Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Ferrari SF-24

Double deck beam wing fitted, launch spec (AmuS). Most likely for wet sessions tomorrow, for the race a single piece element is a must

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

If the pics are right nice comparation.
I mean on SF24 previous vs Spa RW spec.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Spa FP2

sucof

The front wings of the Ferrari cars are lot less flexible vertically, than for example the Merc ones. Your clip shows this perfectly.

Flanker27
Flanker27

sucof wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 11:06
The front wings of the Ferrari cars are lot less flexible vertically, than for example the Merc ones. Your clip shows this perfectly.
agree.

Other teams are too much "clever" and Ferrari too honest?

K1Plus
K1Plus

Could a lack of flex on the front wing cause the understeer?

SICK AL SPEEDSHOP

Flanker27 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 20:41
sucof wrote:
agree.

I dont think so because it sounds like more flex or wobbling is more clever and less honest. under the rules and tests they are ok. teams usually test their stuff before they go on the track to be save. the only problem is the test. a static test on a race car to check flexible wings does make not so much sence. a dynamic test would be better but not easy to do at 360km/h or 100m/s in Monza, with and without DRS, or in corners like Eau Rouge, R130 and so on. they should be able to make a dynamic test on a full round of a course but how can teams develope correct parts on 50 or 60% WT models without testing in adult size on a track? everything is in motion also if we cant see it with an eye without special tools.

I would like to see all front wings in the same corner, especially of the RB20.

F1NAC

Sorry but from this slow motion we can see that he didn't attack that much kerbs which cause wobbling, and we cannot know if this was taken during prep lap what speeds were taken. I mean...

The point were flexing comes in hand occurs at high speeds on the straights were flaps kinda reduce angle of attack. What is the point of looking at them at low speed?

Farnborough
Farnborough

K1Plus wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 22:25
Could a lack of flex on the front wing cause the understeer?
Literally two edges to that, and good question.

With less flex inbuilt, then the choice of just how much wing to run becomes very difficult to fully resolve. Favouring front end bite with more flap will likely involve too much effect at the highest speed. Conversely, setting for absolute speed and bite will likely bring too little effect at much lower speed, resulting in understeer observations from driver. Hard to "have it all" in other words.

Now though, apply same to a very flexing (tipping backwards like MB) and you can give the driver much more aggressive low speed bite, quenching understeer, with less compromised maximum speed performance by the wing rotation tempering its aero effect at that higher velocity. "Having your cake and eating it" an old saying for this scenario.

That MB wing is moving very very substantially under similar loading/vibration conditions. Just look at how far the inner edge of top flap moves in relation to the fixed piece attached to the nose box structure.

Its a night and day different structure in comparison to this Ferrari one.

Farnborough
Farnborough

F1NAC wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 11:45
Sorry but from this slow motion we can see that he didn't attack that much kerbs which cause wobbling, and we cannot know if this was taken during prep lap what speeds were taken. I mean...

The point were flexing comes in hand occurs at high speeds on the straights were flaps kinda reduce angle of attack. What is the point of looking at them at low speed?
This shows the the relative structure used in that wing mounting/form/deformation characteristics built into each teams component.

The strategic use of high and low modulus fibre and resin components are the method of "tuning" this aspect.

nico5

SICK AL SPEEDSHOP wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 23:24
Flanker27 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 20:41
sucof wrote:

agree.

I dont think so because it sounds like more flex or wobbling is more clever and less honest. under the rules and tests they are ok. teams usually test their stuff before they go on the track to be save. the only problem is the test. a static test on a race car to check flexible wings does make not so much sence. a dynamic test would be better but not easy to do at 360km/h or 100m/s in Monza, with and without DRS, or in corners like Eau Rouge, R130 and so on. they should be able to make a dynamic test on a full round of a course but how can teams develope correct parts on 50 or 60% WT models without testing in adult size on a track? everything is in motion also if we cant see it with an eye without special tools.

I would like to see all front wings in the same corner, especially of the RB20.
Have FIA book a wind tunnel session at the teams' expense and test the actual wings before introduction?

venkyhere
venkyhere

F1NAC wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 11:45

The real use case of flexi wing is not just the straights where drag reduces, but mainly in high speed corners (where there is yaw angle to the airflow, which is the real use case of "wings" on an F1 car anyway) when the AoA reduces, reducing the front end bite. High speed corners become undriveable unless there is a bit of understeer - which is exactly provided by the flexing wing. In low and medium speed corners, the wing doesn't flex much, and provides the necessary front end downforce for the front tyres to bite well and help rotate the car quicker.

So flexi wings' real purpose is in enabling "variable balance" on the car, suiting each type of corner differently, as the doctor ordered.

bhall II
bhall II

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 03:27
Spa FP2
I don't see anything here that might be beneficial, which I guess means I don't see anything here that looks intentional.

The end plates are shadowed by wide, rotating wheels, and the effect of the wheels' wake on air flow under/around the car is orders of magnitude greater than the effect of a couple cm of intermittent wing movement upstream.

I think we're seeing what happens when a large, thin thing that can resonate is rigidly attached to a car that just passed over a rippled curb. The same thing happens to the right-front tire.

Incidentally, this is what it looks like when Ferrari tries...

Non bene

Vanja #66

Piola's photo of Hungary/Spa floor. It seems the rear lateral kick section (towards diffuser) was part of the changes after Silverstone, judging by carbon reinforcement strips

Launch spec floor bellow, for comparison

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 20:33
A floor photo, albeit from the wrong side:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 10:30
Piola's photo of Hungary/Spa floor. It seems the rear lateral kick section (towards diffuser) was part of the changes after Silverstone, judging by carbon reinforcement strips

https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... etail.webp

Launch spec floor bellow, for comparison

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 20:33
A floor photo, albeit from the wrong side:
https://preview.redd.it/julien-simon-ch ... 8341aee1a7
It looks to me like they put some kind of patch, not a completely new floor.