finger at someone because you think he isn't assertive enough is ridiculous.

Having an engineer going rogue and overuling other key decision makers when the TP doesnt is ridiculous.

The team are learning slowly how to make the right decisions and what the priority should be.

I said right away that the team are focussed too much on wins and what others are doing around them. And not what will get them to the end of the race the quickest. Including Lando and some of the greedy moves that lost position and potential wins.

None of this is Will Joseph's fault. It is a temporary team culture/reaction. They are very slow to acclimatise to be front runners. It's really dissapointing, for everyone.

There does seem to be a collective rush of blood to the head But it's a team issue that will be resolved and not by shouting "Off with his head" to the only voice you heard amongst dozens that you didnt.

This! =D> =D>
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

BMMR61

I must say the radio communications sounded pretty damning. Panicked, unclear, negative. Not to say that it can't be remedied by some heavy sessions discussing scenarios and decision making strategy. I fully get that a team culture of settling for points and driving to conservative deltas in order to get safe points without taking risks has created the crisis we have seen since we had a car realistically capable of winning.

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

Seems like Will Joseph has some burner accounts or some fans around here.
Go back and do the research, there are many videos with the entire team radio over the weekend, of many of them over the last few years.
He is sub-par at best. The data is the data, and how you present it is VERY important.
I am an engineer myself( Not an F1 team), we can do a lot, but at the end of the line there is one person presenting the information to the driver, in this case, Joseph.
The cover Ham/Ver conversation was the nail in the coffin, amaturish way of presenting information, and I am being generous.
He is not THE probalem, he is an integral part of it.
And again, it's all opinions, we are entitled to have different ones, no reason getting too emotional about it.

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
13 Jul 2024, 14:08

Well Said... =D> =D>