Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Renault R31

Thanks.
Yes, that has a McLaren logo on it...
Last edited by Blackout on 18 Feb 2011, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

gridwalker
gridwalker

madly wrote:Still I'm not sure IF nose has changed. IF it's shorter, then NOT MUCH as in 2nd photo, which has very strange perspective, possibly it was taken with wide angle lens.

With regards to the "short nose" photo : look at the positioning of the aerial on the top of the nose, plus look closely at the wing pylons in relation to the trailing edge of the front wing end plate. These reference points are on a different focal plane from the tyre and their position is skewed in proportion with the "shortened" nose.

This looks to me like perspective being distorted by using a camera lens with a wider field of view : Wide angle lenses accentuate perspective distortion because they operate over a greater range of relative angles.

The perspective distortion will be similar to the one seen in the image below, except the photo of the Renault is focussed on a much smaller focal point.

This is indicative of the fact that you cannot make direct comparisons between photos taken using different lens types.

The camera does lie, after all.
Last edited by gridwalker on 18 Feb 2011, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Arunas
Arunas

richard_leeds wrote:That second picture does look mighty strange.

The leading edge of the front wing is mandated to be 1000m ahead of the front wheel centre line. You can see that edge aligns in all 3 pics. So one has to conclude they are testing a short nose, just like the Williams.

viewtopic.php?p=226319#p226319
Nose is tha same, angle in pics is different, just look at front and rear wings endplates position comparing left/right side of vehicle.

marcush.
marcush.

It looks like the MES highspeed logger:
http://www.mclarenelectronics.com/Produ ... sl-500.asp

HampusA

Hangaku wrote:No, the logo is in the same place, it's the angle of the car that the photo was taken at. The oly thing that is changed, is your perspective.
Nope, check the images one more time. The logo has changed. it now sits slightly over the part that connects to the front wing. In Jerez the sticker did not.
The truth will come out...

netoperek
netoperek

MES is "Microsoft Standard Electronic Control Unit". Not related to McLaren.

marcush.
marcush.

Mclaren Electronic Systems :MES makes sense to me .. :shock:

Spencifer_Murphy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a branch of Mclaren (not specifically the F1 team technically speaking, but you know...practically it works out the same) make the standard ECU's which they now all use?

If this remains the case...why is everyone so shocked?
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Richard
Richard

Arunas wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:That second picture does look mighty strange.

The leading edge of the front wing is mandated to be 1000m ahead of the front wheel centre line. You can see that edge aligns in all 3 pics. So one has to conclude they are testing a short nose, just like the Williams.

viewtopic.php?p=226319#p226319
Nose is tha same, angle in pics is different, just look at front and rear wings endplates position comparing left/right side of vehicle.
Doh silly me. The front left wheel and antennae give it away. It must be a very wide angle lens, the rear wing end plates are only just out of alignment, but the front is heavily skewed.

zgred

Last edited by zgred on 18 Feb 2011, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

Lurk

HampusA wrote:
Hangaku wrote:No, the logo is in the same place, it's the angle of the car that the photo was taken at. The oly thing that is changed, is your perspective.
Nope, check the images one more time. The logo has changed. it now sits slightly over the part that connects to the front wing. In Jerez the sticker did not.
Maybe the car was repainted. So logo is not as the exact same place as it was before.
You can't only rely on a sticker to see if a part of the car changes or not.

HampusA

Lurk wrote:Nope, check the images one more time. The logo has changed. it now sits slightly over the part that connects to the front wing. In Jerez the sticker did not.
Maybe the car was repainted. So logo is not as the exact same place as it was before.
You can't only rely on a sticker to see if a part of the car changes or not.[/quote]

Nobody has stated that there was a new nosecone after we discussed it. I´m not claiming they have changed to a new nosecone. I did for a few minutes but that was cleared up.

Hangaku though says that the sticker was at the same place in both pictures which we know is not true.
The truth will come out...

furnik28
furnik28

FrukostScones wrote:Image

whats that shaft thing above the steering rack is that what was banned when bar had front brake torque control.?
rok

furnik28
furnik28

Blackout wrote:The only thing that changed, IMO, is the sticker, like Hampusa said.
And yes, the endplates look different...

This photo confirms that the steering mechanism is placed very low in R31's nose, like the R30. But what the hell is that black box ? Sutton says :
McLaren electronics... I thought the ECU is triangular...

it must be a torqure transfer thing as there is the same thing as frrom the right side
rok